Gibson Brands Forums

The Fender Splatocaster

Rabs

Yes, I saw that a while back. V. Cool.

On a related subject; I was disappointed that we didn't get a sound clip. If it sounds exactly like a Strat then where does that leave our 'Tone Woods' discussion?.....

Cool a aluminum guitar should last a long time

Does anyone else remember the Veleno Guitar?

Velenoguitarbrochure_zps6d16c262.jpg

The first one I saw (and subsequently read about in an interview in the music press) was seen on the cover of the Climax Blues Band's 'Gold Plated' album way back in 1976.

That particular guitar (played by the band's guitarist Pete Haycock who owned three Velenos) was gold plated - hence the album title - but most were left as polshed aluminium.

Apparently they are scarce (EDIT : 192 originals) and prized by players and collectors. I haven't found much info but have a look at the 'names' who own/have owned them.....................................[scared]

http://en.wikipedia....no_%28guitar%29

P.

EDIT : I was obviously not trying hard enough earlier. Here's more for anyone interested;

http://www.veleno.net/history2.html

It also appears that my assumption that most were left 'naked' might be erroneous...

An unassembled Veleno came up for sale on ebay a couple of years ago. There are only so many and they command a very high price now. I think the one I saw went for $6-7k......

I'd still like an original Travis Bean but they cost a lot now, hard to find and weigh more than a LP!

An unassembled Veleno came up for sale on ebay a couple of years ago. There are only so many and they command a very high price now. I think the one I saw went for several thousand dollars......

I'd still like an original Travis Bean but they cost a lot now, hard to find and weigh more than a LP!

Bargain!

When I was looking for info earlier I googled 'Veleno guitar for sale" and this was in one thread from 2009;

"My guitar is #140. It is completely original and comes with two prototype DiMarzio pickups with taps. The sound is beautiful. from a warm hollowbody sound to a screaming dirty rock sound. It has incredible sustain. I have had this guitar a long time and it's time it had a new home. I am asking $20,000 or best offer...."

Dayum.

I occasionally have a scout around for either a Travis Bean or an aluminium-necked Kramer but the T-B's are almost as hard to find as a Veleno...

I first saw a Travis Bean when Lizzy's Brian Robertson had one. Kramers were much better known (at least to me) as they advertised extensively in guitar mags in the late '70s.

Richlite haters take heed; the Kramers had Ebonol fingerboards. Ebonol is defined as being;

"...a paper-based high pressure laminate made from layers of black paper and phenolic resin"...

It was only a year or so ago (google again) that I discovered Gary Kramer had been a founding partner of Travis Bean in '74 but left to start his own company in '76.

Nowadays, as we all know, Kramer Guitars are part of the Gibson Family of Brands!

P.

EDIT : Hmmm......perhaps I don't want a Veleno after all......

Some more stuff to chew over;

"A bit of advice from one who has actually played an aluminium guitar (#17) for over 3,000 gigs as my only guitar(yes, 3,000). Aluminium expands and contracts with small temperature changes, and unfortumately, tuning goes out - way out. Doing 40 min sets with 20 min breaks is a nightmare. Tune the guitar at the beginning of the gig at room temp - fine. Start your set and the guitar quickly begins to warm to body temp and the tuning quickly goes out. The guitar will need retuning after EVERY song for the first five songs of EVERY set.

Although the guitar has an impressive list of owners, how many of those owners have you seen using it as their promary guitar?

Above all - never pack the guitar in a car trunk unless you want to play a cold, freezing, totally out of tune instrument.

This guitar as a collector's item? Perhaps.

This guitar as a practical usable instrument? Not."...

Archived