Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody have an extra $92,000 for a guitar?

seanp33

I was just about to start a thread on this one.

This is the guitar you go out and buy when you wake up one morning with $100,000 burning a hole in your pocket, and the urge to own a guitar that appears to be made out of abalone.

Heck, you want bling? You can by a 1930's Century of Progress smothered in Mother of Toilet Seat for about $7k, and no shellfish were harmed in the process of building it.

Dang one per-centers!

Hand me my J-45....

I was just about to start a thread on this one.

This is the guitar you go out and buy when you wake up one morning with $100,000 burning a hole in your pocket, and the urge to own a guitar that appears to be made out of abalone.

Heck, you want bling? You can by a 1930's Century of Progress smothered in Mother of Toilet Seat for about $7k, and no shellfish were harmed in the process of building it.

Dang one per-centers!

Hand me my J-45....

This guitar is obviously meant as a symbol of art. Interesting photo of a mailbox in Aspen, Colorado below regarding one persons perspective on those who might be able to easily acquire a guitar suh as this

imagejpg1_zpsecb702c8.jpg

In the 1930s there was this one guy. His name totally escapes me at the moment but he was an old world Italian immigrant who did all of the inlay for a number of the guitar makers including the Regal-made Washburns. I have yet to see anybody who can touch his work. I am sure his name will come to me in a bit.

Ummm...no.....

I believe 100% it IS an exquisit, and good playing guitar, but I have a little bit of a hard time thinking that the labor and materiels add up to close to what they are charging.

So therefore, I believe they are charging "collecter" prices.

And having said that, for 92 cake, I could buy some ACTUAL collector stuff.

Maybe a pre-war D-28 played by someone famous?

Although Martins are fine guitars I personally wouldn't trade my '94 J-45 VB for it or any other Martin guitar, I don't 'collect' guitars to have them I have collected those I do have to play, even though I grew up around Martins and even own a Martin which my granddaughter now has to use 'forever' and did a lot of my learning on Martins.....the very first time I picked up my J-45 and played a few cords I knew I had found a place to put any 'extra' cash that I may be fortunate enough to acquire......I will also add that I am a cheap bastard and I only see a couple a hundred dollars worth of bling on this guitar over and above a any D model Martin in their line up. jmho

... but I have a little bit of a hard time thinking that the labor and materiels add up to close to what they are charging. ....I believe they are charging "collecter" prices.

It would be rare indeed that any manufacturer, of any product, is charging labor and materials. That's not how retail anything works...and I suspect you know that. It is a commemorative model guitar with extreme rarity. They will have a waiting list for them even with most of us saying - nay, nay.

It would be rare indeed that any manufacturer, of any product, is charging labor and materials. That's not how retail anything works...and I suspect you know that. It is a commemorative model guitar with extreme rarity. They will have a waiting list for them even with most of us saying - nay, nay.

Well, yea, obviously.. I surely don't mean there isn't profit, or shouldn't be profit.

So...how much do you suppose was actually spent? Or look at it backwards (I actually was), did one guy work on this thing for say, 6 months doing nothing else?

Of corse, the realistic question would be, what is it ACTUALLY going to sell for? I kinda doubt they expect 92k.

But honestly, I don't know anything about it. You could be right. Waiting list and all. My best guess is there is a waiting list to see it, but I bet it's around awhile waiting to find a buyer who will pay the most for it.

Archived