Gibson Brands Forums

New member and new to Epiphone

littlelady

As topic title states I am a New member so Hi ya'all and thank ya glad to be in the group.. I am also new to Epiphones, That is, I'm looking to purchase my first, and was hoping you all could give me a little help and guidance along my way. Now I have been admiring this beauty for a while but I do not no much about them and was wondering if anyone could help me with some info about it. I would like to know

a little of the history, SPECS and what is a good price range on this? I'm ready to take the leap.. Just don't want to do it blind.

Here is what I do know (other then I love it)

serial number is - S94020755

Truss rod cover has Gibson

(will try and get pics to load)

Thank you to everyone advance..

post-69838-094645800 1420742331_thumb.jpg

post-69838-088557200 1420742537_thumb.jpg

Great electric guitar. Not much more to say.msp_thumbup.gif Let us know what you think after you acquire the thing. I do believe you may like it. eusa_think.gifcool.gif but being 20 years old, look it over closely, if possible.

If you are still reading this, I'd check it out for worn frets, grooves in frets from play wear, neck straightness, string height (saddle height and proper intonation). Play all positions up and down the neck, check for excessive fret "buzz/slap" of the strings, as well as "dead spots" possibly at grooved, as well as other positions where the strings might not "ring out" properly, no sustain. Check the neck to body connection at the neck heel for cracks or signs of other over stress induced anomalies. Check the tuners hold tune and aren't worn out and that all controls and switches work, aren't loose or static. . It may need a set up, new strings, truss rod and intonation adjustment, pickup height adjustment...Hopefully not.msp_smile.gif The pic looks like a nice example. Good luck. Post a follow up if you do obtain it msp_thumbup.gif

If you are still reading this, I'd check it out for worn frets, grooves in frets from play wear, neck straightness, string height (saddle height and proper intonation). Play all positions up and down the neck, check for excessive fret "buzz/slap" of the strings, as well as "dead spots" possibly at grooved, as well as other positions where the strings might not "ring out" properly, no sustain. The pic looks like a nice example. Good luck. Post a follow up if you do obtain it msp_thumbup.gif

Thank you for all the tips. I will be sure to check it out well.. I will be happy to follow up..

Going to do some reading about it, then look around on what a good price is and which would be better "94 or a new one.

Again thanks I already know more now then when I logged on today.. smile.gif

They are asking $500

I had no clue what a good price range would be.

Does it being a 94 make a difference from a newer one?

personally, I would spend the extra 99 bucks and get a brand new one with a warranty. unless you have a bond with it then I would try to get it for less but they seem to go for 400-500 used.

It's nice lookin' at that.

With a case for $500? I'd say depends on the points the folks made above. With case?

Also, the OP didn't say how long she's been playing - a potentially significant point on how it's set up.

It's a nice guitar if it's in good condition as noted above. Regardless, a less experienced picker may want to have a setup professionally done with his/her string preference on it.

On the other hand, I tend to be more like LPS1976 in preferring at the same general price range to get a new similar type guitar - like the Epi Dot or upgrades you can find online at Sweetwater or Musiciansfriend, and then definitely with a case. That's for the warranty mostly.

Yet... I haven't anything against "used." Heck, at my age I'd best not go there. <grin> You can't get a used saddle for a triceratops like I had when I rode one to grade school.

m

Nice guitar - if you buy it I hope you get a lot of pleasure from it [thumbup]

Personally i'd go for a new one. No 90's Korean guitar will have any 'vintage' value now or at any time in our lifetime so its age provides no benefit I can see (regardless of any sales blurb) whereas a new one would be yours from day one to care for and look after (plus warranty etc).

either way, have a blast!

Wow thank you all so much for all the info. What a nice community. You all have given me a lot of info and some great tips and I'm very thankful.I'm about to head over to my favorite store to check out a new one, wanna hear and see how she feels in my hands.Then I have a date with the 94.. Guess we will see which one I come home with :)Wish me luck

Lillady...

Best of luck, and we'll have you in mind and wish you luck.

BTW, whether a 1990s version or a current "new in the box," I'm convinced that the Epiphones are the best bang for the buck in their price ranges regardless of type of instrument. You're doing well to keep that in mine too.

m

Update

After going and putting my hand on a few beautiful Epiphone Sheraton, and some deal making.msp_wink.gif

I am happy to say my new love is the 1994 Gibson Epiphone Sheraton, after looking her over, she was perfect. Looks like she is brand new, and Once I put her in my hands, she fit like a glove and stole my heart at first note.. I talk them down to $400 and made her mine.. :) eusa_dance.gif

Wanted to share with everyone. Again thank you all very much for your help..

I off to play with my new lady. Hope you all have a very blessed day

Pics are a little dark and do not do her justice. Take on phone

post-69838-090001000 1420815555_thumb.jpg

post-69838-076365400 1420815562_thumb.jpg

post-69838-055963300 1420815571_thumb.jpg

Update

After going and putting my hand on a few beautiful Epiphone Sheraton, and some deal making.msp_wink.gif

I am happy to say my new love is the 1994 Gibson Epiphone Sheraton, after looking her over, she was perfect. Looks like she is brand new, and Once I put her in my hands, she fit like a glove and stole my heart at first note.. I talk them down to $400 and made her mine.. :) eusa_dance.gif

Wanted to share with everyone. Again thank you all very much for your help..

I off to play with my new lady. Hope you all have a very blessed day

Pics are a little dark and do not do her justice. Take on phone

Excellent! Well done, Ma'am!

Play well

Pete

Congrats...

With the case, and the condition you describe, you've a winner, I'm sure.

Just one point. Sometimes the environment here seems pretty much all male, but regardless of the occasional "sexist" comment, most everybody here wants to encourage everyone else to play well and increase their skills and - too - their guitar collection. <grin>

So don't run off...

m

Archived