Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Wilshere

Bromlin

Hi guys,

Just picked up a Epiphone Wilshere in a local auction for £300.. The serial number on the back of the headstock is 500671 , could anybody help me put an age on it and even a value?

I have tried using a few different websites but they all seem to have letters on them!

Thanks

That serial number could be anywhere from 1965-1969 (numbers were not particularly sequential in those years) and the value would be very dependent on condition (especially repaired breaks at either end of the neck) and originality of components. If you add pics I might be able to help further (I have one similar). Value is likely to be 1000-2000 GBP depending on condition/originality. But if you play guitar I'd suggest to keep it and play it cos they are great to use. [thumbup]

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to try and upload a few pictures now.. I'll take some better ones tomorrow , I had seen a few around that price range but edits to want to get my hopes up!

I'm currently learning to play , and would love to hold onto it but the money would be a lot more useful right now..

COOL!! A REAL ONE! (i.e. Not an Asian reissue) Great Find! Although, I think with those fret markers,

and the inlaid MOP "Epiphone" it's actually a Crestwood! Also, if those volume/tone "Witch Hat" knobs are

original, it's probably a '68-69 vintage! You can check the pots, to see for sure. (Unless they're not

the originals??)

http://www.guitarhq.com/crestwood.html

Wilshire's tended to have "dot" inlays, and painted (gold) "Epiphone" on the headstock. Clean 'er up,

and play the Hell out of it! [thumbup][biggrin]

Also, the longer you hang on to it, the more it will go up, in value, most likely.

CB

yep, Crestwood I'd agree.

I think they always had barrel knobs but the good news is the cheap Wilshire reissues of past years also used them so you'll easily pick them up.

If its as good as it looks I'd say 2000-2500 GBP would be what I'd ask for it realistically. (But i'd keep it if I could - $$$ won't go down). This is the second highest appointed in a 5 model range. Though my personal favourite would be a Coronet (fouth in range).

Spectacular bargain in any case.

Thanks for all the info! Maybe she is a Crestwood after all.. Where would you suggest to be the best place to sell? Really don't want to Ebay it :/

Then, I'd try a good "Vintage" dealer. Since you said you paid 300 pounds, you're in the UK, right?

London, maybe? There are a lot of members here, that are in England, so they can probably give you

a better idea, Where you can take it, for the best price.

Cheers,

CB

Thanks for all the help guys , really appreciate it!

I'm not much of a guitarist (a drummer in fact) but knew as soon as I saw it that it was something special.

Yes I'm actually in Kent so not far from London.. But did think that's probably where the money is , will put some more pictures up for you soon and keep you updated on what I do with it :)

Thanks for all the help guys , really appreciate it!

I'm not much of a guitarist (a drummer in fact) but knew as soon as I saw it that it was something special.

Yes I'm actually in Kent so not far from London.. But did think that's probably where the money is , will put some more pictures up for you soon and keep you updated on what I do with it :)

Cool! It looks (by the area at the bottom, and the screw hole near the bridge, that it originally had the

Epiphone Vibrato. The previous owner, or maybe one before him/her, had the "stop bar" tailpiece installed,

instead. THAT will effect the "value," as it's not "original" spec's. But, IF you really want to sell it,

you should be able to get a LOT more, than you paid for it, even so. Good Luck! (I'd sure KEEP IT, if you

can!) [biggrin]

CB

Yeah that was one thing I did notice.. Also just seen that there is an original Epiphone Vibrato for sale on Ebay at the moment for around £300.. May be worth the investment!

I wouldn't bother unless you really want a trem. You've already had a result buying it at £300. You'd have to deal with the stopbar holes and it will never be 'all original' enough for a collector to pay top price (whatever top price is). And you certainly won't find it easy finding the original or re-issue barrel control knobs. I bought one of the early '66 Wilshire re-issues which didn't have the barrel knobs. I haven't been able to find any of the re-issue ones and the original 60s ones, on the rare occasion you see any, are advertised for silly money.

As you're not too far from London, if you want a sensible, honest valuation, take it to Chandler Guitars in Richmond or (definitely second best by a long way) Wunjo in Denmark Street.

Just a word of caution to stop you getting too excited. A guitar shop I used to visit (now closed down) had a 9/10 Crestwood on the wall for two years at £1700.00. People liked it, and it got 'tried out' a lot, but when it came to parting with £1700.00, they walked out with a Les Paul Junior, Special or something similar. They eventually banged it out for the buying in price of £1100.00. Keep it, play it and enjoy it in the knowledge that you've got a top class US vintage guitar at a knockdown price.

Thanks a lot mate , I have been looking for the original parts etc but like you said it's probably not worth the aggro!

I was definitely thinking of taking it to London to see what people think..

But as you said still happy with it and definitely got myself a bargain by the looks of things!

Thanks for the help

Archived