Gibson Brands Forums

Jan. 10. 1964

jaxson50

Everything changed. 1964 was the year us boomers became "adults". We had lost our President and were wondering what our future was going to be and The Beatles showed us what the future was. Their appearance on the Sullivan show signaled a shift in the market in the music business, suddenly the largest part of the market was young. An historic moment for sure.

Everything changed. 1964 was the year us boomers became "adults". We had lost our President and were wondering what our future was going to be and The Beatles showed us what the future was. Their appearance on the Sullivan show signaled a shift in the market in the music business, suddenly the largest part of the market was young. An historic moment for sure.

I remember that night like it was last night, it was awesome.

... and many bands and artists in the U.S. exclaimed, "Awe, crap!".

[laugh]

But, CB... I believe it was released on 1/20. :-k

Uh, I didn't start this thread. I was only commenting on their relevance, and influence.

But, "Introducing The Beatles" (VJ records) was released 1/10/1964, and "Meet The Beatles"

(Capitol Records) was released 1/20/1964! So, technically, the VJ album came out (here) first!

I bought "Meet The Beatles" first, because I didn't even know about the VJ "Introducing

The Beatles" until about a week later, when I found it, in a "bargain bin" at my local

grocery store's record section. Snatched it right up, as well. [biggrin]

Where I grew up, "Beetles" were just a bug, to be destroyed. Hence, no one "got it," until

the "Meet The Beatles" album came out, and their Ed Sullivan Show appearance.

CB

Uh, I didn't start this thread. I was only commenting on their relevance, and influence.

But, "Introducing The Beatles" (VJ records) was released 1/10/1964, and "Meet The Beatles"

(Capitol Records) was released 1/20/1964! So, technically, the VJ album came out first!

I bought "Meet The Beatles" first, because I didn't even know about the VJ "Introducing

The Beatles" until about a week later, when I found it, in a "bargain bin" at my local

grocery store's record section. Snatched it right up, as well. [biggrin]

CB

OH!!! My apologies! [blush]

Yes, and I came back to point out that VeeJay Records' "Introducing The Beatles" was released on 1/10/64, as you did.

Funny... I jumped the gun on all accounts. The O.P. never mentioned an album, specifically, by name.

But when I think of "The Beatles first U.S. album", my mind goes straight to "Meet The Beatles". VeeJay's release, although the first, was not as current with regard to their latest recordings. The album that kicks off with "I Want To Hold Your Hand" is the true first U.S. release. [wink]

Their first actual appearance (via a news clip), in America was on The Jack Parr Show, on Friday night, January 3rd, 1964!

I know this, because my Mom got me out of bed, to see the clip. She knew I had become quite interested in "Rock & Roll"

and playing guitar, and she "liked the look of them (especially John), and their sound!" (What little we could hear, that is)!

I had gone to bed, a bit early, because we were going to the Orthodontist, in Wichita (100 miles away) that next morning.

After the appointment, She took me to Innes Department Store, and got "Meet The Beatles!" She came into the glass "listening booth"

with me...as she wanted to really hear, what all the "fuss" was about. She was nearly as big a fan, after that, as I was!

A "cooler" Mom, I could not have had, that's for sure!! LOL

CB

If you didn't see it, CNN's mini series "The Sixties" had a segment dedicated to "The British Invasion". I'm sure at some point this thing will be (if not already) out on DVD, but well worth the watch (actually, all segments were watch worthy). I just remember the promo and Hal Holbrook saying "The entire culture changed!". Born in '46, I could not agree more. What a decade, and yes, as has been stated, the Beatles, changed more than just rock and roll.

Their first actual appearance (via a news clip), in America was on The Jack Parr Show, on Friday night, January 3rd, 1964!

I know this, because my Mom got me out of bed, to see the clip. She knew I had become quite interested in "Rock & Roll"

and playing guitar, and she "liked the look of them (especially John), and their sound!" (What little we could hear, that is)!

I had gone to bed, a bit early, because we were going to the Orthodontist, in Wichita (100 miles away) that next morning.

After the appointment, She took me to Innes Department Store, and got "Meet The Beatles!" She came into the glass "listening booth"

with me...as she wanted to really hear, what all the "fuss" was about. She was nearly as big a fan, after that, as I was!

A "cooler" Mom, I could not have had, that's for sure!! LOL

CB

I saw that Jack Paar show, I watched it regularly back then. I had heard about them and was curious. And like you I was lucky to have "cool" parents, ones not automatically against anything new.

I saw that Jack Paar show, I watched it regularly back then. I had heard about them and was curious. And like you I was lucky to have "cool" parents, ones not automatically against anything new.

Was a good time to be alive

By 1963, Rock had lost its mojo, the guitar band had started to fade way with the death of Buddy Holly, and with Chuck Berry in legal problems, Carl Perkins had been in a terrible car wreck and was facing years of rehabilitation, Soul music was just starting to appear, in the US rock had lost its rawness and it's edge, Pat Boone was considered Rock. Capital Records had turned down The Beatles because the people who decided who would be recorded and played on the radio had decided that guitar bands were a thing of the past. Recycled barbershop quartets singing harmonies doo whoop was being promoted.But in there was a gleam of hope, Roy Orbison and a few other rockers had found a audience in Britian, the wave had crossed the Atlantic and had found a new interpretation that breathed new life into it. A few British acts had tried to break into the US market but after single hits had not been able to follow up and sustain momentum. On Feb. 9, 1964 that was changed forever.Those of us who witnesses it will never forget the event. As one poster stated, the bar had been raised.The best Comparison would be to remember the impact a young Tiger Woods had on golf when he electrified the world and for a few years dominated the game, every professional had to either raise their game or get out. The game is better because of him. The Beatles success and ability to follow up with ever changing approaches to their art inspired and challenged the music world and opened up the US market for other British acts, in fact it would be no exaggeration to say they took Rock from a US music form to a global music form.

Yeah, The Beatles were THE "Perfect Pop/Rock Musical Storm!" I seriously doubt we'll ever

see another one like them, musically, or in terms of world-wide influence. And, overall,

a very positive influence it was, and still is! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

agree There has been no one close...wish I could re live it all again..it was a fun time for me as I was just a small boy no worries...

Archived