Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to date an early J-50

Fatstrat

I recently acquired a vintage Gibson J-50 at an incredible price. (See my post in "introduce yourself" forum).

As far I can see it has no serial number. But has what I'm told is a "Fon" number located inside the body by the neck joint. Which is : 9308 32.

Guitar has small pick guard, open tuners and the "open O" type headstock logo.

Just joined this forum and the best info I've gained from my other guitar forums is early 1950's estimate. Would really like to try to nail it down to a specific year if possible. Any help appreciated. Pic of front.

IMAG0490_zpsf3ba36b5.jpg

I think that you are in the ballpark. Looks nice enough from the less than great pictures! Can you get them clearer?They appear hazy. I dig the wood bench in the background as well. What part of the country are you living?

In NE Okla. Thanks on the bench. I built it after seeing one like it for sale in Branson Mo. Hardest part was finding the Cedar slab lumber.

Features and FON say 1951, or early 1952 at the latest. Last year before letter-prefix FON's (which began sometime in 1952), and one of the highest-number FON's from the 1948-1951 period. Should till have a tapered headstock (in profile) as well, I believe.

Most from this period that I've seen have closed-back three-on-a plate Klusons, but not all.

Nice guitar. I have a J-45 from the same general period, FON 3644 8.

Thanks for the replies. The headstock isn't tapered. If I understand the meaning.

I'm not sure if the tapered headstock went out in 1951 or 1952, but this may well be an early 1952, before the prefix change-over. Either way, it doesn't impact on the value or the basic construction characteristics. This was a really good period for J-45/J-50/SJ models, based on the ones I have played.

Archived