Gibson Brands Forums

Wanted to play a little jam for a pal I lost

duane v

I've known Julian since the age of 5 and I tragically lost him this past September. We grew up together playing music since 5 taking piano lessons together, and was my bass player.... There's a couple of hiccups, but he would have loved my new 12 string and he always told me; "Never worry about **** ups, because it's only rock n roll." But I do Wish He Was Here... He really walked me through my split up with my ex-wife and I'm not sure how I could had done it without him.... So here's one to you Jude and the Big Gig in the sky [wink]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQp_uRHJeWs&list=UUN5fpMV5-njXJjntUdP6cww

Very moving!!!

I don't have tons of friends, I have a handful of friends that are very dear to me and I adore them.

Your sentimentality strikes home...

Good on ya!

And we're here with-ya/for-ya my friend...

Making music soothes the soul!

All the best, my friend. I've lost many in the last few years and it sucks.

There are times I'll think of something, and the only people it would mean anything to are now gone, except me.

Other times I'll ponder a question in my mind only to come to the realization that the only people who would know the answer........ Are gone.

Again, the very best.

That sounds fantastic Duane. Is that the new 12 string?

Ya it's the new 12ver.... I was a little sauced when I played that...lol.... But Jude wouldn't had mind.... Probably a requirement prior to playing Pink Floyd.....

Have great 2015 all!!! [thumbup]

Nice job on the tune, Duane. The guitar sounds great, too. Sorry about your friend. My best friend of 40 years took his own life a little over a year ago. Definitely no ******* picnic when you lose someone that close to you. Hang in there...

Same scenario with my pal..... just a total shock.... I still cant comes to grip as to the why.... He had a beautiful wife and two wonder little daughters 6 and 10 years old [crying]

I really hate to say this, but as one ages, one sees so many relatives, friends and loved ones pass before us.

It never gets easier, but I think with age we realize the fragility of our existence here, and look more often into a metaphorical mirror of our own lives and those whom we cared for who are gone; and recognize we too soon will also be gone and wonder what we have given and what more we might and should have given.

Nice sound, Duane.

Seriously, with the new year beginning today, I think it appropriate we ask ourselves if we've done as well as we should in showing affection and respect for those close to us - including our own internal selves.

There ain't no reason why whether or not we believe in a larger fabric of existence. I think we simply hurt and as that eases, hope we might ourselves grow from it.

I'll add that I'm not so certain that death brings the only factor one might mourn in this passage. Ain't always been for me, nor for friends who have echoed that recognition.

m

There is a lot in your version that I like better than the "origonal" version.

You problably think I'm blowing smoke, but the vocals are better, more musical, particularly in the "fall off" at the end of the lines, and the changing of notes. The guitar track, while being plainer than the origonal, is sweeter when you do licks and fingering changes few as they are.

Sometimes, I wonder why you are doing so much cover stuff.

Thanks Stein..... I heard the song on the way back from my parents last night, so I thought I would learn it and dedicate it to my bro..... Easy to learn.... But to write a song like that is incredible of David Gilmour.... The guy is a monster

Very nice tribute. Great playing (as usual); wish I had your voice. It was a bad year for me too. I lost my uncle, my godfather, a longtime college friend to a heart condition, and another colleague to cancer. My godfather had amazing Purple Heart Vietnam (very scary) story that he finally told me about last year (he never even told his wife or my father), which I'll post someday here.

Archived