Gibson Brands Forums

New J100

Motherofpearl

Well my wife bought me a J100 Bubinga for christmas. So since I haven't posted yet here goes.

Also a pic of my guitar family.

Left 1950 J45 sunburst removed ugly as hell but sounds great. 2007 Kopp k35 my main guitar, The new J100 and last but not least 50th anniversary hummingbird.

20150113_190327_zpsuc83hzwa.jpg

20150111_201328_zpszopeqbxv.jpg

20150111_201317_zpsabz1bl3f.jpg

Yes no ribbon bridge. All of it seems just basic. Tonally it's of of the best guitars I've played. It's a powerhouse. Great bottom end strong middle and twinkling highs. I've had all variations of the jumbo to compare. I had a 1993 j100 with mahogany and several j200s true vintage Montana gold.

Imo this guitar just nails it Tonally. Super impressed and can't imagine lusting for another jumbo EVER. It's that good. Plugged in sounds incredible aswell.

Yes no ribbon bridge. All of it seems just basic. Tonally it's of of the best guitars I've played. It's a powerhouse. Great bottom end strong middle and twinkling highs. I've had all variations of the jumbo to compare. I had a 1993 j100 with mahogany and several j200s true vintage Montana gold.

Imo this guitar just nails it Tonally. Super impressed and can't imagine lusting for another jumbo EVER. It's that good. Plugged in sounds incredible aswell.

Very nice, MoP!

The bubinga J-100 is one of my favourite variants of the ever-changing J-100 model. Virtually all of the bubinga examples I've played have been really nice, warm guitars.

Next time I'm in FtMc I'll have to come look you up!

Congrats!

Fred

Juan that's next. Initially I wanted the L130 this time. Which is also bubinga but couldn't locate one. This j100 came up on the agf so I opted for it. A good friend of mine here has a beautiful 59 Guthrie 3/4 that's a great sounding box. Who knows may be mine in the future. Just enjoying what I have for now

Interesting. Is that a NO RIBBON brideg?

That's been the typical arrangement on the J100. Had a mahogany '06, and currently own a maple '00 which I purchased new. Love the plain look, although mine adds an abalone rosette which, to my eye, creates a nice balance on the big body (and it's not covered up by the pickguard!).

When originally on the hunt, this J100 smoked every J200 I'd demoed. Whether mahogany, maple, or bubinga, it seems like there are a lot of good J100s out there, so they're always worth checking out.

J-100s are great, better-sounding to my ear than J-200s. I know the maple is partly to create a big sound without the bass being over the top, and while I have heard J-200s on CDs that I love, I've never played one I liked much, and I have played a lot of J-100s I like, some mahogany and some bubinga.

Bubinga is a great tonewood. I used to own a WM-00. This whole "Working Musician" series (00, 45 and 100) was plainly appointed spruce/bubinga, and they were all great. That WM-00 is the one guitar I let go of that I heartily regret. It really had it going on. I could not play fingerstyle at the time, which I'm sure it's great at (especially bluesy fingerstyle), but it really made a nice little strummer. I have a video of me playing it and doing a long set that I haven't watched in years and am scared to. :) Should figure out a way to get it off VHS and onto computer.

Ramble ramble... Anyway, neat guitar, and please pardon my nostalgia.

Archived