Gibson Brands Forums

Fret buzzing

vw1300

I had my AJ at the luthier's for a setup after I got it last summer. They fixed a buzz and said they leveled the frets. However, I've been playing more with a capo lately and noticed when I have it on the 2nd fret, it's not hard to get buzzing if I strum it more than with medium force. Is this normal?

Does the buzzing occur with the cspo at 2, and strings aare open? Or is the occurence when strings are further fretted? If open, perhaps you have a bit of a low 2nd fret, or some fret wear? I am a heavy handed cowboy chord "death-grip" player, and my first 3 frets can really show some wear.

I had my AJ at the luthier's for a setup after I got it last summer. They fixed a buzz and said they leveled the frets. However, I've been playing more with a capo lately and noticed when I have it on the 2nd fret, it's not hard to get buzzing if I strum it more than with medium force. Is this normal?

If nothing else has changed you may just need to shim your saddle. Buy some .015" rosewood and cut some shims and just try one piece at a time. These days I strum very lightly and I keep my action very low and have no buzzing problems but if one of my heavy handed friends pick up my guitar it will buzz on them. It shouldn't take much to get rid of it. Let me know if you can't find some and I'll send you a piece

Thanks to all who replied. The buzzing happens when I hit a cowboy chord hard with the capo on the 2nd fret. If I play lightly it's OK. Sounds like my relief is on the low side, but for now I'll live with it, I like the action low - I'm trying to improve my bluegrass playing, which is why I bought this guitar in the first place. It is likely not fret wear, I only got this guitar in June, and it looked like it hadn't been played much.

Slightly OT, but the D'Addario coated EXP 16 Phosphor Bronze strings seem to work pretty well for this guitar. I've had them on since the end of last summer, will try Elixir PBs next.

Archived