Gibson Brands Forums

How do you finally decide???

ufboy73

guys,

i was in the process of trying out guitars thinking i was trying to decide whether to go with '57 or '60 reissue. in the shop they had a harrison model les paul (the 'lucy' recreation) and now i am really torn between the '57 and the harrison.

the '57 played just simply fantastic. the harrison (though certainly not bad) was not as much a player as the '57 but had all the sorts of intangibles that you would think (looks, relative rarity, cool story behind the original, etc.). it would be a great addition to a guitar collection i think.

i am curious what you guys would do in this situation. do you solely decide on the basis of playability or do you also factor in just the fact that you may want a particular piece for reasons other than its just a killer player?

i could see having both at some point but this is going to be my first and only LP for a while so it really seems like which should i get first. the 'player' seems like it should come first but the the likelihood of finding another harrison in such condition down the road could be very tough.

how do you guys make your final buying decisions and what advice would you give here???

thanks a lot!

You decide *why* you want to buy a guitar in the first place. In your situation, if you're buying it to play it, buy the 57; if you're buying it to stick it in a case to sell later at a profit, buy the Harrison. I'm a bit shallow so I won't deny that there is "coolness factor" involved when I buy a guitar, but I always defer to playability as that's the reason I buy them in the first place. YMMV

You decide *why* you want to buy a guitar in the first place. In your situation' date=' if you're buying it to play it, buy the 57; if you're buying it to stick it in a case to sell later at a profit, buy the Harrison. I'm a bit shallow so I won't deny that there is "coolness factor" involved when I buy a guitar, but I always defer to playability as that's the reason I buy them in the first place. YMMV[/quote']

+1 What Rich said... If they both played and sounded the same no question, get the Harrison because you like it better. If the 57 sounds and feels better the 57, also a very cool guitar... If money is no object get both, stick the Harrison under your bed and only show it to your friends and play the 57....

Playability at the store, in the "stock" set-up will differ. You may not like the set-up, and that can easily be improved.

If by playability you mean tone, response to your dynamics, neck size etc, then you should go for what makes you most inspired. Most good guitar shops will take some time and do a set-up for you before you buy, so you are sure. But things that are fixed, like neck profile, and tone from the wood are not change-able of course, so you need to do some experimenting, and try both in each situation you do use them in, and might want to get into.

The number one thing is to not rush your decision. There are always more guitars out there. If one gets bought in the time that you take to decide, then it wasn't meant to be, don't look back... unless you are certain you want "this one", don't force the purchase, then you will never regret buying the one you do.

the '57 played just simply fantastic. the harrison (though certainly not bad) was not as much a player as the '57 but had all the sorts of intangibles that you would think (looks' date=' relative rarity, cool story behind the original, etc.). it would be a great addition to a guitar collection i think.[/quote']

I'm gonna disagree with my Forum comrades for one specific reason: the playability has A LOT to do with the set up. So there is a chance that the Lucy has even more "potential"than the 57 (I friggin love both too much) if set up correctly.

I realize I might be making your choice even tougher to make. But, hell! I would love to be in your situation =)

guys,

thanks a lot for the input. most of you confirmed my own thoughts - that the playability needs to be the driver unless i am just collecting.

the setup was actually somthing i failed to bring up. i too had wondered if it the harrison was setup could it be as buttery as the 57. i didnt have any problem with the sound or neck profile on the harrison...it was more an issue of 'ease' of play, smoothness in bending etc. i definitely know the action was lower on the 57 but dont know if that explains the whole difference.

here is the real problem - the store claims they just lost their setup guy so they cant do the setup and they have no return policy so i cant take it to get setup and then see if i like it....do i need to pass on both guitars here and find a decent store thats at least capable, if not eager, to try and set me up???

Well, I strongly advise you to have them set up if you can - don't know how you could pull it off, though. Because of playability will be the key factor, it's no good to compare them both without a proper set up.

But tell me one more thing, are you REALLY 50/50 or is there one that you like a bit more?

And I don't really know if playability would be the X factor for me. There is also the tone and the "vibe". You see, when I bought my first real guitar, the Kotzen Tele, I could barely play it, as it has the fattest neck I have ever seen and I was kinda noob. But the guitar had such a tone, such a vibe, such and attitude that I faced the playability as a challenge. Guess what, I'm now a huge lover of fatter neck profiles.

So I guess there are no rules, unless to follow you heart. Seriously.

And have them set up, for god sake.

Here's another one to throw into the mix, how about the '68 reissue like BIGBEND's, they are sweet players and beautiful guitars (look for one of his posts with the aged Pelham blue LP avatar)...As for which one to buy? I say buy whichever one speaks to you...Play them, look at them...one of them will speak to your rock&roll soul...that's the one to buy.

If the '57 plays and sounds better, buy IT! The Copy of "Lucy" is just that...A Copy! A "marketing tool!"

It's not George's guitar, and as such, it has no "history" or "mojo," except what you place on it, in your mind...OR,

what the dealer fabricates, to get you to buy it. Might be a nice guitar, on it's own...and if you love it...go for it.

But, it sounds to me, like you already prefer the '57, for tone and playability?

CB

I could hardly follow my own advice, but I agree with SR-Zep.

If onone of those guitars REALLY drives you. If you can't stop thinking about one of them even while you are sleeping - ok, less cliches - then perhaps it's not the one and maybe you could take some time and keep searching.

But don't let me get into your business, please =)

Maybe try going to the store and without looking at which one you are playing, make a decision. almost as if you were blindfolded. that way you can truly follow your heart. after all, a guitar isn't getting much use sitting around waiting to be sold in a few years. instruments like that were made to be appreciated....and played.

hey guys,

just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts. i went to the store again and decided if nothing was special enough to make it a no-brainer, i would walk out and just keep on looking...i ended up walking out with a cherry red es 335 block neck:)

seems out of nowhere, based on previous comments, but this was something i was really interested in several months ago. it was not as buttery as some of the les pauls i tried but i loved its full, warm sound plugged in and i just couldnt take my eyes off of it when i set it down to try some of the others. in a weird way, the fact that it wasnt the easiest to play (i.e. i had to work just a bit) brought a perverse pleasure....it just had an old school vibe that i really loved.

I will still get my reissue LP someday, but it can wait for now:)

thanks again

hey guys' date='

just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts. i went to the store again and decided if nothing was special enough to make it a no-brainer, i would walk out and just keep on looking...i ended up walking out with a cherry red es 335 block neck:)

seems out of nowhere, based on previous comments, but this was something i was really interested in several months ago. it was not as buttery as some of the les pauls i tried but i loved its full, warm sound plugged in and i just couldnt take my eyes off of it when i set it down to try some of the others. in a weird way, the fact that it wasnt the easiest to play (i.e. i had to work just a bit) brought a perverse pleasure....it just had an old school vibe that i really loved.

I will still get my reissue LP someday, but it can wait for now:)

thanks again[/quote']

Excellent choice! Best of both worlds...warmth and fat tone of a semi-hollow body, and grit and sustain

of a LP! You DONE GOOD! ;>)

CB

Archived