Gibson Brands Forums

Best southern rock guitar

Dickey played all those songs on every guitar you can imagine and his #1 at home is his Tele from when he was a kid.

Everybody else, Outlaws to .38 Special to Skynyrd and Hatchet to Tucker and Daniels used everything.

rct

Yeah there is no real guitar for that apart from the one you like playing and you like the sound of...

These may sound like sarcastic answers but really as we have discussed on here many times, its the guitarist who makes it sound like it does, no matter what type of guitar they are playing...

But pretty much all of the guitars in the Gibby line up are versatile enough that you really need to chose based on, neck playability and action which is different on each guitar, types of pickups.. so if you want more vintage sounds avoid the hot ones, and then which one you like the look of the most.

And possibly more important is your amp and amp settings.

The best and only advice for such a question really is for you to go and play as many guitars as you can.. And if you are in a shop, play it through a similar amp to what you have at home.

If you list some specific things like, do you want a whammy bar, do you prefer slim or fat necks and what sort of price range you are looking at it may be easier to suggest something for you.

In a nut shell....

if you desire the first born...

you must obtain the first born....

after that, there is less of a luxury.

Our ears must learn to re-discover all over again...

what it was we loved.... and are willing to settle for...

that so resembles the innocence of the first born .

Happy hunting on what you can afford! Cheers!

Hey everyone, I'm wondering if someone could recommend me a guitar for 70's type southern rock. Vintage guitars are ok. I really love playing allman brothers stuff among other things, and I know Duane and dickey both played les Paul's. Thanks everybody!

Right, vintage LP's with lower output pups, probably a little on the bright side. Don't forget the SG that Duane gave to Dickey, brighter and punchier than LP's. Probably played through Marshall Plexi amps, either 50 or 100 watt. For slide it sounded as if Duane was probably using the neck pup. Try a 2014 Traditional LP, low output 59 tribute pups that have brightness and chime. You can crank the neck pup without all the mudiness.

The first setup I think of when it comes to "Southern Rock" would of course be a sunburst Les Paul Standard cranked through a 50w Marshall Plexi full stack. This, or something very similar, was being used at the time by the Allman Bros, Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc. This is the sound I was trying to recreate when I bought my tobacco sunburst Les Paul Standard in 1975.

The amplifiers played a huge role in the sound of those bands, and is the part we all got wrong at the time. We figured that as loud as they played, they must be playing 100w or 200w Marshalls. I can tell you from first-hand knowledge that Duane and Dickey were playing CRANKED 50 watters. A friend of mine had one of the old Allman Bros' 50w Marshall amps for years. He recently sold it to Derek Trucks, so it is back in the "family".

There was also a constant, and continuing debate over "British" tubes vs "American" tubes in the Marshall amps, as none of us could ever really sound like Jimi, Duane or Eric. It was "rumored" at the time that the Marshalls sold in America were "different" than the ones sold in the UK, and this turned out to be somewhat true in at least the type of power tubes used (6550 vs EL34 I believe).

Anyway, I got somewhat amplifier sidetracked on a "guitar" question. Les Paul Standard IS the sound of Southern Rock to me!

The first setup I think of when it comes to "Southern Rock" would of course be a sunburst Les Paul Standard cranked through a 50w Marshall Plexi full stack. This, or something very similar, was being used at the time by the Allman Bros, Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc. This is the sound I was trying to recreate when I bought my tobacco sunburst Les Paul Standard in 1975.

The amplifiers played a huge role in the sound of those bands, and is the part we all got wrong at the time. We figured that as loud as they played, they must be playing 100w or 200w Marshalls. I can tell you from first-hand knowledge that Duane and Dickey were playing CRANKED 50 watters. A friend of mine had one of the old Allman Bros' 50w Marshall amps for years. He recently sold it to Derek Trucks, so it is back in the "family".

There was also a constant, and continuing debate over "British" tubes vs "American" tubes in the Marshall amps, as none of us could ever really sound like Jimi, Duane or Eric. It was "rumoured" at the time that the Marshalls sold in America were "different" than the ones sold in the UK, and this turned out to be somewhat true in at least the type of power tubes used (6550 vs EL34 I believe).

Anyway, I got somewhat amplifier sidetracked on a "guitar" question. Les Paul Standard IS the sound of Southern Rock to me!

The Les Paul Standard is the sound of rock...period. With the alnico or ceramic sisters in it, it was the stable workhorse throughout. And your 100% right. The type of amping was the key. And there was a difference between the UK and US Marshalls at the time, and it was all to do with the tubes. Both pre and power sections.

if you desire the first born...

you must obtain the first born....

after that, there is less of a luxury.

Our ears must learn to re-discover all over again...

what it was we loved.... and are willing to settle for...

that so resembles the innocence of the first born .

Wow, heavy.

lol