Gibson Brands Forums

VIDEO'S/SONGS -post some that grabbed your attention

4Hayden

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This came out when I was a photography student and it grabbed my attention because of the technical nature of the shoot......................:---)

No kidding! The vid was shot by one of our legendary fashion photographers, Terence Donovan!

Great Song too.

Philip.

Well...

Here I go showing my age.

There actually were lotza pre-television "videos" that went up on movie screens almost concurrently with other "talkies."

This is the type of "movie short" I easily recall from going to Saturday afternoon kids' matinee movies from around 1950-57 when I considered myself too "grown up" for the kiddie shows that cost a dime - and your two-bit piece got you enough candy to gag yourself. This type of short would come after the cartoons and sometimes before the short "funnies" before the real movies like Johnny Weismuller's "Tarzan" series.

This is a movie cut, but it's pretty much what a lotta those would be like.

And it's what made me want to play music some 60 and more years ago.

I started going to 'em before television was available where I lived. And when it was sort of available in a snowy black and white... yuck, indoors in summertime?

m

This came out when I was a photography student and it grabbed my attention because of the technical nature of the shoot......................:---)

No kidding! The vid was shot by one of our legendary fashion photographers, Terence Donovan!

Great Song too.

Philip.

Always wondered why the two girls on the left had short skirts and two on right had long skirts , to me the girls mad that video

4H

Always wondered why the two girls on the left had short skirts and two on right had long skirts , to me the girls mad that video

4H

Ha... that's funny.. I hadn't looked at Pippys link yet but from your one line response I knew exactly what song it was.. And I was right :D

Well...

Here I go showing my age.

There actually were lotza pre-television "videos" that went up on movie screens almost concurrently with other "talkies."

This is the type of "movie short" I easily recall from going to Saturday afternoon kids' matinee movies from around 1950-57 when I considered myself too "grown up" for the kiddie shows that cost a dime - and your two-bit piece got you enough candy to gag yourself. This type of short would come after the cartoons and sometimes before the short "funnies" before the real movies like Johnny Weismuller's "Tarzan" series.

This is a movie cut, but it's pretty much what a lotta those would be like.

And it's what made me want to play music some 60 and more years ago.

I started going to 'em before television was available where I lived. And when it was sort of available in a snowy black and white... yuck, indoors in summertime?

m

Shows class to me and style

...to me the girls made that video...

IMO it was the make-up; specifically the very hi-gloss lippy and that heavy eye-stuff-mascara-shady-eye-hole-thing-that-girls-do.

And I still say it's a great song regardless. I'd really like to play that some day.

Rabs, Farns and Flight take note. Performances dependent I'll allocate guitars and/or skirts accordingly.

P.

IMO it was the make-up; specifically the very hi-gloss lippy and that heavy eye-stuff-mascara-shady-eye-hole-thing-that-girls-do.

And I still say it's a great song regardless. I'd really like to play that some day.

Rabs, Farns and Flight take note. Performances dependent I'll allocate guitars and/or skirts accordingly.

P.

:o

That is a truly horrific image you have just put in to my head.. thanks for that :P

Now I just need to find my little black dress ? :)

4H

Never noticed the skirt length thing until this post, but will agree that this is just one waaaaayyyy toooo cooool video, whether those girls could really play or not.

There were so many videos I used to like, it's hard to chose. Many of the videos I liked weren't even songs that I would normally chose to listen to.

This one comes to mind as a great song and video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pkVLqSaahk

After watching this band in the local bars for years, it was cool to suddenly see them all over MTV with this video

There were so many videos I used to like, it's hard to chose. Many of the videos I liked weren't even songs that I would normally chose to listen to.

Ha.. that's odd, I was thinking of posting that same video :)

Oh well heres a couple more then featuring Peter Gabriel who always had great vids

And I love the simplicity of this one

The first ever video played on MTV Europe :)

Dire Straits "Money For Nuthin'"

And theres just so so many videos I love..... This song has a great video that I think still looks good today, very clever (for its day)

Aha "Take On Me"

Wow Rabs, not much different across the pond, those two immediately came to mind for me! They were literally 2 of my 3 choices...

Along with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQwqSrPdwjQ

Purely for music/guitar virtuosity reasons...

And probably anything with Nancy Wilson of Heart in it with her 80's hair... Dayum!!! msp_drool.gif

Live shows had much more effect on me than anything on TV in video forms. I saw this guy live; Li'l Ed Williams and The Blues Imperials. He (and his "little" brother; the bassist) are nephews of Blues legend JB Hutto...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ipWtY-LSmQ

Changed my life!!!

Wow Rabs, not much different across the pond, those two immediately came to mind for me! They were literally 2 of my 3 choices...

Well you know what they say.. Stupid minds think alike ;) (love Jeff Healey too [thumbup] )

Ohh and I got two more good ones

Along with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQwqSrPdwjQ

Purely for music/guitar virtuosity reasons...

And probably anything with Nancy Wilson of Heart in it with her 80's hair... Dayum!!! msp_drool.gif

Live shows had much more effect on me than anything on TV in video forms. I saw this guy live; Li'l Ed Williams and The Blues Imperials. He (and his "little" brother; the bassist) are nephews of Blues legend JB Hutto...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ipWtY-LSmQ

We agree on Nancy Wilson ;) :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pkVLqSaahk

After watching this band in the local bars for years, it was cool to suddenly see them all over MTV with this video

Short run for Kix but they did make it

Archived