Gibson Brands Forums

Old Gibsons

vacamartin

image of selected instruments from Tom's collection

Nice. Guess you saved tpbiii(Tom) the trouble.

Why don't you just say "Beetlejuice" three times, there are many more shots like that he could share. ; ).

Edit: On second inspection, that reso Bassonator in the center does get one curious. Talk about niche markets!

Edit: On second inspection, that reso Bassonator in the center does get one curious. Talk about niche markets!

I would say perhaps a present for a bass playing wife who already had everything else. [rolleyes]

We actually bought that bass -- the prototype -- from the Gibson booth at Meryl Fest run by my 4th cousin, Larry Barnwell. At that time, Larry was the GM of the mandolin division in Bozeman. He has since gone over to the dark side: Martin.

I don't now how many of those were made.

Let's pick,

-Tom

I would say perhaps a present for a bass playing wife who already had everything else. [rolleyes]

We actually bought that bass -- the prototype -- from the Gibson booth at Meryl Fest run by my 4th cousin, Larry Barnwell. At that time, Larry was the GM of the mandolin division in Bozeman. He has since gone over to the dark side: Martin.

I don't now how many of those were made.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Oh my. Larry Barnwell is a good friend of mine. He lives about a half mile from me. Great guy and an amazing guitar player. He is the best thing that happened to Martin. I first met him in 1979 when he was working in Missoula Montana. He was in a great bluegrass band, "Chicken Lips". He has come a long way. If you ever get to Bozeman we can get him to buy lunch.

Oh my. Larry Barnwell is a good friend of mine. He lives about a half mile from me. Great guy and an amazing guitar player. He is the best thing that happened to Martin. I first met him in 1979 when he was working in Missoula Montana. He was in a great bluegrass band, "Chicken Lips". He has come a long way. If you ever get to Bozeman we can get him to buy lunch.

Well as they say it is a small world. I got to know Larry's father Clarence probably in the early 90s. Clarence was into Barnwell family history -- that is how I first met Larry and how I know he is my 4th cousin. I've seen him and communicated with him now and then ever since -- I have seen him play bluegrass some just because he sometimes posts videos on his FB page. The only reason I mentioned him here was because of his Gibson Bozeman connection. If you get a chance, tell him hello from his distant cousin Tom.

We have another odd bluegrass/Larry connection story. My wife and I have a bluegrass band in Georgia, but (now retired) we spend summers on the south shore of Nova Sotia Canada -- which is pretty far way from everywhere, even the rest of Canada. We get to play out there in the summer, and sometimes we are advertised as bluegrass musicians. Well bluegrass sidemen are pretty short around them parts, but an American blues musician from New Orleans immigated to the area about five years back with his Canadian wife. His name is Steve Keith, and it turns he was not always a blues musician -- for a decade or so in his earlier life, he had played professionally (banjo and fiddle) with a bluegrass band. Well for us he was a god send. With him and one other side man, we make a fairly credible bluegrass band for local events.

Well one day Steve mentioned that he use to play out west with a guy named Barnwell -- Larry Barnwell. Well, it turns out it was my distant cousin Larry -- I love stuff like this. I don't recall knowing the name of the band -- if he even told me. I know it was not Monroe Doctrine -- another band Larry played in. I wonder if it was Chicken Lips?

I do have an invitation from Larry to meet him in PA or MT sometime -- I don't know if it will ever happen. However if it does, I will try to find you and actually see if Larry will buy lunch.

Best,

-Tom

Archived