Gibson Brands Forums

2015 gibson les paul classic

scottpaine_69

I'm not the only person wondering about this. My 2015 gibson les paul classic has the 57 classic at the neck and the super 57 at the bridge just like it says on the gibson site. Another person who just bought one has the same, but all the dealers are advertising the 61 tributes in the 2015 gibson les paul classics. A.M.S., Zzounds, Sweet water all say 61 tributes including news letters from some of these places. I know mine are 57's and I prefer the 57's over the 61's. So my question is, Does gibson plan on changing them from 57's to 61 tributes? or is it just a giant misprint on every dealer site I've been to?

I have not even heard of "61 tributes" or any pup having a '61 in the description.

Not that I pretend to know. But rather, IF Gibson had created a pup modeled after a '61, I might be interested in what that would be.

This is from Zzounds and it reads the same on A.M.S.and other sites. The 61'swere in SG's

Zebra Coil '61 Tribute Humbucker Pairing

Capturing the full-bodied tone of your 2015 Les Paul Classic is your pair of Zebra Coil '61 Tribute humbuckers. Both of these baddies will dish out decibel after decibel of awesome vintage tone. Alnico V magnets make for a hot '60s sonic contour that gets more addicting with every note. Fire these humbuckers up and get yourself ready for some serious classic Gibson tone.<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">

I can't address how the '61s would sound in a Les Paul, but I have a stock pair in my 2014 SGJ and IMO, they are REALLY nice pickups. I have no muddiness what-so-ever, a nice mid-range growl when the amp is driven just past signal breakup, and really singing highs. I'd prefer they offered them with nickel covers, but the sound was one of the main reasons I chose the guitar.

Due to the different construction of the Les Paul, they may not sound quite as good (again, I don't know as I have no experience with them in an LP). The thicker/heavier body & maple cap may have a significant impact on how they respond, but the pickups themselves are top notch.

I have not even heard of "61 tributes" or any pup having a '61 in the description.

Not that I pretend to know. But rather, IF Gibson had created a pup modeled after a '61, I might be interested in what that would be.

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/1961-Humbucker-A-Classic-Reborn.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzCl-V_2kMk

'61's? never heard of them(?)

Hey Frets, you seem to be in the know, what's the go with these?

Check out the video Rabs posted. Most of the videos these guys have done have convinced me they're a couple of dolts, BUT they are spot on with their description & assessment of these pickups.

They're in the "Burstbucker" family - the coils are scatterwound (the unbalanced coil has the screw slugs so you have even more control over the tone & response with a few turns of a screwdriver) and they are very dynamically responsive. You can set your amp gain just below the breakup threshold and get a really warm clean tone. Just "dig in" a little bit and you get "instant dirt" on the passages you're playing more aggressively. They're probably not gonna be first choice for somebody who's into hi-gain metal, but blues & vintage rock tones that I would've killed for a few years ago are (literally) at your fingertips.

The clean tone is really sweet as well...they really do sing, but again, that may have something to do with the way they respond in the lighter SG body. Like I said earlier, I couldn't personally tell you how they'd sound in an LP or 335 (but I'm betting they'd be pretty kick *** in a semi-hollow body).

Can you tell I like 'em a little bit? [thumbup]

I don't think so. Didn't they put the 490R & 498T in the '13 SGJ & LPJ? I don't think of them as being "lower end" pickups even though they ended up in a couple of the less expensive guitars.

But now that you mention it, unless scottpaine is right, I haven't actually seen them in anything but the SGJ/LPJ and if IIRC, the "Peace" model (not a real popular guitar, but not exactly "low end" either). You may be right, but that'd be a shame. I'd think that's selling these pickups pretty short, but honestly, I haven't paid much attention to the 2015 models so I can't say for certain.

Why did they ever replace the ceramic 500t and 496r that they used to come with.To me the Classic was the hard rock high output LP.There seem to be so many different LP model variations at the moment why change one around.As long as you dig the different pickups sound no foul I guess?

Exactly! This 2015 Les Paul is not even the Les Paul "Classic" its the Les Paul "Bionic Shredder"

Bionic Shredder! I like that. I'm a shred guy anyway. I have 2 older les pauls with active zakk emgs but the new 2015 classic i just got has turned out to be my favorite shredder guitar. After some tweaking with my amp the stock pickups work very well for metal. My biggest plus is I'm playing in a blues,country,southern rock band and the coil tapping along with the vintage output of my 2015 classic works perfect for all that as well as my metal. I jam with my buddy in the studio writing metal that's tuned down at least 2 steps and the G-Force works with no problems as long as you have the right size strings for the low tunning. The more I play it the more I love it.

OK first off a 61 is just a 57 with Alnico 5 instead of Alnico 2. Second and most importantly the 57 and 61 ohm in at about 7.6k give or take and the 57 Super ohms in at 9k.

You are really not going to gain anything you are going to lose. A neck pickup swap maybe but do you know how to change magnets in humbuckers? You can just buy Polished magnetized Alnico 5 humbucker magnets from Addiction FX on ebay for $5 each. If your really dying to change a pickup there is always a quick connect 498t its got umph. Me I ripped all that stuff out and put regular pots in so I could put in whatever I wanted for a pickup.

I'm surprised...I understood the '61 was the same pickup as the '59 tribute, but with the hotter coil position reversed. I find the '61 to be a smoother sounding humbucker than the Burstbucker, '57 or '59. Which is why I like them. It all comes down to personal preference (like everything else on our guitars, eh? B) ).

To me, they capture the "vintage" vibe really well. Yeah, they're definitely a lower output than the '57 Super, but so were a lot of the original PAFs. If you got a particularly hot original PAF, it probably wasn't by design - more likely the inconsistent way the coils were wound back then since they weren't computer controlled.

I find that lower output pickups (if they're decent quality to begin with) handle a fair amount of crunch & drive no problem. To me they sound like they have a little more "headroom" and dynamic response than the hotter ones. As I said earlier, they're probably not gonna be the "go to" pickup for guys who are into metal & shred, so for me, I don't feel like I'm losing anything.

Vive la difference! [thumbup]

Archived