Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG '60s Tribute Guitar at Sam Ash

Searcy

I bought this version of the Gibson 60's tribute SG a couple of years back for $400 off my local craigslist at the time they were selling new for $800 on Musicians Friend. The guy needed money for rent & had only owned it a very short time.

The one you posted above is a really good buy for that price. [thumbup]

gibson-sg-special-60s-tribute-sgsp6wcch1.jpg

I bought this version of the Gibson 60's tribute SG a couple of years back for $400 off my local craigslist at the time they were selling new for $800 on Musicians Friend. The guy needed money for rent & had only owned it a very short time.

The one you posted above is a really good buy for that price. [thumbup]

gibson-sg-special-60s-tribute-sgsp6wcch1.jpg

Rev, I was eyeing these as well a couple years ago. But by then, they were being phased out and were difficult to locate new.

Love that guitar!

With the bolt on neck I have had 22nd fret lip curl ups and neck pocket cracks. It is rare but happens to new wood. I see they have scratch and dent stuff that is warrantable as well.

If you have a Strat long enough and it gets played enough, it will ALMOST always get a finish crack there at the neck pocket, along with other cracks.

I seen what you do to guitars, how you fix them as well as what you play. What the heck does a guy like you need with a warrentee for? Like YOU are going to send it across the country and pay shipping and wait when for most things, you would already have it fixed.

Scratches and dents are not warrenteed. Niether is a broken headstock. Nor the finish. Electronics? Do you even own a guitar you haven't voided that? About the only thing that I could see happening to one of your guitars that a warrentee would do you any good is if the thing just came unglued.

Im looking at a new Stratocaster, I thought about a used Classic but I like to register. Im not buying anymore Gibsons until they fix my Les Paul Classic models.

If you want to register a new Gibson that's already "fixed", you need to think about registering a new 335.

Everything you say it's supposed to have and supposed to be IS there.

I think you're worrying too much. I've actually been in the room while the maple and mahogany is being graded at the Gibson USA factory. The wood is graded better and far more stable now that it was in 1959. [thumbup]

I've been playing since 1971. I've done pretty much everything you can do with guitars, in a whole lot of places. Not only have I never registered a new guitar, I've never needed warranty work from any of the American guitar companies. Hundreds of guitars.

rct

No. Once I started making enough money, about 1980, I only gigged new guitars. I had a few of my old ones around until the late 80's or so. I haven't bought a used guitar in a very long time. I'm saying I don't register guitars, and I've never needed warranty work. Outside of these kinds of forums and the occasional nutjob that stops in to tell us how he's going to take Gibson down over some perceived warranty slight, I have never known a guitar player that had warranty issues with any new American guitar.

rct

LOL well good on you brotha rct

So you saying go for the scratch and dent?

10155565_338082509712562_8198422305980684196_n.jpg?oh=c513e8ae931a9b6ad34fd9088225afaf&oe=5547CA70

You buy what ever helps you sleep at night. I'm saying I buy old stuff for half price. If I paid twice as much just so I could register the guitar ... I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. [thumbup]

I was lucky no 60'tribute available at my dealer. But a few 70's! I have to resist....

Well I didn't resist on the 70's SG tribute. Just bought one via Sam Ash online. I created an account with them online and they emailed me a "Welcome to Sam Ash" email with a $10 off code so I just bought mine for $589 with free ground shipping. None of my Gibsons have the Dirty Fingers pups so I'm looking forward to hearing what those sound like. I would have liked that ebony one but the chocolate will be just fine. Mmmm chocolate. lol :)

Archived