Gibson Brands Forums

QC, since when?

Madness

depends who you ask. some will say the 50s were awful, some will say great. many are of the opinion that the mid 90s were the best, others 2000-2003. many people believe right now is the best given gibsons long history.

there are good and bad guitars from every year. look at it this way, if a guitar plays great and has a finish flaw, then you get to haggle for a lower price.

guitarest..that's hilarious, I think along the same way as you; just that I think products made on Tuesday afternoons are fine.

This is exactly why too guitars from the same day would sound so different or play so different. Pickup wound differently

It's not just back in the day. If you could hear & play my R8 then R9...

Its gibson's fault as much as its the store/dealer's fault as much as it is the customer's fault.

They let it through QC and it ships to (say) GC... then they take it out of the box and case and notice (or maybe they dont, either way its their fault) it has some paint over the fretboard... and some frets are strangely high, and the bridge pickup looks like it's going to fall off (Ive never seen any guitar that arived like that thoug, gibson or not).

What should they do? THEY SHOULD SEND IT BACK TO GIBSON.

They dont, they hang it up and try to sell it. They probably tell Gibson they are not paying full price for it either. But they will try to charge someone full price for it, and will go as far as claiming "that's the only one they got in that finish, and they have heard there's no more X-model shipping in X-finish ever again, so you better take it".

Whose fault is it? Gibson 50% and GC idiots 50%

So, here comes johny... takes a look, falls for it, takes her home after paying full price (or not, it doesnt really matter). And the first thing he does is get online and start ranting all over guitar forums and GC/MF reviews.

Or... johny doesnt go anywere, he just orders said guitar from the GC/MF internet site. It arives... he takes a look... plays her, bridge pickup falls down...he does not send the thing back, no, he keeps it and starts ranting over the net (both forums and reviews).

Now Gibson has been taken out of the equation... its 50% johny's fault and 50% GCs. That's it.

If it had a crack in the headstock, then why did you buy it? Why did you pay full price?

I was reading some reviews the other day... a guy claimed he bought a guitar in the "scratch n dent" sale, and then whined about how he expected more from fender QC! Can you believe it?

I guess QC would improve if:

-Dealers sent back defective guitars instead of trying to sell them.

-Customers made their homework.

-Customers werent a-holes.

A guitar needing a setup is not a QC issue.

A guitar not sounding as you expected/dreamt is not a QC issue.

A guitar that breaking after you smashed it to a wall IS NOT A QC ISSUE.

A guitar not looking good with your favorite T-shirt is not a QC issue.

(yes, I've read lots of reviews, and most of them were posted by useless morrons).

Agreed, Thunder, very well put.

Here follows the only part where I could possibly disagree:

Now Gibson has been taken out of the equation... its 50% jhony's fault and 50% GCs. That's it.

NEVER. Gibson claims to craft the best guitars in the world and all that stuff. There is no way they could come out of the equation, because they crafted and shipped a crappy guitar.

To me it's 33% Gibson, 33% Guitar Shop, 33% customer and 1% on god.

But then, again, very well said.

This is exactly why too guitars from the same day would sound so different or play so different.

Thats why when people go all ga ga over a real 59 burst....was it a good one or a bad one? 1959 was a year, not a magic potion that made Gibson Les Pauls magical.

Agreed' date=' Thunder, very well put.

Here follows the only part where I could possibly disagree:

NEVER. Gibson claims to craft the best guitars in the world and all that stuff. There is no way they could come out of the equation, because they crafted and shipped a crappy guitar.

To me it's 33% Gibson, 33% Guitar Shop, 33% customer and 1% on god.

But then, again, very well said.[/quote']

I have to agree with Guitar slinger:

33% customer is absolutely right. I am guilty too: when I got my Firebird V I took it home

without checking it over diligently. And: one of the tuners was loose and the bridge pu

was cockeyed.

Now this was my 33%. The store did not inspect the instrument at all, it was still in the

original cardboard box and inside the case.

There you have it.

I could fix these things myself - but from the store side should have never happened.

I know... 33% 33% and 33% (the remaining 1% is luck, god, or whatever).

Anyhow... if it's the customer's fault, then its understandable, but gibson and the gibson dealer should be more responsible and should be more profesional.

Anyone can go into a store and buy a guitar without knowing what he wants, and the store should provide a quality product, regardless if it is a 10K guitar or a 10 buck cable, they shouldnt be selling sh1t.

Anyhow... if it's the customer's fault' date=' then its understandable, but gibson and the gibson dealer should be more responsible and should be more profesional.

Anyone can go into a store and buy a guitar without knowing what he wants, and the store should provide a quality product, regardless if it is a 10K guitar or a 10 buck cable, they shouldnt be selling sh1t.[/quote']

Well said again.

I would go even further. WE who have some knowledge around guitars (not only gibson, but guitars) will always be guilty if the quality control sucks. WE are the people who know stuff AND have means to be heard - I think. Things get more complicated for us who live outside US, but we still can mail Gibson, and we still can make some noise.

I'm not trying to be a revolutionary here lol

But there are those guys who are starting and have yet to aquire the know how to see if something is out of the line that guy most likely can't be blamed. He probably know something about Gibson history (or perhaps someone formed his opinion) and he trusted his money to the brand AND the guys at the guitar store. So if there are people to be blame here is Gibson (and it's bold statements, given the quality control) and the guys at the guitar shop who should have returned the item to Gibson or at least, the very least, have warned the costumer - and charged the refurbished price.

I've been playing Gibson's almost exclusively for over 30 years (2 Fenders 1 epi 1 Alvarez/Yairi in the mix), I've never had one that was bad, or perfect. They are handmade, that means, imperfect.

I say that the QC is 100% Gibson. None should slip out with major problems for the prices that they charge. But any problem should be backed up by the manufacturer.

As for statitisics, Yogi Bera said "Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical."

I have to agree, that NOW is the best they've been. Even though, at times, you wonder...given what shows up

in stores. But, there are a LOT more being produced, too...than in the 50's or even the 60's...so some are bound

to slip by. Plus Gibson, and every other guitar company, has a LOT more competition, than they used to. So, quality...

especially at their price point, has to be a major focus/concern.

CB

TG' date=' who the he11 is [i']Johny[/i] and how come he has all this cash but yet his mother and father allow him to spell his name without the additional "n"?

Inquiring minds want to know this and oh so much more............................................

I dont know... I thought your name was johny eusa_whistle.gif

Ill edit that and ad the missing N if you like... (john, johnny and others) arent common names around here.. most of them are called "jesus, jose, jorge".

Archived