Gibson Brands Forums

All my Gibsons are gone :(

Gibson Artist

Car broke down, the luxury items had to go. Had to sell my Gibsons J-15 and Fireburst LP Studio and Orville lP to pay for repairs. What sucks worse is work has been slow, until it picks up i cant get another guitar. The les pauls are one thing, but the acoustic almost made me cry to watch it go out of my hands lol. Im sure some of you guys have been through this before, i havnt, at least, not to this magnitude. My gf did tell me that next time if i want i can buy an even better guitar, so thoughts of J-45 Customs danced through my head. A friend of mine is letting me use his epi sg special and its pretty sweet, more than anything i am back to being the Epiphone Artist. Thats fine, luxury items are exactly that, you dont NEED them, we just want them.

I need a family vehicle for my 2 little ladies a bit more than a guitar. Its a sad day, but someday i will not only recover, someday i will save my pennies and buy a j200.

Sorry, to hear this! "Been there, done that!" But as my wise Mother used to tell me: "This too, shall pass!"

Hang in there, and I'm sure you'll get another Gibby, as soon as you can. [thumbup]

CB

Thanks guys, it shall pass. I always find a way to get what i want eventually, i need to keep more emergency money in the bank than just 200 bucks.

Yeah man, you certainly did the right thing by your family... and that's whats really important.... as much as we love our guitars they are just things that can be replaced (eventually).. And next time you get to hopefully have an upgrade... :)

And you have friends to help you out and family to support you.. That's way more important that the name on the headstock of your guitar [thumbup]

Heres to a good 2015 for you and yours :)

Wow, a bad one...sorry to hear that.

Reminds me of the 80s when I had several hundred £££ to pay off (big money for me back then) and.....I sold my 1967 Strat.

I'll never get that guitar again ever, must be worth thousands by now......

But I still get the bills.

And for emergency money you need to add another zero to that nowadays!

Best wishes...

1971 guild Js 100 bass in the case

1974 Fender Tele custom in the case

1966 Framus arch top

1974 Gibson Ripper in the case

1976 Gibson Grabber Fretless

1984 JTG custom autographed by Robyn Crosby, Ozzy, Billy Sheehan and Paul Gilbert

1989 Fender Strat autographed by Bonnie Raitt

1991 Fender American standard Tele in the case

1991 Gibson Flying V in Tobacco Burst autographed by Micheal Schenker in the case (only new Gibson I have ever bought)

1997 Gibson Les Paul Studio DC

2005 Gibson Les Paul Special DC

2011 Gibson Melody Maker V in the box

That's not counting all the amps and pedals or the dozen or so Kay guitars I sold all at once.

Being broke sucks but guitars tend to come and go. Of those listed there are only snot two that I really missy

I've had to do it. My last thing to sell was my 3 pup Les Paul custom. That was 28 years ago and it was heart breaking.

If I lived by you, I'd give you one of mine.

I can imagine! No need, i can get more myself. Im not beggin for gear, just venting lol. btw, the Orville Custom i had was literally the best Gibson ive ever played, even if its considered Japanese Gibson or Epiphone Quality, it really screamed. I literally rattled the windows with those hot hot pups! Someday id like to get a R0, that's probably the one les paul with the exact specs i want. I just got to afford it lol. All in all, life has been good, i moved to a new apartment with my gf, daughter and cat. Live in a better neighborhood, got a new moniter for xmas and got my girl a coach bag.

I sold my gits and let her keep the bag, she deserves it.

Sorry to hear you had to empty your guitar stable to keep a set of wheels under the family. The closest I came to that was the year I was going to pay my taxes with my VISA card.

My son has sold off his guitars twice without me knowing about it.

The first time it was to finance an adventure, and the second time it was to buy lunches while attending university.

This year he asked me for a telecaster for his birthday. I did some research on the net and we went down to the local guitar heaven. He chose a Gibson SJ200 and I added an acoustic amp.

In highschool, he played an Ibanez semi-hollow in a jazz band. I bought him a Gibson L5 CES and a Roland JC120 for Christmas. I got totally pumped about him playing guitar again so got him back into lessons.

I've told him these guitars are not for sale. If he needs money, he is to come to me, and if he tires of playing, I'll store the guitars until he wants to play again. But you never know what curve balls life is going to throw at you. He may have to sell his guitars a third time. You never know.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. This seems to be an issue lately with good, decent, hard-working people in our 'once-great' country. I am sorry for your personal dilemma. I hope that things get back 'on track' soon......for you ,as well as a lot of Americans.

At one time I only had one guitar a 1976 Alvarez 8053. pretty guitar 3 piece back, excellent action and ok tone. between the ages of 24 to almost 54 I pawned that guitar a dozen times. I just never had enough money.

Finally landed a good engineering job and haven't pawned it since. But I went through some tough financial times. I was so broke in 1988 I did sell a nice "Electra Custom and a Shure PA system". The Electra was the most beautiful electric guitar I have ever owned ( I have owned a bunch), I still miss that guitar and the PA. I still have the Alvarez, but my herd needs thinning soon.

When times are rough you gotta do what you gotta do.

I SHOULD "Thin the herd," too! [blush] Trouble is, I can't seem to bring myself to do it. [razz][unsure]

It's kind of amazing, and "weird" too, that we get SO "attached" to these inanimate, mostly

wooden, objects. But, heck...I get attached to my car, too. Other's buy new cars every

year or two, I drive mine for a decade, or more. So...??? [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Archived