Gibson Brands Forums

Need help identifying old tube amp

GibsonKramer

Have an opportunity to snag this, but have no idea what it is. Supposedly works, but want to know what it is and what its worth, before I go take a look at it.

Doubt its something I would keep, probably clean it up, rewire and flip it... but is it worth it?

Anyone ever seen one of these? I searched and couldn't find anything like it. I found some reference to Rickenbacker and Electro... but not this particular amp.

Thanks for any help.

00000_hS8rkZllzae_600x450_zps3615ecf4.jpg00p0p_h8Za7Qf7Xu5_600x450_zps6b2a744a.jpg00c0c_cKqALmIWYVU_600x450_zpsc7143ff8.jpg00000_2kQxeNyzEG0_600x450_zps92afd47e.jpg

00808_dmq5hBSTUhL_600x450_zps34db7fff.jpg

00101_dmW4Ve0Ql4J_600x450_zps138270ad.jpg

00S0S_jtLrVNPw9g9_600x450_zps75f1caa4.jpg

Can't really offer much help but in case you haven't already found this here is a link to an amp (a few posts down) with the same logo and a similar rear layout from the Rickenbacker forum;

http://www.rickresou....php?f=10&t=426

The speakers of the amp in the link are Jensens and yours are Magnavox...but as Magnavox was founded by Messrs. P. Jensen and E. Pridham in 1915 there is a strong connection.

Sorry I can't offer anything more.

FWIW I think it looks great! I'll be interested to read your views on how it sounds.

If the link to the M8E is anything to go by it might sound somewhat similar to an early Fender Champ - which is hardly a bad thing.

Good Luck!

[thumbup]

P.

I can only offer experience. Crazy old amps are a one way street to the mac machine, withdrawals only. Nice to look at, fun to fix up, useless for gigging, might be recordable, definitely regrettable once you start trying to find the only guy in your state that wants that one to fill his collection.

"snag" is relative, so what do they want for it? It is worth it if really cheap and you have the patience to find the right buyer, like the current seller is right now.

rct

Can't really offer much help but in case you haven't already found this here is a link to an amp (a few posts down) with the same logo and a similar rear layout from the Rickenbacker forum;

http://www.rickresou....php?f=10&t=426

The speakers of the amp in the link are Jensens and yours are Magnavox...but as Magnavox was founded by Messrs. P. Jensen and E. Pridham in 1915 there is a strong connection.

Sorry I can't offer anything more.

FWIW I think it looks great! I'll be interested to read your views on how it sounds.

If the link to the M8E is anything to go by it might sound somewhat similar to an early Fender Champ - which is hardly a bad thing.

Good Luck!

[thumbup]

P.

I owned one of those Rickenbacker M 8 amps at one time - mine had a silver tolex (like this one I found a photo of on the internet) and I would be curious of any association with the amp the OP is referring to. Mine was a great sounding amp which sounded similar to a Valco made amp of the same time frame but since I flipped it some years back - I can't really provide further information to assist. I may have photos of the amp I owned on a CD around here somewhere, I'll see if I can locate it. I'm fairly consistent on taking & cataloging information on the more vintage gear that comes my way. In retrospect I wish I hadn't sold it only because the emphasis now in my musical meanderings is more recording with smaller amps in the studio as opposed to using my larger amps for performance & gigging. The Rickenbacker I owned did not need any work whatsoever so mine was an easy purchase at the time. I'll see if I can locate those photos I took back then.

rickenbacker-amp-m-8-control-panel-inputs-volume.jpg

I can only offer experience. Crazy old amps are a one way street to the mac machine, withdrawals only. Nice to look at, fun to fix up, useless for gigging, might be recordable, definitely regrettable once you start trying to find the only guy in your state that wants that one to fill his collection.

"snag" is relative, so what do they want for it? It is worth it if really cheap and you have the patience to find the right buyer, like the current seller is right now.

rct

Thank you so much everyone for the replies. I knew the Rickenbacker connection... but couldn't and still can't find this amp. I looked up the speaker and found search engine reference to them, but no actual examples or info. Thanks for the links and pics, that does give me a lot more to go off.

But, this answers a lot also, and where I was headed. I want to know what it's worth? I'm also interested, would this be something to buy, to tinker, mod and regain some long past-used knowledge. I was a Fire Controlman (weapons guidance) in the Navy. The old amp, that powered our big gear, was a 6', 6 drawer, extremely high voltage, box of tubes. I'm not looking to start up anything really. I was medically, forcefully retired (by another field, big trucks)... but I don't mind a hobby.

He wants $125 for it. Should have mentioned that, but was late... [biggrin]

Archived