Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup covers?

scottpaine_69

Just want to get some opions on this. My new gibson has the zebra coil pups but I've always liked the chrome covers more than the open coil look. I was thinking about putting a set of chrome covers on my 2015 Les Paul classic. I never had to buy covers before so If I do, how do I figure out what size I need? Or should I just leave them as they are?

If you like covers by all means put some on it. I tend to agree with you and like them a little better than the open ones. Also think they help to keep dust and other crud out of the windings and pole pieces. I would order from Gibson website (although I didn't check to see that they sell them) for a good fit. Many other suppliers as well for guitar parts - shouldn't be hard to find some that fit.

To be safe you can measure the distance between the center of the two outside pole pieces. Make sure the covers you order and the pickups match in measurement. Gibson bridge spacing should be 52 mm and neck is 50 mm. Other pickup manufacturers are different and it only takes a fraction of deviation and they won't fit. I've been through it. [crying]

Pup...thanks for setting me straight...I thought they were all the same....DOH!!! Sorry Scott!!

Some of the actually are, Bill. But I think most LPs vary slightly with the narrower neck to accommodate the taper of the strings as they head to the nut. That's why I learned it's best to measure.

If I decide to do it I will definatly measure because of the new wider fretboard and neck, on the 2015's. I don't know if that makes a differance or not. The more I think about it the more I Don't want to soulder new covers onto my pups.

With some exceptions, Gibson humbucker pole spacing is either 49.2mm for rhythm pickups and 52mm for treble pickups. I think the PAF clones (57 classic and whanot) are all 49.2mm. The difference is usually enough to see, but measuring only takes a few seconds, and is a good idea to be safe.

Guest Farnsbarns

If I decide to do it I will definatly measure because of the new wider fretboard and neck, on the 2015's. I don't know if that makes a differance or not. The more I think about it the more I Don't want to soulder new covers onto my pups.

You could use silicon or hot glue to stick them on but leave them "wthout-a-trace" removable.

You could use silicon or hot glue to stick them on but leave them "wthout-a-trace" removable.

For a new Gibson pup?

I could see that for something collectable or vintage, but I don't think leaving evidence on these is going to effect anything.

Just so long you don't mess them up or ruin them such that they don't work.

Archived