Gibson Brands Forums

Congratulations to Patriots & Seahawks

L8_4thesh0w

the source of this rumor hasn't been identified,

This goes back bout 7 years when Bellicheck was fined for video taping the opposing team (the jets) practice. It was a big hullabaloo back then and I think it was Jimmy Johnoson that said "this is not news, all teams do this, and continue to gather intelligence on the other teams. The problem is, Someone from the Jets organization brought it to the league attention with The Patriots"

so now, Bellicheck "cheats to win"... even the the same team that accused the Pats of doing this, we're just as guilty. Bellicheck will never live it down.

These allegations will never be confirmed, and it will get brushed under the rug. But it will stir the pot leading up to the superbowl, no one will retract it is my guess until well after the super bowl is over and done. it's ridiculous..

What happenned to the days when the players, teams, and the fans cared more about sportsmanship and SPORTS than the politics, dis-crediting others, and team names?

What happened is the NFL turned in to a 25 billion dollar a year + industry, and it's now about as a corrupt as it can possibly be.

I wouldn't say that. Packers played a GREAT game, nothing to be ashamed of there.

There is a degree of luck involved with football. Definitely, one HAS to say the Seahawks got lucky as much as the Packers got unlucky. But playing a bad game? Not even. Packers played a great game, INCLUDING doing what they had to do to win when they had to do it.

But man, were they unlucky!

Well. When GB intercepted Wilson again toward the end of the 4th quarter, I knew it was a mistake when he just took a knee. I told my friends he should have tried to get some yards and burn some clock. They all said I was crazy and there was no way Seattle could come back. I hate being right in this case cause I was hoping GB would win, but I knew with 5 minutes on the clock Seattle could get ball back, score, do onside kick and score again. It was improbable but very possible....

Well. When GB intercepted Wilson again toward the end of the 4th quarter, I knew it was a mistake when he just took a knee. I told my friends he should have tried to get some yards and burn some clock. They all said I was crazy and there was no way Seattle could come back. I hate being right in this case cause I was hoping GB would win, but I knew with 5 minutes on the clock Seattle could get ball back, score, do onside kick and score again. It was improbable but very possible....

That whole sequence (from the INT to the end of the game in OT) was just unbelievable. I was hoping the Packers would get it done, didn't happen.

What happened is the NFL turned in to a 25 billion dollar a year + industry, and it's now about as a corrupt as it can possibly be.

And they had a sentence written directly into the tax code that defines the tax exemption of not-for-profit organizations such as "...professional football leagues...".

It's true. Mid-70s, when they were about to go bust. It's how we got the sick, obscene money that is spent every year, and how we the taxpayer get to pay for their houses.

Talk about entitlement mentality.

rct

And they had a sentence written directly into the tax code that defines the tax exemption of not-for-profit organizations such as "...professional football leagues...".

Yep This is Absolutely 100% true!

obscene isn't it??

Some info on DeflateGate - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (source: http://deadspin.com/reports-dqwell-jacksons-int-triggered-deflated-ball-in-1680569440)

"The NFL's investigation into whether the Patriots deflated footballs during their AFC Championship Game victory over the Colts was triggered by Colts linebacker D'Qwell Jackson's second quarter interception, according to reports from both WCVB's Mike Lynch and Newsday's Bob Glauber. Lynch reports that Jackson felt the ball was underinflated and notified the equipment manager, while Glauber says a Colts equipment staffer noticed the supposed underinflation. That set off a cascade of events that eventually reached the league office. Via WCVB:

According to sources, the equipment manager then informed the Colts' head coach, Chuck Pagano, who then informed the team's general manager, Ryan Grigson.

Grigson then called the National Football League's director of field operations, who then called the locker room and spoke with the officials on the field at halftime."

Some info on DeflateGate - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (source: http://deadspin.com/reports-dqwell-jacksons-int-triggered-deflated-ball-in-1680569440)

"The NFL's investigation into whether the Patriots deflated footballs during their AFC Championship Game victory over the Colts was triggered by Colts linebacker D'Qwell Jackson's second quarter interception, according to reports from both WCVB's Mike Lynch and Newsday's Bob Glauber. Lynch reports that Jackson felt the ball was underinflated and notified the equipment manager, while Glauber says a Colts equipment staffer noticed the supposed underinflation. That set off a cascade of events that eventually reached the league office. Via WCVB:

According to sources, the equipment manager then informed the Colts' head coach, Chuck Pagano, who then informed the team's general manager, Ryan Grigson.

Grigson then called the National Football League's director of field operations, who then called the locker room and spoke with the officials on the field at halftime."

Why not just ask the nearest official for his opinion, or tell the head coach immediately?

It's true. Mid-70s, when they were about to go bust. It's how we got the sick, obscene money that is spent every year, and how we the taxpayer get to pay for their houses.

Talk about entitlement mentality.

rct

The amount of money they make dosn't bother me so long as it's the fans that are paying it. But the non-proffit crap and the tax payer funded mega stadiums and million dollar contracts for unproven, punk, thugs. [thumbdn]

The amount of money they make dosn't bother me so long as it's the fans that are paying it. But the non-proffit crap and the tax payer funded mega stadiums and million dollar contracts for unproven, punk, thugs. [thumbdn]

A very large percentage of football revenue, if not all, passes through the league and out to the teams. It is extraordinarily complex, all done to comply with their own tax exempt status. It is exactly what is wrong with this country, on teevee, every Sunday, worshipped more than the church stuff.

As an example, the league buys the tickets to the super bowl, writes down from revenue that amount, distributes the tickets to the teams in a very complex matrix, the teams then use second party ticket re-sellers to sell them, re-directing the revenue from that right back to the league, who then dispenses those funds through yet another complex matrix. Extremely legitimate, absolutely legal and in fact protected by the law, scalping. Which you and I can't do, we can't sell a ticket in the parking lot, not legally, we could get popped hard for it.

This year it is estimated there will be 1000 tickets available to the general public. Laughable if the money wasn't just so filthy.

rct

DeflateGate blows up -

Disturbing findings announced by the NFL. Each team provides 12 game balls for their own use - 11 of 12 of the Patriots balls were under-inflated by 2 full pounds. The Boston Globe reports that, "the league inspected each of the Patriots’ 12 game balls twice at halftime, using different pressure gauges, and found footballs that were not properly inflated." "We don't yet know if there was an issue with the footballs in the second half...."

"Unless there is a reasonable explanation, and neither New England nor the NFL has offered one yet, the Patriots should worry about losing draft picks as punishment. Their reputation may never be fully recovered."

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/on-scale-of-1-10--it-s-11-for-patriots-in-deflate-gate-mess---070254658.html

DeflateGate blows up -

Disturbing findings announced by the NFL. Each team provides 12 game balls for their own use - 11 of 12 of the Patriots balls were under-inflated by 2 full pounds. The Boston Globe reports that, "the league inspected each of the Patriots’ 12 game balls twice at halftime, using different pressure gauges, and found footballs that were not properly inflated." "We don't yet know if there was an issue with the footballs in the second half...."

"Unless there is a reasonable explanation, and neither New England nor the NFL has offered one yet, the Patriots should worry about losing draft picks as punishment. Their reputation may never be fully recovered."

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/on-scale-of-1-10--it-s-11-for-patriots-in-deflate-gate-mess---070254658.html

OK, I'll bite.

First off, this is poor reporting in that it doesn't site a source for the statements made more than once, "The Colts balls were not under-inflated". To me that's reporting an assumption, and for such a critical detail relating to the story (which IS an accusation), the fact this is missing makes this gossip.

Of corse, the ONLY thing that matters, is IF the Pats purposely deflated the balls. Did they or did they not? If this IS such a big deal and such a big story, why has no one offered any evidence or ideas or even "gossip" relating to that aspect? No pics? No video? No statements? Make an accusation, but report nothing related to it?

I get it. I get gossip, and the "need" to report it. And the gossip is, the Pats MAY be caught for cheating because they MAY have deflated the balls. In other words, there MAY be a story. So the story is there isn't a story, but there might be a story.

So...find something, report something that the Pats DEFLATED the balls. Then we have a story.

And all this talk of loosing draft picks seems stupid. Either you get caught cheating or you don't. Don't punish on a suspicion. Don't talk about it.

But if they were cheating, the only thing that makes sense to me is to forfeit the game. Disqualified.

Deflategate gets deeper -

"The Colts raised concerns to the NFL about the possibility that the Patriots were using deflated footballs in the Nov. 16 regular-season game between the two teams, according to a report from ESPN on Wednesday."

Former NFL official Gerry Austin said he believes someone purposely let the air of out those footballs. "My understanding is all 12 balls were under the 13 pounds (per square inch), but 11 of them were more than two pounds under the 13 pounds. ... Both teams balls were brought in at halftime to my understanding and all 24 balls were checked. The Colts balls were still up to 13 pounds and the Patriots balls were not."

Source: http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/report-colts-told-nfl-about-patriots-deflated-footballs-in-november-1.9829583

Deflategate gets deeper -

"The Colts raised concerns to the NFL about the possibility that the Patriots were using deflated footballs in the Nov. 16 regular-season game between the two teams, according to a report from ESPN on Wednesday."

Former NFL official Gerry Austin said he believes someone purposely let the air of out those footballs. "My understanding is all 12 balls were under the 13 pounds (per square inch), but 11 of them were more than two pounds under the 13 pounds. ... Both teams balls were brought in at halftime to my understanding and all 24 balls were checked. The Colts balls were still up to 13 pounds and the Patriots balls were not."

Source: http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/report-colts-told-nfl-about-patriots-deflated-footballs-in-november-1.9829583

There's a little more "dirt" to go on.

Of corse, being of sound mind and memory, having to guess if this "source" spoke according to what he heard because of the scandal or stating facts, I'm not going to give this any weight beyond saying it's a possibility there is weight there.

Archived