Gibson Brands Forums

First Les Paul

Bodaggit

Been playing Epi Les Pauls for years and years. Finally my budget and playing skills met in the middle. Made the jump. :)

My observations from an Epi to Gibson standpoint:

( comparison guitars are 1992 Epiphone LP with upgraded pickups -> my new 2008 Gibson Les Paul Classic )

Looks: VERY close. It washes because the Epi has a flame top, Gibson does not. BUT...Gibson says Gibson on headstock :)

Neck: Epi neck is a bit thinner at the nut, which I like. Gibson feels thicker (which is a negative for me), but it feels more ...solid? Fret work is a lot better, but there is just something about the neck that feels higher quality. I cannot put my finger on it. My wife says it's because of some mental "it's better because I want it to be better", but that's not it. Maybe I'll figure it out.

Body: The Gibson is TWO POUNDS *lighter* than the EPI. I did not expect this at all. The Gibson is lacking a "meaty" kind of feel to it. Weighing in at 7.4 pounds, it's almost unnerving how light this is compared to what I expected (never even played a Gibson before this one). I hope that makes any sense to anyone.

Sound: Sounds great. Man...this Gibson just wants to play itself. I AM in a little bit of EQ hell. I have a Blackstar HT-40v that I'm playing through, and the Gibson for sure sounds more authentic. I hadn't realized how much I had to do to get a better sound out of the Epi, so I've set all the dials at 12 o'clock and am starting over. If anyone has any suggestions for good blues hard rock tones, I'd be appreciative.

Now the pics:

http://imgur.com/a/dpK33#1

Final Verdict: I love the Gibson. Clearly a better guitar. Looking forward to growing as a player with it. However, NOT the hands down winner that I thought it would be over the Epi though. That Epi will stay in my arsenal for some time.

Hello and welcome :)

Some interesting thoughts there so thanks for sharing...... I have a LP Classic too (a 2002) and it is certainly one of the slimmer necks that Gibson make... You should try a 50s baseball bat neck (or a new 2015 :unsure: ) now they are fat :)

Also interestingly the Classic comes with some of the hottest (loudest) pickups that Gibson make.. they are also ceramic rather than the often preferred Alnico so some people find them a bit too hot. But if like me you like the 80s rock sound they are perfect pickups for that [thumbup]

As for weight.. Now this is an interesting and often controversial subject.. Most people think (as I did) that good Gibsons are solid and heavy.. This is not necessarily true.. The trees that were used say on the original 59s (the most famous of all LPs) were made from trees that had less dense wood than what we get these days as a result of chemical growth agents that they use and thus were quite light compared to todays standards.. This is why weight relief was invented in the first place, since LPs were getting into the 15 pound range in the 70s and 80s which is monstrous...

So don't take that to mean one thing or another.. its not better or worse it is what it is :) (and most people like a mid weight if they are say on stage for several hours)... My Classic comes close to 11 lbs, and I can tell you I wouldn't want it any heaver and in fact I actually went on a search for a lighter guitar after 8 years or so of just having the Classic as I was getting fed up with the weight.

The other thing to add is that Epi make great guitars... Just cos they are cheaper doesn't make them crap.. but as you say, its the small details on a Gibson that just make all the difference and worth paying the price for.. They are SOLID work machines that if looked after in a reasonable way will last you a life time.. theres not many products you can say that about :)

Enjoy man [thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

I think that model of Les paul goes beyond weight relief. I think it's completely hollow, certainly standards were in 2008. Much brighter sounding which adds up based on your findings, though I might be completely wrong. C. 7lbs sounds like a chambered LP to me as well so, maybe.

Just a thought about the neck, nitro vs poly? Nickel silver vs stainless steel? Plek'd? All the above?"

I hope you enjoy your new LP for years to come! [thumbup]

I think that model of Les paul goes beyond weight relief. I think it's completely hollow, certainly standards were in 2008. Much brighter sounding which adds up based on your findings, though I might be completely wrong. C. 7lbs sounds like a chambered LP to me as well so, maybe.

Hmm, yeah I hadn't thought about that... And yes I reckon you are right, its probably chambered.. (just did some checking)

Theres another thread on this here http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/33429-info-on-a-2008-made-les-paul-classic-1960/

Archived