Gibson Brands Forums

1950 J45 reissue tri-burst

rbpicker

Just saw a new one of this model in a shop for $1,999. This seems low for this model. Is this correct? VERY TEMPTED. It is a light as a bag of chips and sounds great. Nut slots are way too high, but that is very easily fixed.

Advice??

RB

Haven't seen that model, and am curious as to what makes it a 1950 J-45 re-issue, since they didn't do a tri-burst in 1950. If it's a 1950, it should have a block logo, 19 frets, slot-through saddle, 1 11/16" nut, and a tapered headstock with three-on-a-plate Klusons.

Funny. Every person who has held one of these is amazed at their light weight, even the seller of this 50's Re-ish on eBay. The other thing most fanciers of the sunburst notice is that these re-issues received arguably one of the more beautiful bursts to come to come out of Bozeman. However, the finish was not the only thing inconsistent with actual 1950's J-45's. And unfortunately, the weight was not the only thing about these guitars that was on the light sound... I mean side.

Looks like a sweetie, Slim. Love the tort in the pickguard; the photo does, however, show unusual contour to the batwing(?). How did you get such a great deal? Charity shop? Barn sale?

And a 1st year ADJ to boot!

Ebay.. BIN.. :)

this one was a couple years ago.. a 56 J50e

th_DSCF9491.jpg

Our local GC had one of these last year for about that price. +1 on the surprisingly light weight, pretty burst, and good sound. I recall thinking the burst had a reddish element to it that regular J-45s don't have. I'm guessing it didn't have a pickup, but OTOH it had white tuner buttons which I would definitely consider a plus.

To the OP - I wouldn't worry about how it's not really consistent with the 1950 model - judged on its own merits the one I played was a winner, if I was looking for J-45 (was searching for an AJ at the time) I don't think I could have resisted it.

Archived