Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Fender Coronado II

RevDavidLee

Actually this arrived yesterday but by the time she thawed out from being on a UPS truck for a few days I had to wait until this morning to give her a thorough work out. This is a brand new guitar that usually runs $699 (with no case) from Musicians Friend, however I was able to score her for $545 by contacting customer service & negotiating. I have ordered an SKB hard case from another vendor for $99 so I will end up at $645 total by the time all is done.

Let me state right off the get go that this guitar is perfectly crafted, the fit & finish are flawless, and the setup & playing action are perfect. The only thing I had to do was to tune her up - strings had been wisely loosened before they shipped. This morning I gave her a hard workout through a Fender Blues Junior in my living room. The tone is wonderful and the pickups gave a nice blend of some jangle (bridge pup) to a nice full bodied beefy tone (neck pup) and the combination of utilizing both pups gives a nice rounded clear articulate tone that can cover a variety of genres quite nicely. I can't wait to try her out with some pedals to see more globally what she is capable of. That having been said - with just the guitar and a nice tube amp - I'm thrilled with the purchase. As an aside - the guitar is stunning to look at. [thumbup]

Here's the specs followed by a photo without flash taken in natural light to show the stunning color of the Candy Apple Red finish. I added a shot of the headstock because it just screams "vintage". I love this guitar! With a Gibson SG 70's tribute on the way with Dirty Fingers pups in a chocolate brown coming from Sam Ash - it looks to be a very good start to 2015. Thanks for reading - enjoy!

Manufacturers verbiage & Specs:

OVERVIEW

The classic is back with greater sound, build and beauty.

The Coronado guitar is back, with greater sound, build and beauty than ever for the guitarist who appreciates a different Fender guitar with a special history. In the mid-to-late 1960s, the Coronado family was Fender’s first foray into the hollow-body electric guitar world. Now the Coronado name and style returns to Fender as an utterly cool new guitar in the Modern Player family, with stunning looks, tone and features.

The Fender Coronado guitar’s thin semi-hollow maple body has an alder center-block and bound top and back, with stylish bound f holes. Its “C”-shaped maple neck has a 9.5”-radius white-bound rosewood fingerboard with 21 medium jumbo frets and elegant white pearloid block inlays. Other distinctive features include dual Fideli’Tron humbucking pickups with three-way toggle switching, three-ply black pickguard, four skirted “amp”-style control knobs (volume and tone for each pickup) and an Adjusto-Matic bridge with floating “F” trapeze tailpiece.

FEATURES

• Thin semi-hollow maple body with alder center-block

• Bound top and back

• Stylish bound f-holes

• “C”-shaped maple neck

• 9.5”-radius white-bound rosewood fingerboard

• 21 medium jumbo frets

• Elegant white pearloid block inlays

• Dual Fideli’Tron humbucking pickups

• 3-way toggle switching

• 3-ply black pickguard,

• Four skirted “amp”-style control knobs (volume and tone for each pickup) and an

There's no other guitar like the Coronado. Order yours today.

SPECIFICATIONS

Coronado Semi-Hollowbody Electric Guitar

• Body

• Body Material: Laminated Maple with Alder Center-Block

• Body Finish: Gloss Polyester

• Body Shape: Other

• Neck

• Neck Material: Maple

• Neck Finish: Gloss Polyester

• Neck Shape: "C" Shape

• Scale Length: 25.5" (648mm)

• Fingerboard: Rosewood

• Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241mm)

• Number of Frets: 21

• Fret Size: Medium Jumbo

• String Nut: Synthetic Bone

• Nut Width: 1.650" (42mm)

• Position Inlays: Pearloid Block

• Neck Plate: 4-Bolt

• Electronics

• Bridge Pickup: Fideli'Tron™ Humbucking

• Neck Pickup: Fideli'Tron™ Humbucking

• Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup)

• Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup

• Pickup Configuration: HH

• Hardware

• Bridge: Pinned Adjusto-Matic with Floating "F" Trapeze Tailpiece

• Hardware Finish: Chrome

• Tuning Machines: Fender Standard Cast/Sealed

• Pickguard: 3-Ply Black

• Control Knobs: Skirted Amp Knobs

• Miscellaneous

• Strings: Fender® USA, NPS, (.009-.042 Gauges)

FenderCoronadoIICandyAppleRed_zps81d64686.jpg

FenderCoronadoIIHead_zps6e0e57fd.jpg

That is certainly candy apple!! Glad you like the way it plays and sounds so far. I have never been too big on Fender semi-hollows and arches (don't ask me why), so while much less expensive how does it compare to your 336?

I don't think there's a viable comparison between my CS 336 or my ES 335. Price differences for one & also I haven't gigged with the Coronado like I have the other two so could not at this early stage vouch for it's road worthiness like I could the other ones. Different animals. As well I've had the Gibson's for years - I've had this Fender since yesterday. O:)

I can tell you that having owned an original Coronado that these sound better. That center block makes a big difference in the ability to crank an amp & not fight feedback like the old ones. This reissue is loud without even being plugged in - always a good indicator how well she's going to chime when plugged in IMHO. Bang for the buck on this one is excellent. [thumbup]

I don't think there's a viable comparison between my CS 336 or my ES 335. Price differences for one & also I haven't gigged with the Coronado like I have the other two so could not at this early stage vouch for it's road worthiness like I could the other ones. Different animals. As well I've had the Gibson's for years - I've had this Fender since yesterday. O:)

I can tell you that having owned an original Coronado that these sound better. That center block makes a big difference in the ability to crank an amp & not fight feedback like the old ones. This reissue is loud without even being plugged in - always a good indicator how well she's going to chime when plugged in IMHO. Bang for the buck on this one is excellent. [thumbup]

I agree hard to compare a $600 guitar with a $4K one. But I guess that was sort of my question, knowing how you (and I) love the 336 why you would even bother with this. But now I get the impression it is partly a nostalgia thing having owned an original Coronado and now getting to play this updated version. Enjoy

I agree hard to compare a $600 guitar with a $4K one. But I guess that was sort of my question, knowing how you (and I) love the 336 why you would even bother with this. But now I get the impression it is partly a nostalgia thing having owned an original Coronado and now getting to play this updated version. Enjoy

I had a serious Jones for a Vintage original Starcaster back in the day and those were not only hard to come by, but were always out of my price-range at the time...

As much as I'm really not a Fender guy any more, I was thrilled when Fender reissued these axes!

I'm still planning on owning a Starcaster reissue before too long, but I gotta trim the herd before I can add another one to stable...

From all account these reissues; The Starcaster and The Coronado are really great...

Nice review man, it only gives me more GAS for my Starcaster in the future!

I bought a '67 Coronado at a junk shop in 1984 for $50. It had been refinished red with gold metal sparkles flung at it while the paint was still wet. I stripped it and refinished it blonde. It was the first guitar I ever leveled the frets on.

Killer guitar. Killer. The DeArmonds made me cry. Lost it in a horse trade. Owned it again a few times over the next 3 years. I refinished the body in Union Jack once. The neck ended up on a homemade maple Strat body with a Bill Lawrence mini humbucker in front, a '52 reissue Tele bridge and Tele Bigsby, and I sprayed it Cadillac brown metallic with matching headstock and lettered it "Stratocaster Deluxe". The Coronado body ended up getting painted hot rod flat black with a P90, an original PAF, and a '63 Jaguar neck. Yeah, shorter scale, but trust me, I made it work.

There's one old Coronado on ebay that has caught my eye but I'm also looking at an original K&F steel and a 60s Fender pedal steel. Can't afford all of them.

Actually this arrived yesterday but by the time she thawed out from being on a UPS truck for a few days I had to wait until this morning to give her a thorough work out. This is a brand new guitar that usually runs $699 (with no case) from Musicians Friend, however I was able to score her for $545 by contacting customer service & negotiating. I have ordered an SKB hard case from another vendor for $99 so I will end up at $645 total by the time all is done.

Let me state right off the get go that this guitar is perfectly crafted, the fit & finish are flawless, and the setup & playing action are perfect. The only thing I had to do was to tune her up - strings had been wisely loosened before they shipped. This morning I gave her a hard workout through a Fender Blues Junior in my living room. The tone is wonderful and the pickups gave a nice blend of some jangle (bridge pup) to a nice full bodied beefy tone (neck pup) and the combination of utilizing both pups gives a nice rounded clear articulate tone that can cover a variety of genres quite nicely. I can't wait to try her out with some pedals to see more globally what she is capable of. That having been said - with just the guitar and a nice tube amp - I'm thrilled with the purchase. As an aside - the guitar is stunning to look at. [thumbup]

Here's the specs followed by a photo without flash taken in natural light to show the stunning color of the Candy Apple Red finish. I added a shot of the headstock because it just screams "vintage". I love this guitar! With a Gibson SG 70's tribute on the way with Dirty Fingers pups in a chocolate brown coming from Sam Ash - it looks to be a very good start to 2015. Thanks for reading - enjoy!

Manufacturers verbiage & Specs:

Great looking guitar Rev nice score.

OVERVIEW

The classic is back with greater sound, build and beauty.

The Coronado guitar is back, with greater sound, build and beauty than ever for the guitarist who appreciates a different Fender guitar with a special history. In the mid-to-late 1960s, the Coronado family was Fender’s first foray into the hollow-body electric guitar world. Now the Coronado name and style returns to Fender as an utterly cool new guitar in the Modern Player family, with stunning looks, tone and features.

The Fender Coronado guitar’s thin semi-hollow maple body has an alder center-block and bound top and back, with stylish bound f holes. Its “C”-shaped maple neck has a 9.5”-radius white-bound rosewood fingerboard with 21 medium jumbo frets and elegant white pearloid block inlays. Other distinctive features include dual Fideli’Tron humbucking pickups with three-way toggle switching, three-ply black pickguard, four skirted “amp”-style control knobs (volume and tone for each pickup) and an Adjusto-Matic bridge with floating “F” trapeze tailpiece.

FEATURES

• Thin semi-hollow maple body with alder center-block

• Bound top and back

• Stylish bound f-holes

• “C”-shaped maple neck

• 9.5”-radius white-bound rosewood fingerboard

• 21 medium jumbo frets

• Elegant white pearloid block inlays

• Dual Fideli’Tron humbucking pickups

• 3-way toggle switching

• 3-ply black pickguard,

• Four skirted “amp”-style control knobs (volume and tone for each pickup) and an

There's no other guitar like the Coronado. Order yours today.

SPECIFICATIONS

Coronado Semi-Hollowbody Electric Guitar

• Body

• Body Material: Laminated Maple with Alder Center-Block

• Body Finish: Gloss Polyester

• Body Shape: Other

• Neck

• Neck Material: Maple

• Neck Finish: Gloss Polyester

• Neck Shape: "C" Shape

• Scale Length: 25.5" (648mm)

• Fingerboard: Rosewood

• Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241mm)

• Number of Frets: 21

• Fret Size: Medium Jumbo

• String Nut: Synthetic Bone

• Nut Width: 1.650" (42mm)

• Position Inlays: Pearloid Block

• Neck Plate: 4-Bolt

• Electronics

• Bridge Pickup: Fideli'Tron™ Humbucking

• Neck Pickup: Fideli'Tron™ Humbucking

• Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup)

• Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup

• Pickup Configuration: HH

• Hardware

• Bridge: Pinned Adjusto-Matic with Floating "F" Trapeze Tailpiece

• Hardware Finish: Chrome

• Tuning Machines: Fender Standard Cast/Sealed

• Pickguard: 3-Ply Black

• Control Knobs: Skirted Amp Knobs

• Miscellaneous

• Strings: Fender® USA, NPS, (.009-.042 Gauges)

FenderCoronadoIICandyAppleRed_zps81d64686.jpg

FenderCoronadoIIHead_zps6e0e57fd.jpg

I bought a '67 Coronado at a junk shop in 1984 for $50. It had been refinished red with gold metal sparkles flung at it while the paint was still wet. I stripped it and refinished it blonde. It was the first guitar I ever leveled the frets on.

Killer guitar. Killer. The DeArmonds made me cry. Lost it in a horse trade. Owned it again a few times over the next 3 years. I refinished the body in Union Jack once. The neck ended up on a homemade maple Strat body with a Bill Lawrence mini humbucker in front, a '52 reissue Tele bridge and Tele Bigsby, and I sprayed it Cadillac brown metallic with matching headstock and lettered it "Stratocaster Deluxe". The Coronado body ended up getting painted hot rod flat black with a P90, an original PAF, and a '63 Jaguar neck. Yeah, shorter scale, but trust me, I made it work.

There's one old Coronado on ebay that has caught my eye but I'm also looking at an original K&F steel and a 60s Fender pedal steel. Can't afford all of them.

That's the beauty of a $600 guitar, or $50.00 junk shop refugee.

You can play with it, swapping pick-ups, refinishing, filing the frets, what ever your creative mind can imagine.

I would not be so hasty experiment with changes on a $4,000 guitar.

Enjoy it.

Isn't that what it is all about?

To me, that is a quite nice looking guitar. I wouldn't mind checking a few out...probably take one home with me. Different than your usual Strat/Tele solid body electric guitar. 2015 is looking good, wouldn't mind a sunburst one, or 3...red is red, is red, nice tail-piece emblem and head-stock script.msp_drool.gif

To me, that is a quite nice looking guitar. I wouldn't mind checking a few out...probably take one home with me. Different than your usual Strat/Tele solid body electric guitar. 2015 is looking good, wouldn't mind a sunburst one, or 3...red is red, is red, nice tail-piece emblem and head-stock script.msp_drool.gif

Its just fun as hell to play. I really like it, it has a unique feel which causes me to play stuff I haven't played in years. The cool factor on this one inspires. Daddy like [thumbup]

I think it's gorgeous and if you like it, I'm almost as happy for you as you are.

But I dunno... the radius and scale... That's turned me away from every guitar I've considered for the past year.

m

I think it's gorgeous and if you like it, I'm almost as happy for you as you are.

But I dunno... the radius and scale... That's turned me away from every guitar I've considered for the past year.

m

[biggrin] Step outside your comfort zone little brother [biggrin]

You can justify your purchases by just pointing at me & telling your family HEY - at least I'm not as crazy as that SOB :)

Rev...

"little bro?" Hey, I'm well past what might be considered an antique!

Seriously, I've had long and short and even shorter scale guitars. Frankly at this point to have enough room to store the doggone things, I'm giving away my 25 1/2 scale big box flattops. Just ain't so comfortable with 'em and seldom play 'em - except one I'll keep.

I don't own an electric with the longer scale, nor that short a radius. Never have - that I've kept, anyway.

m

Archived