Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Custom String Recommendations

SlopeS

Morning all, I know there are a lot of string threads, so bear with me as I want the latest suggestions. I have a J45 Custom with the rosewood b/s, I put some DR Sunbeam strings on it and feel it lost a bit of tone compared to the Gibson strings that came on it and didn't last very long. I don't mind trying different strings, but was hoping to narrow it down a bit....any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

I like D'Addario PB EJ-16 Lights on my AJ. They sound much like Gibson Masterbuilt PB's, with nice tone from top to bottom. They don't last as long as Elixirs, but to my ear and taste, they sound a little sweeter.

I recommend trying a lot different strings to find out which ones really speak to you.

Bozz

Looks like the usual suspects are the ones to try, thanks for the replies. I noticed that the humidity in my room was running a bit too high. Up around 60%. After leaving the guitar out to dry a bit, the Sunbeams/guitar are sounding a lot better. So I may have jumped the gun criticizing the Sunbeams. It was sounding pretty sweet when I played it this morning before work. I'll still try the other strings though, just not as soon. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for D'Addario PB, I just mentioned in my other post I'm liking their EXP 16's, which have a very light poly coating on them - their version of Elixirs. They seem to work well with my AJ for several months now.

I had Sunbeams on my 95 RW J45 Deluxe. Really liked them and will likely return to them.

For something completely different, I now have Pearse Nickels on it - it sounds more than fine even with those, but I think I prefer the Sunbeams.

Considering that range, I suspect everything will sound good on this guitar.

On my now-gone John Walker Clark Fork (AJ ), I used TI Spectrums - a great choice for that guitar.

I'm using the original strings put on the guitar from the factory - Gibson Masterbuilt Phosphor Bronze strings, gauges 12-53. I like them perfectly the way they are. In fact I just ordered 3 sets of them today from Musicians Friend. $7.99 per set. :)

Archived