Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Signature 2014

RobertAndersson

I have been playing my Custom intensively for more that two years now and it is starting to show, especially on the frets. I'm into getting a second LP to ease the burdon on My Precious.

Went to my local dealer, played what they had and liked the 2014 Signature best:

ce06e0fbd84475eb54596d03e5092c00_zpsfd34e4a6.jpg

The color is called Honey Burst. The right neck feeling (50's), good fret/fretboard feeling, nice bluesy sound from the 57 pups. Got a very nice price and a few days to think it over.

Anyone out there who has got one? What do you think, any known issues with the model, how about the 15 db boost?

//Robert

Haven't played that model but i am familiar with the 57 classics....you can't go wrong there. Amazing PU's. As for the boost, I just bought a 2014 LP classic with the boost and I'm not loving it. It's kind of harsh sounding to me and the toggle isn't in an easy place to make it any good for a solo boost. My pedals are easier for that. If you take the battery out it becomes a kill switch. Also as D Ray has done with his Classic, you can allways mod it for a tone control.

<------<<<I own one. It is absolutely spectacular. It has impressive everything. Tone, sustain, action, features, you name it. It is the first Les Paul I've ever owned but not the first one I've played. It is however one of the best I've ever touched. Maybe slightly out done by older and much more expensive models. But not by much. The (now reduced) price is just unbeatable. I have absolutely no regrets about this wonderful instrument and I have pondered buying a second.

I should mention that it handles whatever you can throw at it. From mellow jazzy tones to full on metal. I really love the coil splitting. Splitting the neck pup and engaging the boost gets as close to a acoustic tone you can get without a piezo. Very "nothing else matters" sort of tone. You can get probably any sort of combination you would ever need and more out of the push-pulls and boost. Only issue is that two of the minetune tuners had to be replaced, but its quick and easy. I really enjoy the automatic tuning system but I wish the tuners themselves were a bit less delicate. But hey you have a one year warranty on electronics. If it still gives you trouble, you can always replace them with normal tuners.

Only thing I've done to it is I added the Bigbsy via the Vibramate method. No drilling. No damage. No worries. It looks/works fantastic.

I say absolutely buy it especially if the one you played felt right.

1420546805[/url]' post='1611367']

Haven't played that model but i am familiar with the 57 classics....you can't go wrong there. Amazing PU's. As for the boost, I just bought a 2014 LP classic with the boost and I'm not loving it. It's kind of harsh sounding to me and the toggle isn't in an easy place to make it any good for a solo boost. My pedals are easier for that. If you take the battery out it becomes a kill switch. Also as D Ray has done with his Classic, you can allways mod it for a tone control.

Thanks, very interesting to read about your experience. And when you mention it, I remember having read that thread by D Ray before, it can always be an option.

//Robert

1420550903[/url]' post='1611387']

<------<<<I own one. It is absolutely spectacular. It has impressive everything. Tone, sustain, action, features, you name it. It is the first Les Paul I've ever owned but not the first one I've played. It is however one of the best I've ever touched. Maybe slightly out done by older and much more expensive models. But not by much. The (now reduced) price is just unbeatable. I have absolutely no regrets about this wonderful instrument and I have pondered buying a second.

I should mention that it handles whatever you can throw at it. From mellow jazzy tones to full on metal. I really love the coil splitting. Splitting the neck pup and engaging the boost gets as close to a acoustic tone you can get without a piezo. Very "nothing else matters" sort of tone. You can get probably any sort of combination you would ever need and more out of the push-pulls and boost. Only issue is that two of the minetune tuners had to be replaced, but its quick and easy. I really enjoy the automatic tuning system but I wish the tuners themselves were a bit less delicate. But hey you have a one year warranty on electronics. If it still gives you trouble, you can always replace them with normal tuners.

Only thing I've done to it is I added the Bigbsy via the Vibramate method. No drilling. No damage. No worries. It looks/works fantastic.

I say absolutely buy it especially if the one you played felt right.

Billy, very nice to learn about you and your great guitar. Please post some pics!

//Robert

Archived