Gibson Brands Forums

Joni Mitchell before she was Joni Mitchell

flatbaroque

Someone posted this on the AGF. Some memories here. An old folk show with Joni Mitchell when she was still Joni Anderson. Some very twee corny folkie stuff...but interesting none the less...and Joni looks!!...well check her out....disclaimer..i only watched 10 minutes of it.

http://www.openculture.com/2015/01/vintage-video-of-joni-mitchell-performing-in-1965.html

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was too cool! She was soooo beautiful! It's amazing to see her move from a Jon Baez type singer to that controlled voice that we know so well. Her songs were already head and shoulders above and beyond the folk songs of that era. What a wordsmith…she is in a league of her own.

Dave Von Ronk, Harry Chapan, and Joni (Anderson) Mitchell - and that was just in the first 90 seconds, I have to mark this and watch more later. I remember seeing these shows asa kid in the late 50s early 60s. Black and white, very nostalgic.

I watched all the videos plus some others I found connected to it.. I worked in radio from 1971 to 1979 one of my stops was Cleveland Ohio from 72/73 Joni was a major artists ..the early 1970's was the birth of FM radio and Cleveland had one of the first AOR stations on FM Album Oriented Rock. Where we played just albums no charted hits. The likes of Jimi Hendricks The Grateful Dead the Who were the types of music played. Joni Mitchell although not really rock was huge and as requested as much as the others. She crossed over to all types of music. Watching these videos was like opening a time capsule I even found the DickCavett Woodstock show. It aired August 19,1969 the day the Woodstock Festival ended. He had Joni Mitchell on who was to preform at Woodstock but her agent said the Cavett show would give her more exposure so she didn't play at Woodstock. He had some bands on who played in Bethal NY the sight of Woodstock(not far from where his show was aired)Jefferson Airplane David Crosby and Stephen Stills .Wow what fun watching these.. Check out the Joni Mitchell tag listed above and follow the other videos to see some of this music history and Mitchell who was super talented.

I kinda feel left out.

'63 through '70 I don't recall seeing any Canadian television - and this would have been watched.

We did have some pretty good local pickers in some colleges at the time, too... and I keep wondering what might have happened to them. Some picking marvelously but too shy for a stage, some with huge vocal ability and presence - and only simple strumming.

There was a lot of Folkie stuff. I had a lot of fun with it and in ways, ain't entirely outgrown it.

BTW, Baez did a heck of a job with the old more or less "jazz" standard "Cry Me a River." I think as one ages, so does how one approaches one's own music.

m

1421560037[/url]' post='1616598']

I kinda feel left out.

'63 through '70 I don't recall seeing any Canadian television - and this would have been watched.

We did have some pretty good local pickers in some colleges at the time, too... and I keep wondering what might have happened to them. Some picking marvelously but too shy for a stage, some with huge vocal ability and presence - and only simple strumming.

There was a lot of Folkie stuff. I had a lot of fun with it and in ways, ain't entirely outgrown it.

BTW, Baez did a heck of a job with the old more or less "jazz" standard "Cry Me a River." I think as one ages, so does how one approaches one's own music.

m

Do remember the Canadian singer who did the song Four Strong Winds that must have been popular in Canada . It was well before Neil Young Recorded it.

If anyone needs a reason for playing guitar , in gonna show them that video and point out Dave van ronk and Joni. How else is a big ugly lump like Dave ever gonna get that close to Joni.

hahaha...i seem to remember you posting a picture of your missus...and she was a very good sort! your theory is flawless [biggrin]

Do remember the Canadian singer who did the song Four Strong Winds that must have been popular in Canada . It was well before Neil Young Recorded it.

Uh, you talking about Ian Tyson here? "Popular" would be a bit of an understatement.

Ian & Sylvia were really great. he wrote 'Four Strong Winds" and a few others. An actual cowboy. They were married for awhile. "Someday Soon" and "Early Morning Rain' were huge. I believe he wrote all three. Yes, he was huge back in the day - and I believe is still viewed as an icon in Canada.

Yes, Gasman. Viewing that recent interview was part of some Joni Mitchell appreciating done here last night, which spun off of the original video posted over at the AGF. I like this aged, chain-smoking Joni; she seems more real than the overwhelmingly distracting beauty of her earlier years. And she still has that free, hippie spirit.

Can't begin to express how much I admired Mitchell over the years, , , and still do.

And won't tell her how brilliant she was/is as she might get whims. .

Second show seems to be just before the D-28 she fancied so much. A very good sounding Mart. indeed.

This one sounds as if it has the silk & steel, which were quite hot between folkies from this period and onwards (veterans tell).

Certainly no trace of the unhealthy hand she sometimes speaks about.

A few corny numbers and square types don't matter, , , the whole program is just nice.

Kind of hard the others are plain boiled out, but thanks for posting.

Look at the hat'n'specs-fellows face when she starts the vocal on the splendid Urge For Going (20:18) - priceless, , , it says it all. .

Btw. the host is still breathing somewhere on this planet, , , nearly 100 summers old.

Btw. the host is still breathing somewhere on this planet, , , nearly 100 summers old.

That would be Oscar Brand, who will be 95 in a couple of weeks. He still has his Saturday night folk music radio show, which has now been on the air since about 1945!

It's eerie watching the young Joni Mitchell. She had so much more talent than the most of the others on the CBC show that you almost wonder why they were even there, although the show was a launch pad for an awful lot of talent, particularly in the 1960's.

I came across this a couple of years ago:

Back in the day I wouldn't have been caught dead watching Johnny Cash. But he had so many great artists on the air. And, the quality of the recordings, being for TV, are great. Whenever anyone starts talking to me about modern female singers and how great they are I have them watch this and realize that it is just Joni and a dulcimer. No digital enhancement (hadn't been invented yet) no lip synching, nothin' but her. It still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up when I listen to this.

That would be Oscar Brand, who will be 95 in a couple of weeks. He still has his Saturday night folk music radio show, which has now been on the air since about 1945!

It's eerie watching the young Joni Mitchell. She had so much more talent than the most of the others on the CBC show that you almost wonder why they were even there, although the show was a launch pad for an awful lot of talent, particularly in the 1960's.

Great to hear - like in the vein of P. Seeger.

In the middle of the celebration, a bit bluesy to see the early greenhorn Joni too, , , a reminder that so much film has been rolled now.

Lets be glad she used and filled every single meter as we rolled along. .

An old folk show with Joni Mitchell when she was still Joni Anderson....

Wow, I barely recognized her. I had to pull up a more recent vid of her to compare. Yeah, I guess that's her, lol. Never saw that show, but her first album was absolutely revolutionary. The poetry and pertinency of her lyrics were unlike anyone before. And that voice. I saw her at the Hollywood Bowl when she opened for CSN&Y. Not five seconds into her first song, an honest-to-god meteoritic fireball came streaking through the atmosphere right above the Bowl, breaking up into several glowing pieces streaking across the sky. The crowd went nuts. Joni stopped and asked what's going on? "A meteor, wow." Then she continued with her set. She is so great.

And Dave von Ronk, wow! I really liked his solo stuff, with that courageous gruff voice nobody else had. He looked pretty out of place with that group, lol.

Ian & Sylvia were really great. he wrote 'Four Strong Winds" and a few others. An actual cowboy. They were married for awhile. "Someday Soon" and "Early Morning Rain' were huge. I believe he wrote all three. Yes, he was huge back in the day - and I believe is still viewed as an icon in Canada.

Someday Soon and Four Strong Winds were Ian's; Early Morning Rain is Gordon Lightfoot.

Yes, Gasman. Viewing that recent interview was part of some Joni Mitchell appreciating done here last night, which spun off of the original video posted over at the AGF. I like this aged, chain-smoking Joni; she seems more real than the overwhelmingly distracting beauty of her earlier years. And she still has that free, hippie spirit.

Well…..clearly, she's not free of nicotine addiction...

I saw her at the Hollywood Bowl when she opened for CSN&Y. Not five seconds into her first song, an honest-to-god meteoritic fireball came streaking through the atmosphere right above the Bowl, breaking up into several glowing pieces streaking across the sky. The crowd went nuts. Joni stopped and asked what's going on? "A meteor, wow." Then she continued with her set. She is so great.

Fantastic - lOVE those kinds of stories. .

Was it the 1974 tour. .

...it is just Joni and a dulcimer. No digital enhancement (hadn't been invented yet) no lip synching, nothin' but her. It still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up when I listen to this.

I didn't get the hair on the back of the neck, but I got the tears welling up in the eyes in the first 10 seconds. Not sure how that happens. The simplicity and purity of the talent is just overwhelming, I guess. I used to play a little dulcimer too, back in that era. I've always loved a drone tone in music....

Archived