Gibson Brands Forums

NGD...

glider

Hey all just picked up a les paul standard.... Ebony with cream appointments... Guitar dater project says it was built in 2000 in the Nashville factory .. Plays nice , neck is full but not a baseball thick... Nice weight.. Not a brick but heavy enough.. Anyways here's the questions... Is the guitar dater project accurate with dating? What type of pups were used during this era and lastly is in weight relieved or, chambered? I'll post some pictures soon.. Also what string gauge is best for Paul's?

Those pick ups look like they might have a different type of chrome on them then the tailpiece does in your pics. It is possible that they are not the stock pick ups. It would be helpful if you took them out and took some pictures of the bottom of them.

Nice looking LP. Congrats. . B)

Gibson began using chambering round 2006, so yours is weight relieved - swiss chess.

Guitar Dater just applies a formula to the serial number, and yes, it's accurate with the some of the modern serial formats. However, it can not confirm the validity of the serial number as Guitar Dater does not access a Gibson data base. Only Gibson can verify the authenticity of a serial number. Your guitar looks genuine to me.

Those pick ups look like they might have a different type of chrome on them then the tailpiece does in your pics. It is possible that they are not the stock pick ups. It would be helpful if you took them out and took some pictures of the bottom of them.

Pups Arrested stock bought it from the original owner.. He is a very reliable dude!

Pups Arrested stock bought it from the original owner.. He is a very reliable dude!

He can't tell you what they are? Does Google know? As far as strings go, that's a matter of preference. I've been using 10 to 46 on all my electrics for 30 years, they work for me, the brand doesn't even seem to matter.

Congrats mate, nice buy. If it's around 2000, then I'd have to say there's every chance the pups could be 57's. If it were earlier, then I'd go with the alnico sisters (490R/498T). Take it to the shop and get them to flip them and have a read on the bottom.

Archived