Gibson Brands Forums

Kanye West, Paul McCartney team for sweet new single

Searcy

LOL..... Some of the older folks are getting all bent out of shape because some of the younger folks don't know who Paul McCartney is....lol (friggin grouchy old people kill me).

Actually I find it kinda cute how Kanye fans are reacting to the collaboration, and really shows that these younger folks can appreciate talent they are not yet aware of.... But I'm sure if "Beatles" were thrown in there they would know...... I'll bet Paul finds it amusing

WTF is Kanye West?!! LOL (Turn about, is fair play, right?!)

Well, Paul McCartney has always been music's "Diplomat!" Trying to find the best in everything,

even when it's at it's most elusive! Kanye, I can do without! But, more power to you, Paul!

As to Kanye "Giving" Paul a Career?! LOL [lol] [lol] [lol] HE probably thinks he's helping

boost Mr. Macca's "relevance" in "today's music." Kanye's about THAT Arrogant, and Narcissistic!

But, that's on IMHO (as always)!

CB

Maybe, but a lot less "in your face," about it...IMHO.

CB

LOL.... You got a point..... But switching to the other Beatle John, he had his share of making an *** out of himself publicly.... They guy managed to get himself thrown out of the United States for Pete's sake...lol... Even the more (at the time) obnoxious Rolling Clones managed not to do that. [biggrin]

I feel like I did when I was 15 years old, and heard that Paul was recording tracks with Michael Jackson.... that feeling X 1000!!!!

In retrospect, that was good news compared to a track with Kanye!

Ah, well... Macca doesn't need my approval!

bless their pointed little heads... oh, and don't forget to vote.

Hilarious! I teach middle school and you wouldn't believe the number of kids (who claim to be into music) who have never heard of Elvis or the Beatles, let alone the more "obscure" musical artists. I blame the parents

Hilarious! I teach middle school and you wouldn't believe the number of kids (who claim to be into music) who have never heard of Elvis or the Beatles, let alone the more "obscure" musical artists. I blame the parents

Oh there are worse things in the world than some kids not knowing about Paul McCartney

And you are lucky enough to be exposed to young people.... Maybe you can play a beatles song and write the lyrics on the chalk board and spark a discussion

A good movie that conveys teacher to students relations is Dead Poets Society.... Really shows the sharing between young and old [thumbup]

Oh there are worse things in the world than some kids not knowing about Paul McCartney

And you are lucky enough to be exposed to young people.... Maybe you can play a beatles song and write the lyrics on the chalk board and spark a discussion

A good movie that conveys teacher to students relations is Dead Poets Society.... Really shows the sharing between young and old [thumbup]

You're right Duane. Some of my students don't know how many months in a year, how to change a dollar, etc. Knowing who Paul McCartney is does not rank high on valuable living skills, but for some reason I feel that knowledge of musical pioneers should be part of the curriculum!

I presented my class a unit on rhyming/poetry/lyrics and used Dylan and the Beatles as examples. That got the discussion started, but their interest really piqued when I asked them to present their own examples of rhyming and lyrics. That's when the modern Rap lyrics appeared (including Kanye)! I had to put the kibosh on that due to some of the "inappropriateness" of the lyrics for 13-14 year olds. That reminded me that some Beatle's lyrics used to be considered inappropriate!

You're right Duane. Some of my students don't know how many months in a year, how to change a dollar, etc. Knowing who Paul McCartney is does not rank high on valuable living skills, but for some reason I feel that knowledge of musical pioneers should be part of the curriculum!

I presented my class a unit on rhyming/poetry/lyrics and used Dylan and the Beatles as examples. That got the discussion started, but their interest really piqued when I asked them to present their own examples of rhyming and lyrics. That's when the modern Rap lyrics appeared (including Kanye)! I had to put the kibosh on that due to some of the "inappropriateness" of the lyrics for 13-14 year olds. That reminded me that some Beatle's lyrics used to be considered inappropriate!

Unfortunately us adults managed to have music removed from grade school, and that's OUR FAULT!!! Then we have the audacity to get upset when our young people don't get exposed to music basics..... How many parent these days make a conscience effort to expose their kids to learning music? Very few.... But are usually the first parents to cry foul when their kids get into other various forms of music we don't consider music.... Tough to blame a 10 year old.... [confused]

Don't kid yourself.... Paul is just as if not more Arrogant, and Narcissistic than Kanye..... Just ask John Lennon [biggrin]

I'd always read that behind that "babyface" facade there was a real surly, manipulative pr__k lurking. I never actually noticed it myself till about 10 years ago. He probably just hid it from the public better when he was younger.

Maybe, but a lot less "in your face," about it...IMHO.

CB

Unfortunately, I have to disagree. As I said above, I never really noticed it until maybe 10 years ago, but anymore, in interviews, the easygoing, humble jokes feel really forced & he comes across as...hmmm...how can I put this diplomatically? Uh, REALLY into himself? But in all fairness, I guess if anybody's earned the right to feel that way, it'd be him.

I'd read the stuff where Denny Laine was complaining about the way he was treated in Wings. Initially, I thought it was kinda petty. I mean of course, it was all about Paul. On a good day, Laine's stuff might've approached Paul's lesser work (even within the context of Wings) and people weren't buying those records to hear Denny. But some of the nastier interpersonal stuff? I've begun to think it might've been considerably more than sour grapes.

FWIW, no, I'm not a Beatle-basher. I've got tons of unreleased stuff that didn't make it onto Anthology, just about every concert of note they ever played on pro-shot video & spent 4 years with a Beatles tribute band on bass. So I think I could fairly say I'm a pretty dedicated fan.

Funny thing is though, the only Paul solo stuff I ever really enjoyed was "Band On The Run" & "Flowers In The Dirt."

And as far as younger folks not knowing who Sir Paul is, let me tell you a story that happened back in 1978 or 79...I was in a record store (remember those?!!? [flapper] ) flipping through the racks when these 2 girls came wandering in. They looked like they might've been all of 12 or 14 years old. The one picked up two albums and kept flipping them over back and forth...back and forth. All a sudden, she turned to her friend and blurted out, "Hey look! Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings !" [omg]

I started laughing and the one asked, "What's so funny?" I told her she had just slighted one of the greatest bands in musical history. Then she asked, "So, for real then, which one of these records should I buy?" I told her to put the Wings album back and buy Abbey Road. I told her that even if she never saw me again, she'd thank me for it. Never did see her again, but I hope she understood the difference.

Damn...now I feel all old :lol:.

Well, I wasn't saying that Paul doesn't have an EGO! We all KNOW better, than that! [biggrin]

All the other Beatles complained, over and over, about it, all the while they were

together as a band. Never mind, afterwards! [tongue] lol [biggrin]

I guess, what it boils down to, if I'm honest with myself, is that I can't abide Kanye

West, and think on Paul's worst day, he has more class than Mr. West ever dreamed of!

And, to be honest, I don't see/understand this "pairing," at all. But, it may turn out

"just fine," for some?

Your Grumpy Old Man,

CB

Unfortunately us adults managed to have music removed from grade school, and that's OUR FAULT!!! Then we have the audacity to get upset when our young people don't get exposed to music basics..... How many parent these days make a conscience effort to expose their kids to learning music? Very few.... But are usually the first parents to cry foul when their kids get into other various forms of music we don't consider music.... Tough to blame a 10 year old.... [confused]

One of the most meaningful post I've read.

"No Child Left Behind," and "Common Core!" Those were Good ides?! [flapper][cursing]

And, the Arts (all of them) are the first things cut, when there are funding issues.

That's a HUGE mistake, IMHO. Music and Art (and it's creativity) can last a lifetime.

How long can one (realistically) play football, basketball, baseball, etc.? I have

nothing against Sports, they're important, as well. But, not MORE important, than

music and art...IMHO.

CB

Paul is quite multifaceted to know him in details. Once on our Russian vocal forum I found out that some of our singers know Paul as a vocalist very so-so. And I realized that they just do not know who sings Oh Darling! And when I showed them this song and that this is Paul, they were very surprised :) .

Archived