Gibson Brands Forums

'Holy grail' vintage Gibson guitar found by Waterloo store

vacamartin

Vintage guitar experts...

I've known a few "vintage guitar experts" for the last 40 years, and know all too well how the industry works. I would REALLY be interested in how much he paid the 92 year old original owner for the guitar. The article states the "retail" value of the instrument as $25,000, and that the guitar sold in 1941 for $35.

So Mark Stutman, 'fess up, what did you pay the man for the guitar that you're trying to FLIP for $25G's? Do you sleep well at night, or do you have to keep one eye open?

So Mark Stutman, 'fess up, what did you pay the man for the guitar that you're trying to FLIP for $25G's?

That's a very good question. I read a post on another forum awhile ago where someone bragged about paying an old lady $100 for a 1960 J-50 they found in her closet.

Folkway seems to be on the level. They specialize in super vintage gibson stuff, so while this is a "holy grail", they repair similarly priced pieces often. I would guess that they either paid a good amount of cash for it, or if the grandchildren didnt want to lose a red cent, they would consign it to them.

I know from my craigslist and ebay encounters that seller's arent just rolling over and getting hosed anymore. quite the opposite.

I spoke with Mark about this guitar and am excited for him to bring it to market. The gentleman was actually very well informed to be an original owner of a J-35. Mark went through a lot of trouble to secure the guitar and provide a proper buying environment for a prospective owner. I don't consider it a flip when he has the kind of overhead and selling infrastructure that takes years to develop.

But I also think that my guitar is even more special! I just don't have good friends at the Times.

I've known a few "vintage guitar experts" for the last 40 years, and know all too well how the industry works. I would REALLY be interested in how much he paid the 92 year old original owner for the guitar. The article states the "retail" value of the instrument as $25,000, and that the guitar sold in 1941 for $35.

So Mark Stutman, 'fess up, what did you pay the man for the guitar that you're trying to FLIP for $25G's? Do you sleep well at night, or do you have to keep one eye open?

I work at Folkway on Saturdays.

This most definitely was NOT a "quick-screw-the-original-owner-and-flip-it-fast" deal, as you imply.

The original owner and his family were QUITE aware of the value and netted far more than what any other J-35 has sold for in the past.

They did VERY well, but I am NOT going to disclose details of private sales on a public forum.

Rest assured Mark Stutman sleeps like a baby at night with a completely clear conscience.

Mark has actually owned this guitar for a number of years and only a select few have known about it.

I have played it a lot and it is bar none THE best Gibson I have EVER played.

I actually tried to convince him to keep it for a few more years (mostly so I could keep playing it on Saturdays.

I spoke with Mark about this guitar and am excited for him to bring it to market. The gentleman was actually very well informed to be an original owner of a J-35. Mark went through a lot of trouble to secure the guitar and provide a proper buying environment for a prospective owner. I don't consider it a flip when he has the kind of overhead and selling infrastructure that takes years to develop.

But I also think that my guitar is even more special! I just don't have good friends at the Times.

I played TVguit's Brazilian L-2 today, and it is a stunner! Spectacular condition, and extraordinary sound. Not sure what I was expecting from a rosewood L-body, but this was something else. Very, very different from a mahogany L. Really nice-feeling neck, too. Wide board, excellent neck set, and all-around great guitar for any vintage.

I played TVguit's Brazilian L-2 today, and it is a stunner! Spectacular condition, and extraordinary sound. Not sure what I was expecting from a rosewood L-body, but this was something else. Very, very different from a mahogany L. Really nice-feeling neck, too. Wide board, excellent neck set, and all-around great guitar for any vintage.

Yes, L2s do rule when it comes to Small body Rosewoods.. :)

I work at Folkway on Saturdays.

This most definitely was NOT a "quick-screw-the-original-owner-and-flip-it-fast" deal, as you imply.

The original owner and his family were QUITE aware of the value and netted far more than what any other J-35 has sold for in the past.

They did VERY well, but I am NOT going to disclose details of private sales on a public forum.

Rest assured Mark Stutman sleeps like a baby at night with a completely clear conscience.

Mark has actually owned this guitar for a number of years and only a select few have known about it.

I have played it a lot and it is bar none THE best Gibson I have EVER played.

I actually tried to convince him to keep it for a few more years (mostly so I could keep playing it on Saturdays.

Well said: There may be sharks out there but there are also a handful of great dealers in the vintage market who I wouldn't hesitate to put my trust in whether buyer or seller and Folkway deserve their place on that list. Mark finds some truly exceptional guitars and it's always a pleasure seeing them, however out of my price range they may usually be.

Getting to play them at 'work'? That's a job I could get used to!

one of these?? :)

th_DSCF9690.jpg

th_DSCF9692.jpg

this one is a 34..

Archived