Gibson Brands Forums

A little advice from the pros...

Bhu

Hi All

Well I'm looking to buy a Custom Shop Les Paul and to be honest don't really know what I'm looking for. I do love the cherry sunburst look and have a Heritage Cherry Sunburst CS 402709 as a possibility. It has a richlite fretboard it sounds and plays amazing. Its new from a store which holds a lot of weight for warranty etc. But what of the richlite fretboard? Sounds a horrible idea for a £2999 custom guitar compared to the idea of ebony. But like I said above it plays and sounds fantastic! I did read the richlite thread on this forum but I'm still unsure!

Here are some other second hand options...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-Sunburst-/231440421499?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35e2ec927b

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-USA-Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-Shop-Elegant-Electric-Guitar-Stunning-Beauty-/221646280762?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item339b25d83a

This last one really looks very good.

But I'm no expert and don't want to buy something that I regret at a later date.

At the moment I play a Dark Fire First Edition.[duck] I love it but it gets a real blasting out there by the critics. To me it sounds fantastic and has been reliable since I got it on its release many years ago now.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong model of guitar even. I'm really not sure what the difference is between a VOS or regular R9 or R8 and R0 for that matter. I'm also not sure what a classic 5 custom is compared to the top listing Les Paul Custom Shop.

And so the education begins ;)

Any advice much appreciated,

Best wishes

Bhu

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

R8,9,0 - are Historic Reissues of `58/`59/`60 Les Paul Standards. Neck thickness/shape, and the grain pattern of the top is different year to year.

V.O.S. (Vintage Original Specification) means, that the guitar is very lightly aged. The finish is not that glossy as You would expect on a brand-new guitar and the hardware`s plating is faded a bit to appear like the well-maintained vintage guitar.

The Richlite-issue only concerns post-2011 models, that traditionally had ebony fretboards (Les Paul Custom). Some really hate it, others don`t mind it. If You like it, why bother?

Best wishes... Bence

Hi Mr B and welcome to the forums.... [thumbup]

People often dream about perfect guitars

Depending on aspirations and playing experience...making a choice is both art and science... :blink:

Playing in the real world is often the best way to make a decision

What does a guitar sound like through an amp at stage volume...?

How many guitars in a personal collection...?

V

:-({|=

Thanks for all the quick response its much appreciate!

My advice would be to go to stores and play something before dropping that kind of pounds stirling sterling on it.

rct

Hi rct

Yes this is how its started but believe it or not there are very few customs out there here in the UK other than post 2012. Most are that years or this early 2014's. I did manage to find one second hand in a store though but it was a deep red wine colour which killed it for me straight away. Sound was fantastic though.

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

R8,9,0 - are Historic Reissues of `58/`59/`60 Les Paul Standards. Neck thickness/shape, and the grain pattern of the top is different year to year.

V.O.S. (Vintage Original Specification) means, that the guitar is very lightly aged. The finish is not that glossy as You would expect on a brand-new guitar and the hardware`s plating is faded a bit to appear like the well-maintaned vintage guitar.

The Richlite-issue only concerns post-2011 models, that traditionally had ebony fretboards (Les Paul Custom). Some really hate it, others don`t mind it. If You like it, why bother?

Best wishes... Bence

Hi Bence thank you thank you, that's a really good jump start to my education ;) Do you have any info on the class 5 custom? As for sound is there a huge difference between signature, tribute and standard Les Paul? Sorry for all the questions lol

Hi Mr B and welcome to the forums.... [thumbup]

People often dream about perfect guitars

Depending on aspirations and playing experience...making a choice is both art and science... :blink:

Playing in the real world is often the best way to make a decision

What does a guitar sound like through an amp at stage volume...?

How many guitars in a personal collection...?

V

:-({|=

Thanks for that V at present I have a Dark Fire first edition, an Ibanez jem 10th anniversary edition, and an Ibanez 540r also an acoustic tanglewood guitar. This next Gibson purchase could cause a separation but hey in the famous words of Jimmy, I'll still have my guitar..

Interesting idea that it might sound differently stage amped to say a shop amp. Do you mean this detrimentally? Could a LP CS really sound off on the stage? It all fills me with trepidation and awe at the moment but really don't want to make the wrong purchase as if I'm to keep my partner it will be the last purchase of a guitar for sure :( ha ha ha

Cheers

Bhu

Hello!

If I am not mistaken, the Class 5 is a reissue-like instrument with traditional appointments, but based on the modern, regular production instrument. They are weight-relieved, as all Les Pauls between 1983-2013. Reissues aren't, if not stated otherwise (like chambered reissues).

http://www.gibson.com/files/downloads/custom/catalog2001.pdf

You will find, it is very difficult to follow all the model variations of the Les Paul guitar Gibson made.

Cheers... Bence

The 2nd link to the 2004 "elegant" Custom Shop LP....I would buy that right now if it was me, making an offer 1st. That is a fabulous, high-quality guitar IMO and everything about it looks correct and perfect.

No Gibson LP CS should sound 'off' on stage; if it sounds ok in the shop it will sound great at gig volume!

Hello!

If I am not mistaken, the Class 5 is a reissue-like instrument with traditional appointments, but based on the modern, regular production instrument. They are weight-relieved, as all Les Pauls between 1983-2013. Reissues aren't, if not stated otherwise (like chambered reissues).

http://www.gibson.com/files/downloads/custom/catalog2001.pdf

You will find, it is very difficult to follow all the model variations of the Les Paul guitar Gibson made.

Cheers... Bence

Hi Bence

yes my head is spinning already after a week of research lol. I guess really its just the sound difference I'm curious about. Are they all as good as each other on a sound quality?

The 2nd link to the 2004 "elegant" Custom....I would buy that right now if it was me, making an offer 1st. That is a fabulous, high-quality guitar IMO and everything about it looks correct and perfect.

No Gibson LP Custom should sound bad on stage; if it sounds ok in the shop it will sound great at gig volume!

Hi jdgm

Yes that's my favourite choice so far. The only thing for me is that its a bit dark. Also has no scratch plate or screw hole so probably never had one. I prefer the more sanded out middle look as in this one which is the first one I list above as new... http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=14071415081788 This isn't the one I've played as that one has a different serial. But it looks identical.

Cheers

Bhu

Hello!

They all sound great, but there are differences. It is really up to You. We all hear a bit differently. For example, I find the 490R/498T pickup combination (Les Paul Custom) a bit too bright. The general consensus here at Forums, that '57 Classics are the best. But, - You know - which is better? A green or a black Camaro...it's not a question of quality, rather a question of preferences.

I'd look at specs on the Gibson product site to find out what pickups are in different Les Paul variants, and try them out at a guitar shop. Burstbuckers; Custom buckers; '57, '59, '61 Classics; 490R/498T; 496R/500T; P-90s; Dirty Fingers - they all have their own character. Also note, the very same pickups will sound differently, through different amp/effects setups, not to mention: in different hands.

RCT and Versatile told You the wisdom: play them, and decide on Your own. I shall add: don't let others influence You.

Cheers... Bence

If only I could find a local guitar shop that had all the variants. I had 2 chocies from my local guitar shop the one I list here and a classic 5... :( Sometimes it just pays to live in the USA ;)

If only I could find a local guitar shop that had all the variants. I had 2 chocies from my local guitar shop the one I list here and a classic 5... :( Sometimes it just pays to live in the USA ;)

Yes, I know, living in Hungary with no Gibson dealerships anywhere near...

If You are in UK, Guitarguitar is a really nice company. They have shops in Birmingham, Newcastle, Epsom, Glasgow, Edinburgh...

I bought my L6-S from them - well, unseen, which is not recommended if You are not knowing what You are about to spend Your money on.

Cheers... Bence

Hello...

Hmm, well it is a hard choice.. but man that CS Elegant, wow.. Now that's something special..

Things you need to be aware of.. Mainly neck thickness... Gibsons have (or had) two main different types of neck (pre 2015 which is a whole other story) which are 60s Slim Taper necks and 50s fat (baseball bat) necks.. And actually even that doesn't describe them very well..

EVERY guitar is slightly different which is why its essential that you play them before you buy... And then obviously the pickups... Some are louder than others... But say if you like really hot pickups a LP Classic has the hottest in the range for instance. If you are mainly a blues player then maybe they wont be good for you and you should go for 57s.. etc .. A custom shop model really may be not better for you than a Standard or Traditional.

If you like that Elegant one, maybe look at the Rootbeer burst.. kinda similar but a bit darker.

I use two main shops.. Digital Village 247 who have a sale on at the moment

http://www.dv247.com/search/4493/1927/ProductQuantity/Descending/-/1/

And a place called Professional Music Technology (PMT)

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/gibson-les-paul-standard-plus-2014-electric-guitar-in-rootbeer-burst.html

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/gibson-1958-les-paul-plaintop-vos-electric-guitar-in-washed-cherry.html

Good luck.. All I will say is that it IS well worth the time and effort in finding the right one for you [thumbup]

Yes, I know, living in Hungary with no Gibson dealerships anywhere near...

If You are in UK, Guitarguitar is a really nice company. They have shops in Birmingham, Newcastle, Epsom, Glasgow, Edinburgh...

I bought my L6-S from them - well, unseen, which is not recommended if You are not knowing what You are about to spend Your money on.

Cheers... Bence

Yes that's who I visited last. Online they have more choices but the Birmingham store has only the 2 types of LP CS

I am split by the LP CS heritage cherry sunburst they have and the ebay 2004 Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop 'Elegant' which is stunning for sure. Slight belt worming but that's all. I like the idea of buying new for the warranty though. But id love to have the ebony fretboard... What to do!

Hi All

Well I'm looking to buy a Custom Shop Les Paul and to be honest don't really know what I'm looking for. I do love the cherry sunburst look and have a Heritage Cherry Sunburst CS 402709 as a possibility. It has a richlite fretboard it sounds and plays amazing. Its new from a store which holds a lot of weight for warranty etc. But what of the richlite fretboard? Sounds a horrible idea for a £2999 custom guitar compared to the idea of ebony. But like I said above it plays and sounds fantastic! I did read the richlite thread on this forum but I'm still unsure!

Here are some other second hand options...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-Sunburst-/231440421499?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35e2ec927b

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-USA-Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-Shop-Elegant-Electric-Guitar-Stunning-Beauty-/221646280762?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item339b25d83a

This last one really looks very good.

But I'm no expert and don't want to buy something that I regret at a later date.

At the moment I play a Dark Fire First Edition.[duck] I love it but it gets a real blasting out there by the critics. To me it sounds fantastic and has been reliable since I got it on its release many years ago now.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong model of guitar even. I'm really not sure what the difference is between a VOS or regular R9 or R8 and R0 for that matter. I'm also not sure what a classic 5 custom is compared to the top listing Les Paul Custom Shop.

And so the education begins ;)

Any advice much appreciated,

Best wishes

Bhu

Wow! A Dark Fire. I've been wanting one of those for years. Still bummed I didn't buy when when I had the chance... [crying]

Well, personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on ANY guitar I hadn't played first.

So, the E-bay stuff is out. Custom Shop guitars are like any other, in that there are great

ones, and those that are less so. So, I suggest you play a LOT of CS guitars, and find "The

One!" You'll know it, when you play it.

Also, in case you're more an "investor," than a player, then get the most rare, exotic/expensive

one you can afford, put it in a glass case, and enjoy! [biggrin]

CB

Wow! A Dark Fire. I've been wanting one of those for years. Still bummed I didn't buy when when I had the chance... [crying]

yes it was the best move I made to step away from Ibanez lol I love my DF :)

[blink] And not for nuthin but I can't fathom getting rid of a guitar I love because other don't like it.

Im not getting rid of it just increasing the collection with a CS ;)

Well, personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on ANY guitar I hadn't played first.

So, the E-bay stuff is out. Custom Shop guitars are like any other, in that there are great

ones, and those that are less so. So, I suggest you play a LOT of CS guitars, and find "The

One!" You'll know it, when you play it.

Also, in case you're more an "investor," than a player, then get the most rare, exotic/expensive

one you can afford, put it in a glass case, and enjoy! [biggrin]

CB

The one I like on E-bay I can go see and play before buying, but its 3 hours away by car. I have already played the heritage CS in the store(20 minutes away) sounds so clear and full I loved it! Its just hard getting my head around the richlite... Need some help there lol

Also on a side note...

if I had the money id buy this for sure [thumbup]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Custom-1984-/181632162604?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

Is that your sale lol ;) Well its way too dark for me and the chip/ dink in it really puts me off. I'm sure its a bargain though if you just want a CS not fussy and have a limited budget its ideal.

Cheers for your replies

Bhu

My advice would be to go to stores and play something before dropping that kind of pounds stirling sterling on it.rct < most important thing to do

57 Classics, P-90s; Dirty Fingers < My choice of pick ups

V.O.S. (Vintage Original Specification) means, that the guitar is very lightly aged. The finish is not that glossy as You would expect on a brand-new guitar and the hardware`s plating is faded a bit to appear like the well-maintained vintage guitar.

Best wishes... Bence < covered it

Searcy , ] And not for nuthin but I can't fathom getting rid of a guitar I love because other don't like it.

4H two cents worth

Welcome

Take Your time, don't hurry!

Even two guitars of the very same kind will be different. Really, try as many as possible. It's worth to take a longer trip to a town with better equipped guitar shops. Rather waste a couple of dozen Pounds on petrol, than spend thousands on a guitar that You have never played before!

Take it easy!

Cheers... Bence

Is that your sale lol ;) Well its way too dark for me and the chip/ dink in it really puts me off. I'm sure its a bargain though if you just want a CS not fussy and have a limited budget its ideal.

Cheers for your replies

Bhu

Lol.. I wish... if that were mine I would NOT be selling it I am pretty sure of that :)

Also if you have a bit more to spend.. The BEST CS guitars ive ever seen (not that ive played that many) are the Collectors Choice guitars... They are amazing in every way... but your gonna pay for that if that's what you are after.

Here

http://www.andertons.co.uk/Products/Products.asp?keyword=collectors+choice&type=search&attributeXML0=||||#1420646036769page-1

G'day Bhu and welcome to the madness that is the Forum. Bring your curiosity and a sense of humour with you and dive straight in mate.

If you will allow me to be a tad serious for a moment please mate (not something that happens too often, ask anyone here..lol), if your having trouble understanding what the custom shop stuff and these re-issue's are all about, then why want one? They do cost a little more than your average everyday Gibby too. So if your after a LP to play rock and blues and jazz and all that kind of stuff, then why not save yourself about 500 Pound and buy yourself an average, everyday Gibby LP standard.They're made to cover most things and they're an excellent, rock solid instrument. I still have mine from '77 and it's still one of my 'go to' guitars today. As faithful as a good hound dog (lol). Give it some thought mate, see what you think.

And welcome once again.

G'day Bhu and welcome to the madness that is the Forum. Bring your curiosity and a sense of humour with you and dive straight in mate.

If you will allow me to be a tad serious for a moment please mate (not something that happens too often, ask anyone here..lol), if your having trouble understanding what the custom shop stuff and these re-issue's are all about, then why want one? They do cost a little more than your average everyday Gibby too. So if your after a LP to play rock and blues and jazz and all that kind of stuff, then why not save yourself about 500 Pound and buy yourself an average, everyday Gibby LP standard.They're made to cover most things and they're an excellent, rock solid instrument. I still have mine from '77 and it's still one of my 'go to' guitars today. As faithful as a good hound dog (lol). Give it some thought mate, see what you think.

And welcome once again.

Thanks for the comments...

I already have a LP with my Dark Fire and I know from playing a few that the CS are a better sound. The one at the store sounds fantastic. On my next visit I'm talking my DF in to compare it with the CS and I think that will synch it ;)Also I would like a simpler LP than the DF as having to charge it up all the time makes it feel more techie. Nothing quite like just plugging in and playing ;)

On another note how easy or expensive is it to repair a pickup on a CS? As a sh one I found at a good price has one pick up faulty/ not working. So I'm guessing worse case scenario and wondered how much it would be... Still really having issues with the richlite for a fretboard especially as some of the materials used are carcinogenic and my fingers will be running up and down it all day sometimes...

Gotcha. With ya now mate, sorry. From reading your initial post, I wasn't sure of your experience level that's all.

Repairing a bum pup shouldn't be anymore expensive than any other model really. All depends on what you want to replace it with.

And as far as Richlite Fretboards are concerned, what isn't carcinogenic these days? From what I hear and read about that issue, I reckon the safest thing I could be doing is smoking big boy Havana's wrapped in bacon fat! LOL!

Gotcha. With ya now mate, sorry. From reading your initial post, I wasn't sure of your experience level that's all.

Repairing a bum pup shouldn't be anymore expensive than any other model really. All depends on what you want to replace it with.

And as far as Richlite Fretboards are concerned, what isn't carcinogenic these days? From what I hear and read about that issue, I reckon the safest thing I could be doing is smoking big boy Havana's wrapped in bacon fat! LOL!

So funny! lol

Archived