Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for A Gibson SJ-200, Any Recommendations? Standard or Limited?

Stacanova

Hello All,

I finally pulled the trigger on a guitar and should have it by the end of the week.

I traded in my Gretsch toward it at guitar center and they are sending it from another guitar center, so at least I have some piece of mind if there are any issues.

It is a used 2014 Gibson j200 Montana Gold with a quilted maple back.

I should have it by the end of the week, so fingers crossed!

Hope it works out well.

Make sure and let us know

Hello All,

I finally pulled the trigger on a guitar and should have it by the end of the week.

I traded in my Gretsch toward it at guitar center and they are sending it from another guitar center, so at least I have some piece of mind if there are any issues.

It is a used 2014 Gibson j200 Montana Gold with a quilted maple back.

I should have it by the end of the week, so fingers crossed!

Wowsers - sounds like a perfect choice for you. Bling and Maple! I got my Hummingbird TV when it was virtually new from a GC a thousand miles away and it worked out great.

Now comes the really hard part. The Dreaded Wait ! Even worse than forking out the greenbacks!

Wowsers - sounds like a perfect choice for you. Bling and Maple! I got my Hummingbird TV when it was virtually new from a GC a thousand miles away and it worked out great.

Now comes the really hard part. The Dreaded Wait ! Even worse than forking out the greenbacks!

Thanks!

I finally received my guitar shipped from one Guitar Center to the other.

Just when I think that there is nothing Guitar Center can do to surprise me.... They go and top themselves!

After receiving my "your item has arrived label, I go into to my local GC to pick up my guitar.

The clerk goes to the back and comes back with a box and asks me, "is it supposed to have a case", I say "YES!!!", he says the box doesn't feel heavy enough.

So they open up the box and in it is my Gibson, with some bubble wrap, no case!

He calls up to the other store and they confirm, yes it has a case, but someone forgot to ship it!?!?!

WTF!

They took a really expensive and somewhat fragile acoustic guitar and taped some bubble wrap around it and stuck it in a box and shipped it UPS.

The guitar had a case, but maybe they thought it would just be better to send it separately?

Luckily, the guitar appears to be undamaged and the case arrived a few days later.

A friend of mine suggested that I was lucky that they didn't just stick a mailing label on the headstock and ship it.

Here are some pics I took!

IMG_7928_zpskqq5kef8.jpg

IMG_7981_zpsjkhdkepi.jpg

IMG_7979_zpscbowuzxj.jpg

IMG_7976_zpskechfapy.jpg

IMG_7973_zpsbwx4dr5l.jpg

IMG_7969_zpsn9npx0ux.jpg

IMG_7963_zpseomzilqt.jpg

IMG_7960_zps9fvgmipm.jpg

IMG_7955_zpsxkgdr74k.jpg

IMG_7944_zps6bknstob.jpg

I`ve owned two J-200s. One was a 94 Honduran rosewood "Special" the other was a 2010 "Standard" with the aura-eclipse system. Of the two I much preferred the tone, look and feel of the 94. Having said that, neither of them in my opinion, came close to my 94 J-100 Xtra (Mahogany), I love that guitar!

Steve.

Congrats on the big '200! Beautiful wood selection on the back and sides. That quilty view of the side from the driver's seat might be a bit of a distraction...

I'm sure you'd like to find out what the person who packed the guitar caseless was thinking; feel free to update if you find out.

Enjoy.

Congrats on the big '200! Beautiful wood selection on the back and sides. That quilty view of the side from the driver's seat might be a bit of a distraction...

I'm sure you'd like to find out what the person who packed the guitar caseless was thinking; feel free to update if you find out.

Enjoy.

Its not even my guitar and I'd like to know why there's no case for shipping .

Its not even my guitar and I'd like to know why there's no case for shipping .

Thanks!

You know it still boggles my mind, it is Guitar Center, but.... the person who would have packed it to ship it is still someone who is paid to know about, sell and often care for musical instruments. How they could be so disrespectful to any instrument, let alone an instrument of this quality and beauty is beyond me!

I guess I'm just lucky it arrived ok, I'm still going to contact that manager for that GC again though.

I normally don't care much for quilted maple but that is one great looking guitar...all the way around! After all the nightmare postings in all the forums about damaged guitars shipped in their cases your bubble wrap story takes the cake. If I were you I'd go buy a lottery ticket as you seem to be on a lucky streak. Congrats on a great looking Gibson.

Same thoughts here as to what Dan had said about nitro' and bubble wrap. It might not have turned out well if the same scenario played out in warmer weather. Yes, MtnPkr, Staca should go buy a lottery ticket.

If someone tells me they are going to use bubble wrap to stabilize things inside the case, I'll usually ask (plead) that they put some paper towels or something similar between the guitar & the 'wrap. It would now be worth your while to get any nasty plastic residue off of your guitar with some Virtuoso polish. It's designed for finishes such as nitrocellulose lacquer. Worth the expense. You won't regret it.

...the only one I can try is a standard j-200 that is a hundred miles away from where I live...

I've got the same problem. I'd like to play a Martin HD 28. The closest one I can find is 100 kms (60 miles)away. There is a HD 28v in town, but I don't like the V neck.

Not a problem though. I won't have the $$$ to buy another guitar until May.

Bubble wrap and Nitro finishes do not go well together. Make sure and check it closely, of course with all that quilting probably impossible to see anyway. That is one stunning guitar! Congrats !

Thanks.

You know there is a spot or two that feels, sort of unfinished, slightly rough along the edge, like the finish has come off?

Is that what would happen with a nitro/Bubble wrap reaction?

It is not really visible, but I can definitely feel the spots with my fingers.

Same thoughts here as to what Dan had said about nitro' and bubble wrap. It might not have turned out well if the same scenario played out in warmer weather. Yes, MtnPkr, Staca should go buy a lottery ticket.

If someone tells me they are going to use bubble wrap to stabilize things inside the case, I'll usually ask (plead) that they put some paper towels or something similar between the guitar & the 'wrap. It would now be worth your while to get any nasty plastic residue off of your guitar with some Virtuoso polish. It's designed for finishes such as nitrocellulose lacquer. Worth the expense. You won't regret it.

I have one of those Gibson Vintage Guitar cleaning kits that I use on my 356 and 355 with Nitro.

Is that the same stuff you are talking about?

Like I replied to Dan, the guitar does have a couple of spots that feel different, almost unfinished, it is not really visible, but I can feel it with my fingers.

Does that sound like a bubble wrap Nitro thing?

Take some bubble wrap. Get it a bit sudsy. Partially dry it. Now blot that against a piece of glass, and allow to dry. That would approximate what you might see, except it may've interacted with the finish, if that finish was nitro, in warmer weather, especially if left for more than a reasonable shipping time, or if the finish was relatively new.

Don't know about the Gibson branded polish; once you get the Virtuoso Kit, which comes with a slightly more aggressive cleaner, as well as the polish, you'll be all set in that department.

1423675472[/url]' post='1627603']

I have one of those Gibson Vintage Guitar cleaning kits that I use on my 356 and 355 with Nitro.

Is that the same stuff you are talking about?

Like I replied to Dan, the guitar does have a couple of spots that feel different, almost unfinished, it is not really visible, but I can feel it with my fingers.

Does that sound like a bubble wrap Nitro thing?

Deal breaker! Send it back request a perfect one.

I had a Gibson J200 natural but had the opportunity and tried a J 200 Mystic rosewood and I just fell in love with the guitar . It just had every characteristic I've ever wanted to hear in a acoustic guitar plus the cosmedics don't hurt either . When folks talk about a woody tone this guitar has all that and more .

SJ20MRGH1-Finish-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

Archived