Gibson Brands Forums

A guitarist and his sound

daveinspain

Looking at Marshall Paul's thread about his Red Special purchase got me to thinking how certain guitarists have a distinct sound… Brayan May stands out in that respect. Then there is Jimmy Hendrix. I'd also have to say Jeff Beck and Carlos Santana to name a few…

Who jumps out at you as having their own sound?

I can pick Joe Walsh out from the crowd. Don't know why, just can. He's very distinctive to my ear.

And Frampton, Nugent, Borich, and SRV.

They just seem to have a very personal tone and technique.

Yup, Dave and his worlds most famous four notes, can't miss it!

Ian Anderson with his classical guitar doing "Thick As A Brick".

Micky Jones, Robyn Trower, Mark Knopfler, Dickey Betts, Tom Scholz, Gary Rossington, Scotty Gorham, Roger Fisher, EVH, Micky Ronson, Ian Moss, John Brewster.......!

Been listening to them all for so long, I could pick them all out in a heartbeat! lol

Yup to many of the aforementioned.

Some not yet named;

Neil Young.

Eric Clapton.

B.B. King.

BTW, MP; I thought the most famous four notes in music were to be heard in the opening bar, first movement, of Beethoven's 5th........

..........although D.G.'s are perhaps the most famous four different notes...........[smile]

P.

IMO most, if not all 'great' guitarists have their signature tone

Hank Marvin

Scotty Moore

Johnny Marr

D!ck Dale......strewth the profanity police.... :blink:

John McLaughlin

John Scofield

Mike Stern

Martin Carthy

Huddie Ledbetter

John Renbourn

Bert Jansch

George Harrison

V

:-({|=

BTW, MP; I thought the most famous four notes in music were to be heard in the opening bar, first movement, of Beethoven's 5th........

..........although D.G.'s are perhaps the most famous four different notes...........[smile]

P.

LOL! Quite correct! We'll say Daves are the second most famous then! lol [flapper]

I think I learned Eric Clapton's unique sound earliest.

I'd say Dicky Betts and Duane Allman came next for me and stood out.

Peter Frampton is very distinctive! Circa 2009 or so when Davey Knowles released his "Coming Up For Air" album I felt sure Peter was playing on those songs... Sure enough later I found the YouTube footage of it and found Peter had not only produced it but had played with Davey on it too...

In my 40's I discovered Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and I've never been the same since. To me Danny Kirwan is my hero that I seem to have more affinity for than most anyone else, and think his playing is utterly unique and superb, (before the Munich acid party that ruined both he and Peter Green) Especially Danny's left hand vibrato which is 2nd to none and IMHO even better than the pinnacle that every talks about Kossoff for... Danny's vibrato is like no other! Simply sublime.

Billy Gibbons certainly stands out, SRV did, but after him a whole host of guys now play like SRV did. Back then he was really the first that played like that, and I don't mean when he'd play like Hendrix like Voodoo Chile...

Elmore James, JB Hutto, Li'l Ed Williams (JB's Nephew)

And Albert, man does Albert King stand out to me. His unique sound is unGodly to me and without peer!

I think Roy Buchanan certainly stands out in a class by himself.

T-Bone Walker, Lowell Fulson, and Eddie Taylor were certainly original.

Lonnie Mack is wicked and unique as hell!

Obviously BB King stood out!

Yeah, that Munich party definitely took out one of the best blues players of the time. Such a waste. And then there was Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan too

And then there's Frampton's unique sound. I remember once hearing a cover of a song called "Black Hole Sun", and thinking, 'jeez, this bloke plays and sounds like PF'. I was told later that it was him!

Al Di Meola

Eric Schenkman - Spin Doctors

Jeff Peterson - on Dobro & Steel - The one that played for Clint Black, not the slack-key guy.

John Fogerty

Wayne Kirkpatrick - Christian Contemporary musician - smooth & lyrical, reminiscent of the guitar work on Paul Young's "Every Time You Go Away"

I don't think I've seen him mentioned, but Eddie Van Halen. I remember when Micheal Jackson's song "Beat it" came out and as soon as I heard the solo, I thought, "That's Van Halen."

I'd also add Neal Schon of Journey, Tom Scholz of Boston, and Alex Lifeson of Rush.

Clapton, Jimi, SRV, Gilmour, Santana and Gibbons all have standout tones IMO.

Angus Young for sure.....unmistakable.

SRV had such a unique "thick" strat tone.

Randy Rhoads had his own tone and style so he always had his own sound.

Slash to the point where they've named it (AFD Tone)

Obviously Toni Iommi.........his sound changed the game.

Buddy Holly.....

NHTom

Archived