Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus

VinceS

I've had my Black Cherry LP 1960 Tribute Plus for about a month now and even thought the honeymoon is over, I still love it. It's my new "go to" guitar. Anyone else own one of these tone monsters and what do you think of it?

post-27471-097035500 1420753785_thumb.jpg

I've had my Black Cherry LP 1960 Tribute Plus for about a month now and even thought the honeymoon is over, I still love it. It's my new "go to" guitar. Anyone else own one of these tone monsters and what do you think of it.

Love mine, but I don't know any other, it's my first guitar. I wouldn't mind another in HCB, mine's in VS.

• 1 month later...

I've had my Black Cherry LP 1960 Tribute Plus for about a month now and even thought the honeymoon is over, I still love it. It's my new "go to" guitar. Anyone else own one of these tone monsters and what do you think of it?

Tone monster - well said! [thumbup]

1960 Tribute Plus is a great playing and sounding guitar. Best L.P. non-Gibson I ever owned.

Same here. Closest as can be to the level of my Gibson LPs. Here she is:

Epi_Tribute_zps20497450.jpg

A couple of years ago,I played the absolute best Les Paul that I ever picked up.It was leagues better than even the finest Gibson Les Pauls and even the finest MIJ Les Paul copies that I had ever played.This guitar was an Epi 1960 Les Paul Tribute.The guitar was the most beautiful Les Paul that I ever laid eyes on,the bookmatched flame maple top had the most incredible grain pattern I had ever seen and it was so symmetrical that one side was virtually the mirror image of the other.When I held the guitar in my hands,it felt so perfect that I'm sure if the people from the Gibson Custom Shop had measured my hands to craft me a one off custom neck,it wouldn't have been any better.The sound of the guitar was just as spectacular,it sounded like the best PAF Les Paul you could ever hope to play.I really wanted to buy that beauty because I knew that barring finding a mint original PAF Les Paul,I would never find anything like it.Unfortunately I had,in the previous year orso,bought about 4 guitars,3 amps and a myriad of effects with a couple of expensive boutique ones on top of that,so there was no way that I could swing it to pay the $1,100 for it.My only hope now is that some day the lucky stiff who bought it,takes leave of his senses and brings it back to trade on another guitar-I'd know it if I ever saw it again,it was that unique and striking.

Enjoy your new "tone monster" Vince,if it's even 1/10 as sweet as the product of luthier wizardry that I came across 2 years ago,you have yourself a guitar that you'll never find an equal to.Cheers.

Friday, I should be receiving my Epiphone electric Les Paul tribute plus vintage from Sweetwater. This is my first electric. I have a Sierra sunrise acoustic/electric and a 1970's acoustic Fender. I'm taking a Gibson L&MG course with Steve Krenz. I'm on session 3 and enjoying this course. I love music and learning to play it too is so satisfying.

WANT

rct

You can have mine rct at a very exhorbitant price given the recipient! [laugh]

For myself, I have had a turn into ultra fussiness. Leaving aside my SG400 Epiphone (which I just can't stop myself picking up) I am getting rid of ALL my Epiphones because they are just not quite "up to it" IMO.

these epis are wonderful. Also have the new epi Pelham blue bonamassa. Next one will either be the slash rosso corsa ( if I can find one) or the another 1960 in sapphire blue, primarily, to install the duncan whole lotta humbucker. wonderful instruments. Also have a black/gold epi custom that is the ultimate in playability, but I installed the Wylde emg set in it and probably would like something else in there

• 1 month later...

I've had mine for just about two years now and I'm still blown away by her. The quality of construction (mine is flawless!, the fit and feel of her, and, most importantly, the sound...she's incredible. This is, hands down, one of the best guitar investments I've ever made.

Though I've yet to read any mentions of it yet here at the board (though admittedly, I'm not here as much as I used to be), I'm rather excited about the Tommy Thayer "White Lightening" Les Paul that's forth coming. Reading the specs on it, it seems to have many of the same build qualities that the Tribute Plus has (deep set neck, etc.).

It is a good guitar no doubt about it. Mine has gone now to a good home where I hope it is getting played more than I ever played it.

I've got two Epi's left now. The SG and the Les Paul '56. I think I'll keep both of them.

After reading this post I did a little reading and online window shopping of my own. That appears to be one heck of a guitar.

The examples I've found are stunning visually, and appear to be top notch in terms of build quality. If I was looking for a new solid humbucker, I suspect I would be all over this one. Nice score!

And since rct insists once again on bragging about his '56 Les Paul PRO, well heck, I still have mine too, and like his it is an exquisite guitar.

• 2 months later...

Well, here's my six month review as the "honeymoon" is now well over. This is still my favorite guitar out of my small collection. I liked it so much better than my Gibson LP Studio Deluxe that I sold the Gibby on EBay. I just never played the Gibson except to A/B it against my Epi. The Epi always won based on both playability and tone, not to mention looks and "feel". If I were blindfolded and asked to tell the expensive from the inexpensive guitar I would have guessed wrong every time as I expect a lot of "guitar snobs" would too. GO EPIPHONE!

post-27471-026679600 1437333479_thumb.jpg

Archived