Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Les Paul Stamdard or 2015 PRS Custom 22

Macmutt

Hey Guy's, I realize i'm in a Gibson forum, but I was hoping some die hard lovers of the guitar in general could give me some honest opinions.

I'm finally able to afford to get my dream guitar and i'm kind of stuck and just can't decide between the 2015 LP standard or the 2015 PRS Custom 22.

I know I want the mahogany maple combo and slim profile neck, which both have, and i'm well aware of all the new bells and whistles the 2015 Les Paul has with the adjustable brass nut, and removable pick guard, the wider neck, the adjustable bridge while tuned....as for coil taps both PRS and the LP have it, and the Geforce tuning on the LP .is nice but not a decision maker for me.

I really prefer the double cut guitars, SG's, Strat's, PRS and so on but I need that mahogany & maple combo and I don't like the cherry finish on the new LP double cut, so i'm torn between the PRS custom 22 and the Les Paul standard.

I play blues rock mostly, Clapton, Allman Brothers, Gary Moore, Skynyrd, Buddy Guy, sometimes Guns n Roses, but I love and prefer the fat warm sound that comes from the combo of mahogany, maple and humbuckers.

Plus I should say I really dislike weight relieved guitars and most of Gibsons Les Pauls are weight relieved, except the Traditional model, but this years Traditional does not come with a slim Taper neck, so that's out.

Sorry for the long read but I would appreciate some unbiased, honest opinions and why you feel like you do about your guitar of choice.....thank you for any help you can offer.

Here's my $0.02...

Gibson is a good brand. They make good guitars. Sometimes Great guitars, but those normally come at a premium (Read: Custom Shop).

PRS is a great brand. They make great guitars. Normally Fantastic guitars, but most of their Core guitars are in the upper-range of the Gibson offerings in terms of price.

I've never played a PRS that felt bad, or sounded bad. The attention to detail is second-to-none. The finishes are flawless. They come perfectly set up. They stay in tune. And although I change pickups in every guitar I buy, the pickups and electronics that come in them are fantastic. They also come with really nice cases, and customer service can hardly be matched for a "big" guitar company.

Now Gibson...I've played Gibsons that were hardly playable, even after a good setup. I've played ones that just sounded dead, unplugged or plugged in. Finish inconsistencies, buildup around the neck joint and bleed into the binding..it's something I've come to accept on most Gibsons. Tuning is hit-or-miss (no wonder they started puttong Min-Etune/G-Force on them..). Pickups are normally pretty good at best, passable at worst. Not a fan of PCB's in guitars, so that's a negative. Cases this year are some weird molded plastic thing. Customer service can be hit and miss, but is normally decent.

In summary, if I was interested in a Core Line PRS of any model, I wouldn't have a second thought about buying one sight-unseen; they're so consistent, they're the only electric guitar brand other than something like Musicman that I know would play and sound fantastic.

Gibson, I would have to play it and find one that works.

If you've got the money, go for the PRS CU22. You won't be disappointed. I've played many at my local guitar shop (biggest PRS dealer in Canada) and I've never been disappointed.

-Ryan

Here's my $0.02...

Gibson is a good brand. They make good guitars. Sometimes Great guitars, but those normally come at a premium (Read: Custom Shop).

PRS is a great brand. They make great guitars. Normally Fantastic guitars, but most of their Core guitars are in the upper-range of the Gibson offerings in terms of price.

I've never played a PRS that felt bad, or sounded bad. The attention to detail is second-to-none. The finishes are flawless. They come perfectly set up. They stay in tune. And although I change pickups in every guitar I buy, the pickups and electronics that come in them are fantastic. They also come with really nice cases, and customer service can hardly be matched for a "big" guitar company.

Now Gibson...I've played Gibsons that were hardly playable, even after a good setup. I've played ones that just sounded dead, unplugged or plugged in. Finish inconsistencies, buildup around the neck joint and bleed into the binding..it's something I've come to accept on most Gibsons. Tuning is hit-or-miss (no wonder they started puttong Min-Etune/G-Force on them..). Pickups are normally pretty good at best, passable at worst. Not a fan of PCB's in guitars, so that's a negative. Cases this year are some weird molded plastic thing. Customer service can be hit and miss, but is normally decent.

In summary, if I was interested in a Core Line PRS of any model, I wouldn't have a second thought about buying one sight-unseen; they're so consistent, they're the only electric guitar brand other than something like Musicman that I know would play and sound fantastic.

Gibson, I would have to play it and find one that works.

If you've got the money, go for the PRS CU22. You won't be disappointed. I've played many at my local guitar shop (biggest PRS dealer in Canada) and I've never been disappointed.

-Ryan

Wow, all very good points Ryan, and I know about those Gibson inconsistencies you speak of, I for one hate to spend thousands of dollars on a " NEW " guitar and then find cosmetic or structural flaws.

You've definitely given me some food for thought, thank you for your input, I just wish that the Gibson that made my brothers 1984 SG was the Gibson of today, because it is beautiful and flawless...and unless I am physically able to pull a Gibson Les Paul from guitar center's warehouse and look at it and play it I can't trust that ordering one online will be in flawless condition.

However Guitar center doesn't allow that, they prefer you buy the one off the wall, and I never buy guitars off the wall because, those to me are not new, they've been picked up and played by countless customers...and that's not new, so I have serious thinking to do...Thanks again Ryan.

By the sounds of what you've tried and what your likes/dislikes are, IMHO sounds like your best bet would be a Gibby SG mate. Works for Duane, Angus and Eric. LOL!

Nope with this years model I don't like the 57 pickup's or the jack on the face of the guitar, and I need my maple cap on top.

Hey Guy's, I realize i'm in a Gibson forum, but I was hoping some die hard lovers of the guitar in general could give me some honest opinions.

I'm finally able to afford to get my dream guitar and i'm kind of stuck and just can't decide between the 2015 LP standard or the 2015 PRS Custom 22.

I know I want the mahogany maple combo and slim profile neck, which both have, and i'm well aware of all the new bells and whistles the 2015 Les Paul has with the adjustable brass nut, and removable pick guard, the wider neck, the adjustable bridge while tuned....as for coil taps both PRS and the LP have it, and the Geforce tuning on the LP .is nice but not a decision maker for me.

I really prefer the double cut guitars, SG's, Strat's, PRS and so on but I need that mahogany & maple combo and I don't like the cherry finish on the new LP double cut, so i'm torn between the PRS custom 22 and the Les Paul standard.

I play blues rock mostly, Clapton, Allman Brothers, Gary Moore, Skynyrd, Buddy Guy, sometimes Guns n Roses, but I love and prefer the fat warm sound that comes from the combo of mahogany, maple and humbuckers.

Plus I should say I really dislike weight relieved guitars and most of Gibsons Les Pauls are weight relieved, except the Traditional model, but this years Traditional does not come with a slim Taper neck, so that's out.

Sorry for the long read but I would appreciate some unbiased, honest opinions and why you feel like you do about your guitar of choice.....thank you for any help you can offer.

Well I have to say a 2015 Gibson Les paul Classic. I've had mine for 2 months now and it sounds, feels, plays and looks perfect! I have 3 les pauls total. The new 2015 is my favorite by far over the others. The new nut, fretboard and frets are awsome. The g-force works perfect as well. Now to the weight, Mine ways 10lbs 14 oz. which is heavier than the 2015 traditionals I was also looking at. I picked the Classic because it was heavier even with the traditional weight releive which is a lot better than the Modern weight releive. The coil split sounds great and the 15db boast switch really makes the clean channel sound great and there are so many tone variations you can get with that and the coil split option. As for playing style, I'm a metal guy, I have actives in my other guitars but I will never do that to my 2015 classic. Plus I'm currently playing in a Blues, country, southern rock band and the second I plud the 2015 in everybody said you better keep that guitar because the sound was just there for everything the songs needed. I haven't played my Zakk wylde bullseye les paul since I got My new Classic. The cool part is after I play with the country band I can use the G-Force tunner and tune down to A# for my buddys metal band without any problems at all. The new Zero fret nut alowsyou to change from 9's to 13's without any nut issues or adjustments. The guitar stays perfectly in tune and is really well balanced. I would recomend a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic to anybody. I was a skeptic at first about all of changes and past problems with gibson but I'm a full on believer in the 2015 line. I'm not just saying this because I have one and multipal les pauls, My band mate has a 78 les paul deluxe and I don't like his. I've only played a few PRS guitars but they just didn't cut it for me. I've got an esp 1001, old school Ibanez ex series and Rg 350, epiphone. Hands down the 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic is my choice over all the guitars I have or have ever had.

Well thanks for all the input guy's, and I've weighed all the pro's and con's of both guitars, from features to construction and price, and I've decided to go with the 2015 Gibson Les Paul Standard, it just offers a lot more improvements and innovations to ignore, and it's only $200 more than PRS's Custom 22 which features have not really changed over recent years.

Plus Gibson is in that same unique bubble as Fender where their guitars not only hold their value, but the value goes up as years go by, PRS's drop in value as soon as they leave the store, and continue to decline as years go by.....Heard it from a retail owners mouth myself.

So thanks again for all your advice, i'll share pics of the new setup when it arrives

I may have missed something in my reading, but the big question I have is...

Have you played one of both? Guitars can be fickle at times, and nobody will be able to tell you what works for you better than hands/ears on experience. There's no better way to figure it out. It's usually worth it to make the trek out to a shop to give it a whirl, and even if you decide you made the right initial call, you've got yourself some peace of mind.

We all have certain preferences, but the way my fingers work on my Strat is a hell of a lot different than my Les Paul, or even more drastically my Cordoba (which is my main guitar nowadays). It's all subject to the person, even the specific guitar.

I may have missed something in my reading, but the big question I have is...

Have you played one of both? Guitars can be fickle at times, and nobody will be able to tell you what works for you better than hands/ears on experience. There's no better way to figure it out. It's usually worth it to make the trek out to a shop to give it a whirl, and even if you decide you made the right initial call, you've got yourself some peace of mind.

We all have certain preferences, but the way my fingers work on my Strat is a hell of a lot different than my Les Paul, or even more drastically my Cordoba (which is my main guitar nowadays). It's all subject to the person, even the specific guitar.

I have played Les Pauls, and I have played SE PRS's but not the Custom 22, both played nice but the slim neck of the Les Paul felt better in my hands.

I'll echo most of what Ryan said. I've played more Les Pauls and PRS' than I can count. I have never found any PRS to have any flaw in it. Yet even the two Les Pauls I decided to buy (after a very extended search) have minor flaws. It's nothing major though; a paint bleed or file mark. I got the 25th Anniversary Custom 24, which I ordered from the HOG sight unseen. It came flawless as expected.

The pickups in my Custom 24 are the 57/08. Tim (R9 who was an old member here) recommended them to me because they do have a fatter sound than the normal PRS pickups. These are the same ones on the current Custom 22.

I absolutely love both the my Les Pauls and the PRS. Honestly I don't like the 2015 Les Paul, which has already been discussed ad nauseum here. Even with all the bells and whistles on the 2015 Les Paul I still believe that you'll get more tones out of the PRS. I would take some serious time trying out both under all conditions you'd encounter in your style. When I did that the PRS came out ahead of my Les Pauls but not by much. The other thing I love about the PRS is its whammy bar. I work it pretty hard and it's steady as a rock. For example, I use it on Rush's Digital Man, which gets a lot of work especially in the solo. But it has never gone out of tune.

We (outside USA and perhaps Canada) should read with care the comments which bash some guitar brands/models.

I say this because you can get the most expensive electric guitars in the world for the best possible prices. In short, you're more prone to OCD than others. In Brazil, I'm always talking about cost x benefit. A PRS S2 starts from $2500 while it's $1400 in US.

A $980 Gibson Studio 2014 costs $1600 here.

So the opinions should split the finish part from the sound and playability part. I don't care with figured top or if the scale doesn't have a beautiful neck binding. Or even if the satin finish glows unevenly with time.

This said, I could prefer a LP Standard or even a Studio Pro if it sounds as better or if I can play it as comfortably as a PRS.

I'll echo most of what Ryan said. I've played more Les Pauls and PRS' than I can count. I have never found any PRS to have any flaw in it. Yet even the two Les Pauls I decided to buy (after a very extended search) have minor flaws. It's nothing major though; a paint bleed or file mark. I got the 25th Anniversary Custom 24, which I ordered from the HOG sight unseen. It came flawless as expected.

The pickups in my Custom 24 are the 57/08. Tim (R9 who was an old member here) recommended them to me because they do have a fatter sound than the normal PRS pickups. These are the same ones on the current Custom 22.

I absolutely love both the my Les Pauls and the PRS. Honestly I don't like the 2015 Les Paul, which has already been discussed ad nauseum here. Even with all the bells and whistles on the 2015 Les Paul I still believe that you'll get more tones out of the PRS. I would take some serious time trying out both under all conditions you'd encounter in your style. When I did that the PRS came out ahead of my Les Pauls but not by much. The other thing I love about the PRS is its whammy bar. I work it pretty hard and it's steady as a rock. For example, I use it on Rush's Digital Man, which gets a lot of work especially in the solo. But it has never gone out of tune.

I get what your saying, I do, but I have to get the most bang for my buck, both guitars are pleasing to the eye, and have phenomenal fat, warm tones, but with the new innovations on the Les Paul and value increase as years go on.

I have to go with the Les Paul Standard, hopefully one day i'll be able to make the PRS the second dream guitar when finances allow,, but for a first time dream guitar purchase, I can't pass up the new LP standard.

Archived