Gibson Brands Forums

Naked Or Not?

joevacc

I removed the pick guard from my Sherri last week. I am pretty sure I am going to leave it off because I find it much more comfortable.

I have to admit that I have a love/hate relationship with Epiphone pickguards… I have never bonded with the shape of them. I was thinking that i would have a custom ES-335 shaped guard made because I DO like the Gibson style.

I like that Epi guards are unique and help one to spot an Epiphone a mile away…

Now that it is off though I am sure that I like the way it looks this way.

What say ye on this very personal preference?

My%2BSherri%2B62%3A50.jpg

I removed the pick guard from my Sherri last week. I am pretty sure I am going to leave it off because I find it much more comfortable.

I have to admit that I have a love/hate relationship with Epiphone pickguards… I have never bonded with the shape of them. I was thinking that i would have a custom ES-335 shaped guard made because I DO like the Gibson style.

I like that Epi guards are unique and help one to spot an Epiphone a mile away…

Now that it is off though I am sure that I like the way it looks this way.

What say ye on this very personal preference?

My%2BSherri%2B62%3A50.jpg

I say leave it off. I like to see the wood top. I find a raised pickguard like this gets in the way after only playing a Strat for nearly 20 years. Now any guitar whose pickguard isn't incorporated into the body of the guitar gets removed.

I'm normally a pickgaurd on type of guy, if mainly for the fact it gives the fingers a place to rest closer to the strings- something I'm more used to, especially being used to Fenders.

But if I had THAT guitar and it looked THAT good without it, I might consider it being a no-pickgaurd guitar for most of our life together.

It will eventually come down to your playing style and right hand technique.

I too originally liked the look without the pickguard on LP/ES/L style guitars. It showed more wood and looked more "balanced" and symmetrical. As my playing style developed and my right hand technique advanced, I found the "need" for the raised "fingerrest".

So, in my case, the raised guard serves a vital function, and esthetics no longer figure into the equation.

Your results may vary.

Yes the HOLES!! I was acutely aware that the holes would be left there. At first I figured that I would replace the screws but they were much more conspicuous in the guitar than out. So, I used a pencil to color in the hole on the face and I have to say it is not bothering me as much as I thought it would.

I am usually with you Thomse, if it's designed that way I am inclined to leave it...

That said, it has been quite a few days now since I removed it and it has absolutely aided my ability to play palm/bridge muted passages. In fact I have written a piece of music recently that has the whole verse palm muted and because I have been using the technique often I am sure I am going to leave it off.

L5Larry wrote: "It will eventually come down to your playing style and right hand technique."

Yes, agreed.

I have been studying with the most fantastic teacher for almost a year now. One of the first things he changed with my right hand was to NOT anchor my fingers. It took months and months to undo 40 years of picking while anchoring.

The challenge has been worth it for me because what I was doing hindered me greatly. Now that I am aware of it I see many a great player anchor their fingers so I am not saying that this technique is wrong or bad… I have only resolved myself to do exactly as this teacher suggests because of the result I have seen him get first hand with other students.

burchster, thanks for the offer but because I have a limited edition guitar I am keeping every piece that came with it. In fact with the exclusion of the nut everything I have done to the guitar is completely reversible.

I am glad you all did not want to burn me at the stake for being a heretic! Hhahahhahaha

jv

Yes the HOLES!! I was acutely aware that the holes would be left there. At first I figured that I would replace the screws but they were much more conspicuous in the guitar than out. So, I used a pencil to color in the hole on the face and I have to say it is not bothering me as much as I thought it would.

I am usually with you Thomse, if it's designed that way I am inclined to leave it...

That said, it has been quite a few days now since I removed it and it has absolutely aided my ability to play palm/bridge muted passages. In fact I have written a piece of music recently that has the whole verse palm muted and because I have been using the technique often I am sure I am going to leave it off.

L5Larry wrote: "It will eventually come down to your playing style and right hand technique."

Yes, agreed.

I have been studying with the most fantastic teacher for almost a year now. One of the first things he changed with my right hand was to NOT anchor my fingers. It took months and months to undo 40 years of picking while anchoring.

The challenge has been worth it for me because what I was doing hindered me greatly. Now that I am aware of it I see many a great player anchor their fingers so I am not saying that this technique is wrong or bad… I have only resolved myself to do exactly as this teacher suggests because of the result I have seen him get first hand with other students.

burchster, thanks for the offer but because I have a limited edition guitar I am keeping every piece that came with it. In fact with the exclusion of the nut everything I have done to the guitar is completely reversible.

I am glad you all did not want to burn me at the stake for being a heretic! Hhahahhahaha

jv

It all depends on the right hand playing style as well as esthetics. For me it is more condusive to my playing comfort. I do however like the look of a pickguard on a Goldtop.

If you are "heavy handed" and use flat or finger picks, and don't mind the associated scratches, scuffs, chips and abrasion marks that a scratch plate is installed on a guitar to prevent and reduce such occurrences, then leave it on. If you don't mind the type of damage the plate is installed on a guitar to prevent, then leave your guitar neked/plate-lessmsp_sleep.gifmsp_smile.gifmsp_sleep.gif

I sort of go guitar by guitar.

On the acoustics, I left it on my Martin D35 and Gibby J200 but peeled them off the 2 Epi EJ200s and MR500.

The vintage acoustic guitars I have also left them on.

None of my nylon string guitars were built with them, though my Cordoba flamenco guitar has a clear plastic adhesive scratch guard which is unremovable without destroying its finish.

On the electrics, I've taken them off a few, and left them on a few depending on aesthetics. Mostly I take them off arch-tops which I find terribly beautiful without any additional adornment, and since I primarily fingerpick guards serve no particular function for me.

On the recent Epi LP Florentine Pro, it was shipped with the PG not installed, but in a separate sack with mounting hardware included. This was great as I not only did I not have to cover up the lovely F-Holes, but there were no screw holes or tooling marks left behind.

Archived