Gibson Brands Forums

Up? Down? Sideways?

Marshall Paul

the textures you can get are pretty interesting.

I like to play around with C-G-D-G-A-D tuning.

D-A-D-G-A-D is kinda fun too

E-A-D-E-A-E is quite interesting, but your nut and tuning peg (especially the G string) need to be in good order or you'll just blow thru G strings like there's no tomorrow

CGDGAD. Interesting. Think I'll have a play around with that one myself. Thanks.

DADGAD is always fun eh. It's one of those that you always seem to come back to. Like a comfortable pull-over.

That EADEAE, do you capo that one off anywhere? Or, have you considered changing the gauge of your G and B up a step or so to compensate perhaps? That might work eh?

Freaky! As I've been sitting here typing this reply, JJ Cale's "Crazy Mama" has been slow sliding in the background on the radio! lol

BFCA78BB-073C-46CE-BDB5-17A880C911D8_zpsuaehpamw.jpg

It used to get boring to me but not anymore.

And no, alternative tuning doesn't give us more notes. It does help force a shift in playing the same old patterns over and over again.

Love it! It says G'day!! [lol]

Some cool tunings there MP. That's the great thing about this forum, that it makes you think of things you may not have played/ tried for a while. I managed to find this list of Page's tunings which seem to be accurate. I forgot to mention 'Wonderful One' which is on the list from Page & Plant's No quarter album. That's another beautiful sounding tuning, which Page plays 12 string on.

White Summer/Black Mountain Side - DADGAD

Moby **** - DADGBE

Friends - CACGCE

That's The Way - DGDGBD

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - DGDGBD

Hat's Off - CGCGCE (CGCEGC ?)

Going to California - DADGBD

When the Levee Breaks - CFCFAC - (open G, down a tone)

Dancing Days (live) - DGDGBD

In My Time Of Dying (studio)- EAEAC#E

In My Time Of Dying (live) - DGDGBD

Bron-Yr-Aur - CACGCE

Ten Years Gone - DADGBE

Black Country Woman - DGDGBD

Poor Tom - CACGCE

Travelling Riverside Blues - DGDGBD

Wonderful One (Double neck) -

- 6 string - F#F#C#F#C#F# (GGDGDG)

- 12 string - Standard tuning capo 1

City Don't Cry - EAEAC#E

Wah Wah - AEAEEA

No Quarter (on the "Unledded" Album) - DADGAD

Yeah, it's kinda fun and you learn too. Thanks for posting that great list for us all mate, bonza!

And this "Wonderful One" de-tune...that's what I call a DE-TUNE! If your going to go all the way, then this is the way to do it! LOL! I think only Pagey could've come up with that one. lol

I use a piano/Hammond/synth when I want chord voicings and timbres timbers timberii different from the same old guitar sounds. Which is all the time really.

rct

Timberii...too good, love it! I'm calling Websters and Oxford for this one. LOL!

Yeah man. Timbre. Whatever that thing is that we call texture usually. I like the tunings, but I just don't mess with them because I use the keys to move the texture around, get different octaves and voicings of chords.

rct

FREE TIP OF THE DAY: Sometimes I tune one string to some whack note so I can get rightous harmonics of that note, especially minor chords in the usual places, and then have people scratch they haids and ask me how I got that.

Do alternate tunings give us new notes? Have I missed something? :D

Awe, if you haven't had at least one sneaky de-tune, then yes! lol

C'mon, join the rest of us, lose the 440 girlfriend for the evening, and have a little cheat on the side! (your guitar won't tell, honest lol). [rolleyes]

Yeah man. Timbre. Whatever that thing is that we call texture usually. I like the tunings, but I just don't mess with them because I use the keys to move the texture around, get different octaves and voicings of chords.

rct

FREE TIP OF THE DAY: Sometimes I tune one string to some whack note so I can get rightous harmonics of that note, especially minor chords in the usual places, and then have people scratch they haids and ask me how I got that.

Hey, if you can't mess with your audiences head once in a while, then what's the point in performing eh! lol [biggrin]

Yup, the 440Eb half tone step-down. Phil Lynot was a big advocate for that. I think because it probably suited his voice better. Definitely gives a bit more growl eh. I think that maybe if your going to leave it at that, then you might have to go up a gauge in your strings. Like, my standard gauge is 8-38's but I'd probably have to go up to say 9-42's.

If I went up a gauge I'd be on 12s and I am pretty happy with 11s ;)

With your D and F#, is that both 1st string? Or is the F# the G? Sus7th's are always welcome, especially in an open tune.

I am only talking about the top string. You can tune it to different notes and let it ring open while you strum chords to get a variety of drone and haunting sounds. Listen to Gardening at Night by REM.

Big Joe Williams did odd tunings as well as a relatively standard open G. But odd, really odd at times too, on a nine-string.

My impression is that he'd sometimes change the configurations if he figured folks were copying it. A tough, unique old man when I met him briefly at a college folk festival in the spring of '64.

A lot of us kids were messing at the time, too, with this or that tuning, none of which tended to be played very well other than perhaps open G.

ponder this.

I'm sorry Mr. Searcy, I love ya bro, but America had adopted 440 as standard for orchestration during the depression. 435 was the previously used standard in Europe, from none other than Austria, Hitlers home. In 1850 or so. Europe went to 440 as a standard long after Hitler was dead and the war was over.

There is way more to music history than internet memes.

rct

Yup, the 440Eb half tone step-down.

There is no such thing. Tuning to Eb is what this describes. Once you tune down a half-step the 440hz "A" note is no longer 440hz. Instead it is around 418hz. This is also quite a bit flatter than the mythical 432 (A4) found in older classical music.

I always tune down a half step. Even my open tunings are Gb and Eb etc.

There is some crazy stuff out there in the interwebz these days about A4=432 being good for the human soul etc. and the Nazis used 440 to screw with our heads. There are also a bunch of youtube vides where you can listen to the difference for yourself. My neighbor records all of his own compositions in 432 and they make me wanna shoot somebody. But that's just cuz he sucks as a musician not because of the hz of A4 I guess. [biggrin]

There is no such thing. Tuning to Eb is what this describes. Once you tune down a half-step the 440hz "A" note is no longer 440hz. Instead it is around 418hz. This is also quite a bit flatter than the mythical 432 (A4) found in older classical music.

I always tune down a half step. Even my open tunings are Gb and Eb etc.

There is some crazy stuff out there in the interwebz these days about A4=432 being good for the human soul etc. and the Nazis used 440 to screw with our heads. There are also a bunch of youtube vides where you can listen to the difference for yourself. My neighbor records all of his own compositions in 432 and they make me wanna shoot somebody. But that's just cuz he sucks as a musician not because of the hz of A4 I guess. [biggrin]

haha!lol. Remind me never to buy your neighbor's debut album ok mate!

And the only reason I refer to 440 as 440 is not because of any frequencies or anything like that, it's just easier to type 440 than "standard tuning" all the time. It's a lazy thing! lol

About the only one in my household than can tell the diff between 440 and 418 is Floyd, my blood hound. (he's got hearing a sub sonarman would kill for! lol).

And if you want to attach any 'cosmic significance' to 432, that also happens to be the strings you use in a basic 'A Form' chord, what I call my lazy chord. Getting late at night and your getting tired, just give the OD a little more crank and away you go. No-one know's the difference! lol.

Big Joe Williams de-tuning on a 9 string? Wow, well and truly beyond me!

You say your always down a half step there surfpup? Is that a voice thing or just for the deeper growl thing?

And anyone know the frequency of the supposid 'Brown Note'?

Archived