Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall JVM 410h 205h or 215C

Sabredog

I have a beautiful Les Paul super 57 pickups,

I'm ready to buy a Marshall I've always wanted a Marshall and stupidly never bought one,

always some sort of placeholder amp.

Two years ago I bought a Mesa boogie Mark five and it's definitely an awesome amp. But I almost felt like I got tricked into buying it by the salesman.

But I have to work so hard to get rid of the flubiness. I want that buzz saw Marshall tone.

I spent four hours now messing around with the DSL 40 in guitar Center, And it's convinced me the Marshall tone is awesome.

It's just too harsh every time I dial out the trebels the tone changes too much. So I don't like the DSL 40 even though it's pretty good.

I almost bought a $300 Marshall in box pedal but why not go all the way.

I'm just an in the house player. But I occasionally entertain friends.

But I'm convinced the 205 head or the 215 combo 50 W would be ideal.

But I'm also attracted to the four different channels on the 410 but I'm sure that hundred watt amp is way too much for my apartment.

Except that I do manage to dial the 90 W Mesa boogie down to the correct levels with the master volume.

So the question is should I get the 410 and deal with the overkill. But enjoy the many flavors

Or get the more sensible 215 combo. And lose out on the two additional channels. And also gain about $4-$500

There is a used 205 head on eBay for $1000 I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on.

How many people Have played both those amps.And can give insight

Sabredog

Gotcha mate. I own a 410 head and have never regreted it. It roars! If you want something a little tamer but still a Marshall roarer, then I'd personally go with the DSL50 head. Excellent mid range amp. Can't go wrong with this one. Always keep your options open as much as possible. You never know when you'll need them.

Gotcha mate. I own a 410 head and have never regreted it. It roars! If you want something a little tamer but still a Marshall roarer, then I'd personally go with the DSL50 head. Excellent mid range amp. Can't go wrong with this one. Always keep your options open as much as possible. You never know when you'll need them.

thanks.

So I would have to buy a used DSL 50, it appears they don't make those anymore, the DSL 40 high mids actually get painful. So as I read more reviews about those I'm a little leery about All the DSL's.

Do you play that 410 at bedroom level successfully?

Do you use all four channels?

I'm guessing people probably settle on channel 2 And channel 3 mild to heavy overdrive.

If I buy that head I would also plug back into the Mesa boogie's Celestion black shadow speaker, use that as a cabinet.

Any opinions on his speaker like that.

I definitely feel like it might be a case of too many channels.

Which the two to channels with three levels of drive probably more than enough for me.

Out of the nine tones on the Mesa boogie I definitely settle on the middle three the Mark I, Mark IIC+ and the Mark IV.

Sdog

If your thinking one for around the house type thing, have you considered then perhaps the Mesa Boogie V 25W amp? Good unit.

The gain structure or the distortion is just too loose On the Mesa boogies.

You can save it with very careful EQ adjusting, dialing out the base slowly dialing out the mids very slowly dialing up the presence until you get very tight power cords.

But as I said before it's too much work switching from one song or one town to the other one can take me five or 10 minutes of twiddling.

So while the Mesa boogie is usable and I can squeeze the tone until I get close it still isn't that tight structure that the Marshall is.

I just came back from guitar Center has spent almost 3 hours playing the 205 head into a 2 x 12 cabinet,I could hardly stop playing with a stupid grin on my face.

70s and 80s rock distortion guns and roses Def Leppard power chords exactly what I want. Reminds me of a power saw tight Buzz saw bottom end

So now I'm thinking of getting the 205 combo with the two speakers.

It certainly comes to life with a little volume but I was very impressed how the master volume can turn the output down without losing the tone, impressive!

So now it comes down to it 215 C or at 205C

couple of guys here are very happy with their small Marshall Slash amps - i havent heard one but might be a way to get the marshall sound in a more practical way if you live in a flat and be space efficient. Otherwise the old 800 combos are pretty awesome (used though obviously), maybe with an attenuator. [biggrin]

Archived