Gibson Brands Forums

Who would like to see a "Pedals" Forum added?

L8_4thesh0w

For those of us with little to no experience with pedals, finding information about them on this website can be quite time consuming.

Multiply by infinity when searching the web in general, and you never know who has a vested interest in the effects they're demonstrating. Plus, how accurately can you judge by what you hear over the internet?

Some folks can go to a store and try some out. Some folks don't have easy access. I've seen at least one website where you can rent to try them out. Have any of you gone this route?

I, for instance would like to learn more about Choruses, Flangers, Phase Shifters, Leslies, Wahs & Loopers. Reverb & Vibrato are great, but...

Some of you have a lot of experience with pedals, and some of you have a lot of pedals.

Speaking for those of us with not so much money to throw around trying this and that, a discussion of pros and cons could be very helpful in finding out where to start.

ϵβ

YES! Complete with demonstration videos, and personal accounts/experiences, into a variety of amps!

(Even though this will sound like a "Duh" statement, It's amazing how different the same pedal can sound,

in different amps!) And, how much different they sound at "bedroom" levels, and at "performance" levels,

too. Be nice to see/hear demos on all of that!

Just some thoughts...

CB

Pedal discussions have always historically lead to schematics.

Schematics have always historically lead to arguments.

Arguments have always historically lead to fist fights.

Fist fights have always historically lead to the loser of the fist fight contacting the maker of the pedal to clear things up.

Contacting the maker of the pedal to clear things up has always historically lead to "hey...wtf is a schematic of my pedal doing on your page man?"

"hey...wtf is a schematic of my pedal doing on your page man?" has always lead to the evacuation of the web page/forum and maybe even a lawsuit or three.

rct

... Some of you have a lot of experience with pedals, and some of you have a lot of pedals. ϵβ

Me [biggrin]

I voted yes obviously. You cannot have a real full & complete discussion about guitars, gear & music creation without including discussions about pedals. This is an excellent forum & can only be made better & more informative with the addition of an effects forum.

Without it - it's like having a forum about coloring books and only discussing red, yellow & blue crayons. I'd like to be able to discuss using the entire box of colors available. [thumbup]

For those of us with little to no experience with pedals, finding information about them on this website can be quite time consuming.

Multiply by infinity when searching the web in general, and you never know who has a vested interest in the effects they're demonstrating. Plus, how accurately can you judge by what you hear over the internet?

Some folks can go to a store and try some out. Some folks don't have easy access. I've seen at least one website where you can rent to try them out. Have any of you gone this route?

I, for instance would like to learn more about Choruses, Flangers, Phase Shifters, Leslies, Wahs & Loopers. Reverb & Vibrato are great, but...

Some of you have a lot of experience with pedals, and some of you have a lot of pedals.

Speaking for those of us with not so much money to throw around trying this and that, a discussion of pros and cons could be very helpful in finding out where to start.

ϵβ

Come on by the house. I'll let you try all you want. [thumbup]

Me [biggrin]

I voted yes obviously. You cannot have a real full & complete discussion about guitars, gear & music creation without including discussions about pedals. This is an excellent forum & can only be made better & more informative with the addition of an effects forum.

Without it - it's like having a forum about coloring books and only discussing red, yellow & blue crayons. I'd like to be able to discuss using the entire box of colors available. [thumbup]

Thank You! =D>[thumbup] You and Surfpup put a bug in my ear, so to speak.

There are discussions here but they are scattered all over the site and we know how well the search function works, right? [tongue]

Well, one could add a pinned subtopic, in The Lounge. I guess that's what I thought was

meant by a "forum/topic," for pedals. And, Gibson HAS made or sponsored/sold pedals, in the past!

The Maestro Fuzz, and other's. So, it's not outside the possibilities, IMHO.

CB

That would be an acceptable idea. I would rather hope for a separate Forum though, devoted to "Pedals" or "Effects" in All Things Gear and Guitar.

Pedal discussions have always historically lead to schematics.

"hey...wtf is a schematic of my pedal doing on your page man?" has always lead to the evacuation of the web page/forum and maybe even a lawsuit or three.

rct

This is problably true, even if it sounds extreme.

If you look at other forums on the net about pedals (and there ARE a few), this IS the template that explains it the best.

There are some real "experts" out there that take pedals to the extreme and really get into them. And there is also a lot of drama in that area. A LOT of drama.

If you look at other forums on the net about pedals (and there ARE a few), this IS the template that explains it the best.

There are some real "experts" out there that take pedals to the extreme and really get into them. And there is also a lot of drama in that area. A LOT of drama.

Oh the drama. It all started with the Klon Centaur...

rct

I think the mods would be pretty quick to squelch any threads that shared proprietary information, since it is against Gibson's forum rules.

More likely they wouldn't have to as this place is frequented by a more agreeable or politely disagreeable crowd.

As for the drama... girls will be girls and I have a teenage daughter... Nuff said?

Edit: Sorry, no offense intended toward any of our wonderful female Forum members, unless, of course, you prefer that kind of spotlight. [rolleyes]

My impression is that this forum is unique & seemingly more mature. I don't believe members or our moderators would tolerate that type of behavior here. :)

I am mixed on this.

We don't even have a real amp forum, and it rarely gets discussed in any real depth.

My opinion is, pedals are not necessary, but a good amp is. A GOOD amp as opposed to a so-so amp. A guitar player doesn't really need GOOD pedals, if at all, but a good amp is more important than a good guitar.

Now, that's just MY opinion.

As far as those that get into pedals and use them, I don't feel it is my place to prevent that aspect of another mans enjoyment. And, I understand there IS enjoyment and gain from such ventures.

So, I have to say I support anyone in their ventures and interest and think it's a good thing, so I support those that want a pedal section. But out of love, I want to say forget about pedals and re-direct your energy into your amps and get INTO them.

The entertainment value of a pedal forum can not be understated. The opportunities for complete hijacking and dis-, mis-, and non-information are limitless. The use of the fewest words to make the greatest insult possible is just too good to miss. It would be true old school usenet/bbs/newsgroups style fun!

Hard Core Pedal Guy, like REALLY Hard Core Pedal Guy, in the 90s: "Hey guys, I need some help here. I've got two Klons and I'm having trouble getting them set right. Any help with setting these things would be much appreciated"

Me: "Set them out on the curb Monday night."

BAM! 4 months of non-stop fighting ensues. Awesome!

rct

My impression is that this forum is unique & seemingly more mature. I don't believe members or our moderators would tolerate that type of behavior here. :)

True.

I also tend to believe, that the pedal peeps who are also the drama queens do not currently have an interest in being here. BUT- that could also be because we don't have a "pedal forum".

I don't mean to imply that pedal peeps are less mature or less good as poeple or guitar players. However, the "pedal community" does attract them more than THIS community does.

Pedals, and "boutique" pedals attract entrepreneurs who see it as a quick way to make a company, and there is a lot of argument over stealing designs, who came up with what, and a surprising amount of dishonesty involved. Mostly because someone stole someone else's variation on a design they didn't come up with in the first place, and a disproportionate amount of fraud accusations.

In short, DRAMA, but with the threat of teeth. For....lol...pedals!

Archived