Gibson Brands Forums

Bono may never play guitar again

JuanCarlosVejar

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it harsh that some of you guys say "I'm not a fan of so and so"

I mean with all do respect Bono writes better songs than everyone here.

How many of you guys will sell out stadiums and arenas with the songs you've written ?

I'm not a big u2 fan but I am in awe of a man with a guitar in his hand be it Johnny Cash , Bono or some of the folks on this forum.

I'd like to see some of you in his situation and then you read other people's posts that say "oh that guy , who cares if he can't play anymore ... I was never a fan"

Bono gave a blind man an opportunity to rock out on his Gretsch Irish Falcon and after let him keep it as a gift ... how many of the haters here have handed a nobody their most expensive/precious guitar and let them keep it after?

JC

How many of you guys will sell out stadiums and arenas with the songs you've written ?

I'm not a big u2 fan but I am in awe of a man with a guitar in his hand be it Johnny Cash , Bono or some of the folks on this forum.

I'd like to see some of you in his situation and then you read other people's posts that say "oh that guy , who cares if he can't play anymore ... I was never a fan"

Bono gave a blind man an opportunity to rock out on his Gretsch Irish Falcon and after let him keep it as a gift ... how many of the haters here have handed a nobody their most expensive/precious guitar and let them keep it after?

JC

Thanks Juan.

saved me typing.

You guys be careful .......'mocking's catching'

JC

Bono will recover and will play again - you'll see.

Bullsh1t.

Eminem outsells everyone here as well.

Does that make him a better writer.

No.

The most U2 I've ever heard was getting that garbage OFF of my iPhone.

Well, except for boo-ing them off stage in the early 80's in Phoenix when they opened for Tull.

Bullsh1t.

No.

Well, except for boo-ing them off stage in the early 80's in Phoenix when they opened for Tull.

I'm talking about men with guitars not about a white guy pretending to be black.

Next time U2 plays near you try to be their opening act and see if people will react to your music.

Like it or not (and I have said I'm not a big U2 fan) U2 is a legendary band.

You may think they are crap but millions like them ... and another million enjoy at least a song or two .

JC

Bullsh1t.

No.

you old curmudgeon :)

Well what I was and am saying is that I did not even know he played guitar that is how much I follow them. I applaud his charity work and do not wish him any ill will. I am not happy he was injured I am just nuetral when it comes to them. My point is the same as the quote from the band, I dont think it is going to keep them from touring and making records... his guitar playing could not be that crucial to their success.

Only because this has started to get ... acrimonious, I got my crystal ball out. I see Bono recovering and doing fine. I wish him well but if he never plays guitar again , my crystal ball says, he won't miss any mortgage payments. He seems like a very nice chap and I would never wish him I'll or injury.

U2 is not really my "genre" of music that I like, but yet, I AM a fan.

There is a wealth of wisdom to learn from these guys, if at the very least, what a "band" is. I mean, never mind the fact they have been together as a band for as long as they have, but have MADE MUSIC nearly the whole time. Not even the Stones have done that.

All 4 of them seem to be a class act as a person, and that's rare for any band. Rare for the music industry.

While they don't HAVE to work for any reason at all, they still maintain a work ethic, both in effort when they do work, AND the fact they still feel a need to.

Anyway, back on topic: Bono may not be playing guitar on records, or be a world talent, but he IS a guitar player in the sense of the word. It is a loss, BUT- unlike a lot of us "guitar players", he has a more usefull, meaning full instrument to use that would ultimately take the edge off, make the whole issue moot.

However, I personally think he is mistaken. His old elbow may have been fine, but titanium is a considerable upgrade. Once the healing is done, he will likely be able to play for longer periods of time, and maybe even better. Perhaps that's something the band can do with or without.

Except Murph.......

dry.gif

Come on Murph, you can't be such a badass.

I don't like the music of U2 2 !!!

But I still wish the poor bastard Bono to recover. Driving bicicle on that age is DANGEROUS and can be VERY STUPID (as we can see).

This summer I did some bicycling and I understood that at my age (53) it can be life-threatening. After I made some 80 km for some 3,5 hours I went to buy miself a helmet!........

And Bono will play again guitar and I really hope that he will play better. Because if he doesnt play better after recovering - why on earth to start again???

Cupla points...

First, the question of if one can't play as well after an accident as before... i think one may need to use different concepts of technique, but one might also hope that with age one might improve in "class" of playing, even it it's simply basic chord rhythm playing.

Second... I think it's asking for bad karma to wish bad things for others, other than in the sense of war or criminal apprehension and "punishment."

All that aside, Bono could walk into my office, or sit next to me at a bar, and I'd not have a clue who he is. Ditto his music.

But if guitar has been part of one's life for a large percentage of it, I think it's a hard thing either to have to stop playing or to have to accept lesser quality of technique. Yeah, one might overcome the depressed feelings of it, but OTOH, it's still an open spot in the completeness of that life.

Karma... I hope not to tempt it.

m

Driving bicicle on that age is DANGEROUS and can be VERY STUPID (as we can see). This summer I did some bicycling and I understood that at my age (53) it can be life-threatening. After I made some 80 km for some 3,5 hours I went to buy miself a helmet!..

Easy there my young friend. [sleep] Sorry but age has nothing to do with it. At 56 I am a quite successful competitive cyclist - without age brackets or categories. Riding a bike is like everything else. If you do it properly without getting hit by someone else or crashing yourself - it is completely safe and very healthy for you. If one of those 2 things occur, it doesn't matter your age or ability. [cool]

Hah ! I thought I was the only one that wouldn't recognize him if he was sitting next to me in a bar! Like many here - I had an injury that I was sure was going to end my guitar playing. It didn't, fortunately. Left hand ring finger bent all the way backward and broke a little. I decided I couldn't stand the thought of not playing - so I didn't think on it. I just got 3 or 4 Occupational Therapy sessions and did a lot on my own. Of course, every injury is different and Bono's may be worse than mine. But, empathy is one of the things that makes us human - and I would never wish anyone who enjoyed music anything but a full recovery of their ability to play at whatever level they enjoyed.

BBG, is 'curmudgeon' one of those quaint English words you people like to drop every now and then? Is it like an English shelalagh? Should Murph and Bono be worried?

Archived