Gibson Brands Forums

2006 Gibson J-45 Custom Shop Limited Edition Koa

duane v

I've got one I purchased from Rainbow Guitars in AZ about 6 months ago. I absolutely love it. I won't go into all the reasons why - you're obviously aware of why it's a great guitar or wouldn't be at the 'how much' stage.

I paid $2,900 new, with warranty. I would not sell it. I've only got 2 other Gibsons - I try hard not to get into the 'which one do I like best?" mode, but for the past 5 months - I've played this one 90% of the time.

Rainbow only had 2 and I believe sold them pretty quickly. Many Gibsons now appear to be either limited edition, limited runs, or something similar - which tends to drive up the prices if you really want a particular model.

How much if in perfect condition? I like to think in ranges "what is the most a reasonable buyer would pay VS what is the least a reasonable seller would take?", somehow trying to factor out the possibility of a desperate seller or a 'money is no object' buyer. My best guess (being obviously biased) would be a high of the $2.600 and a low of $2,200. I'm considering prices have and are going up, and the fact it is 8 years old. But some would argue 2006 is right in the middle of another 'golden age' of Gibson Acoustics and, even though they aren't vintage by any stretch - they are from a proven, tried and true, brand spankin' new "era". Let me know how this develops for you, or at least - how it works out in the end. Good Luck ! Jim

Not sure if this will help or not but I bought a new 2007 Custom J-45 Koa back in 2007. They made 24 of them in that run. If I remember correctly, the MSRP at that time was around $4,000.00. I paid $2,153.99 for mine. It's a great guitar and I've since had several offers from people wanting to buy it, but I'd never sell it. If it's in good condition, I'm guessing a fair price would be in the neighborhood of +/- $2,000.00.

Just my opinion-

When it comes to Koa, the main reason I buy them is the looks Earlier this year i had an opportunity to purchase a J200 Koa NOS. Had my choice of two. One was stunning and the other was okay. I paid $500 more for the stunning one If it's nothing special, you should be able to go by comparison to new ones or book value. Or hope you get as good a deal as that 12 stringer

Just my opinion-

When it comes to Koa, the main reason I buy them is the looks Earlier this year i had an opportunity to purchase a J200 Koa NOS. Had my choice of two. One was stunning and the other was okay. I paid $500 more for the stunning one If it's nothing special, you should be able to go by comparison to new ones or book value. Or hope you get as good a deal as that 12 stringer

I doubt I'll ever find another deal like the 12-string,.... My Luthier is contacting Mr Ferguson, (since he knows him very well) and is spending more time in SoCal these days to see if he has any recollection of this 12 string... Typically from 1999-2001 the j-185 12 string was the one that was being built, so he believes that Mr Ferguson should be able to recall it, since it's very unique and probably the only one of it's kind.... I also contacted the lady from the pawn shop I purchased this from, and she will let me know if the person who pawned will contact me with any additional information.

Changing gears, I found 2000 Gibson Nick Lucas reissue locally my Luthier has directed me to.... The price is very attractive since the guitar belongs to the owners son that passed from cancer some time ago... I kinda feel a little weird about it, but I'm going to get to see it this Friday, so if the guitar is in great condition, I may buy it.

$2900 and $2150 are two radically different new street prices. Assuming $2900 is the current average, used, excellent condition, should be about 2/3s - 2 grand. But that being a fairly rare model might knock that up a bit.

P

Phelony, part of the reason for the difference is the 7 year difference in when they were bought. In that timeframe, some tonewoods have become more pricey.

There was one on Reverb recently. Used but it even still had the plastic on the pickguard. It went for something like $2250.

From what I gather Koa can be a real tempermental wood when it comes to guitars. The ones I have played tended to sacrifice something on the low end but had nice upper-mids and highs. Then again, every guitar is different. Would get awful boring if they were not.

Archived