Gibson Brands Forums

why so many models?

denis-brazil

i realized that lately gibson is introducing so many diferent models of guitars..

I dont know your opinion, but i think it sucks..

Well, a while ago we knew the options and could reconize a guitar model on stage or tv...but know its impossible...

i understand that limited series can be cool..but keep as line product so many options of the same model, for example a les paul standard, sounds as a hunting-nickel at least for me..

so you buy your guitar and on the next week they release diferent of options of the same product?

id like to know more opinions...

by the way: im a standard guy..have one sg and e a traditional. Yes just traditional...no frills!

cheers

denis - brazil

ps: sorry about my bloody english

Hello Denis!

Well...I have mixed emotions about this.

Yes, ideally, I prefer things to be in order, like if it's called a Les Paul guitar, then it should be either a Standard, Deluxe, or a Custom.

On the other hand, I am very happy to see such unique things, like the 7-string Classic, or the new ES-Les Paul White-top. If they didn't do the '11-'12 Classic Custom, I could've never afforded a real Les Paul Custom...

Let Gibson do, what they think is good for the business. As long as there is diversity, we all can find what fits us the best. I am bitter about one thing only: the force-feeding of some new features (but it was discussed beyond boredom already).

Cheers... Bence

I'm with you. A Standard should be the Standard. The Custom should be the Custom, and so forth. It's all very confusing now.

Unlike your bloody english mate, which sounds bloody perfect to me.

Cause when your right, your bloody well right, eh!

LOL!

I think it's nice that Gibson is changing models and adding features every year.

This is innovation. More or less, after researching a little, you can always find a model which suits your needs in the current year. That is, there is always a model which uses vintage pickups and/or hardware, 50s or 60s neck, with or without weight relief and so on. However, you can't assure that the next Standard will be the model you always wanted. Maybe the next product line will offer a Traditional, a Classic or a Deluxe which will suit your needs.

Also, Gibson is one of the main players which can influence the guitar market to move forward - automatic tuners, adjustable zero fret nut, push-pull or push-push every knob to alternative tones, and so on. If there will be too much rejection from consumers, they go back to a more conservative approach next year. Anyway, consumers who bought such excentric models will have a rare guitar in his/her hands. This makes each guitar feel unique.

I'm OLD, so I prefer Gibson's original line up...Jr, Special, Standard, Custom!

Both for Les Paul's, and SG's! SG's with the original early 60's beveling, and

horn tapering, as well. I also believe, that ALL Les Paul's (and SG's) within those models,

should be spec'd and built/finished, like the originals were. Custom Shop should

be for one of a kind, or very special limited runs. Not just an excuse to build

Gibson models, they way they should be, in the first place, and to charge an a

heavy premium, in the process. BUT, that's just ME! [tongue][biggrin]

However, Gibson will introduce anything they think will sell. If it doesn't, it's

dropped, pretty quickly. And, the best thing is to just buy the one's you want,

or like, and disregard the rest. There's always the "Custom Shop" for anything

you want, specifically, and are willing to pay the substantial premium, to obtain.

Cheers,

CB

I'm fairly young at 31 years old, but I too prefer the original line up of Custom, Standard, Special & Junior. Now there are so many variations, of say a Standard, that seem more to do with marketing and selling more instruments. I do like some of the variations, but even going back to things like the Classic and in more recent years the Traditional, they are basically offshoots of the Standard with slight differences. The figured Traditional they did recently looked just like the 2013 Standard and while it does differ in some areas, I wonder if people need it instead of the simple original 4 LP line up of the 50's? Then there is the pre-2013 SG Standard and then the more recent SG Traditional (that came out over here in the UK) which IS the same guitar except for the pickups if I recall correctly.

I'm more "traditional" too (hey...is that a model?). I've got some pretty strong feelings about this, due to what Fender has done / been doing for quite some time. I recently started a thread praising Gibson for not having a confusing array or models- but I am new to Gibson (not new to guitars)and don't know the whole Gibson line or anything.

My feeling is as long as Gibson is making their "Gibson" branded guitars in the USofA and continues to do so, I'm cool with that. I absolutely hate what Fender does- with their "shop worn", "pawn", "road worn","NOS","Closet Classic" etc. etc. When I was gigging regularly I was on two Fender boards a lot. The gist of most discussions was "what pickguard color should I..." and the never ending "That's not a REAL (insert model, year, title here) because the initials "GS" don't appear in the neck pocket and Fender employee Gail Somebody ALWAYS put a drop of her perfume in the pick-up cavity when she worked there from June 21, 1960 to Feb. 30th 1963!" You get my point...

Gibsons won't fall prey to all the mix-matching of major parts because they are not built that way. And at present, you don't have to worry if a Gibson's guitar body is Mexican, the neck is Japanese and the bridge is from lower Slobovia. Of if Leo his-own-self turned in the screws for the neck-plate.

I like that Gibson puts out various models, and drops them if they don't sell. I was the "proud" owner of a Gibson Marauder in 1978- a strange combination of flying V headstock, Les Paul-esque body, humbucker in neck and single coil in bridge with a "blender" knob...Interesting piece, that. Sorta wish I till had it...but I'm already looking at my next Les Paul...a "Special"!

Brian

I like that Gibson puts out various models, and drops them if they don't sell. I was the "proud" owner of a Gibson Marauder in 1978- a strange combination of flying V headstock, Les Paul-esque body, humbucker in neck and single coil in bridge with a "blender" knob...Interesting piece, that. Sorta wish I till had it...but I'm already looking at my next Les Paul...a "Special"!

Brian

Don't know when, but Gibson released a re-issue of that guitar, complete with relic job to look like the real thing. Saw one in a pawn shop for $699 two weeks ago.

Yes there are a lot of models...

I liked the way it was till about 2014 when things started getting weird...

It used to be that apart from Ltd Editions which are fine, the production models of "Standard" level guitars were the Classic which was based on the 60s models with slim necks, the Traditionals that were based on 50s models with fat necks and apart from maybe having slightly less flamy tops or plain tops were pretty much Standards.. The Standard on the other hand is the companies flagship model which was the one that they experimented on to keep up with current trends...

And that was great.. you knew exactly what you were getting.... (check out the 2010 standard if you haven't seen it before, that was really out there for a Standard http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Standard-2010-Limited.aspx)... (but I love it compared to the 2015s :P)

With the addition of models like the Signature-T and all the changes they have made to the Classic and Traditional line up over the last couple of years, its totally muddied the waters.. And now this year they totally went mad with the changes.. As to what 2016 holds, who knows :)

Hello guys,

I totally agree with Rabs.

Gibson should stick to models like Studio, Standard, Classic, Traditional and Custom. Then "you'd know exactly what you're getting..."

For example, I would never buy a 3-knob Classic LP. Is it Classic or what?

Classic owners don't get me wrong. I know you love your guitars.

IMHO, that mini toggle boost should be an option for those who really want such feature. Same for G-Force, Zero-fret nut and so on...

I love the phase-reverse feature on my LP. But I don't think people who own a previous Standard model miss that.

Best regards.

Re

i respect the decision to try a complete new model like the 2015 guitars...anyway, its a kind of paradox for me...why should i buy i model called traditional to try "new" acessories?

like or not, gibson is famous and bloody expensive about what it means in past...yeah i know...im talking as an old bloke...in fact i am...and i dont care,,,

have a great weekend my guitar player mates!

Yep... marketing to sell more and feed our GAS. It's the same with any commodity; house, cars, motorcycles, yachts, phones, etc.

I just miss going to a music stores in the sixties and seeing only a few models; and mainly hang-out with other bands.

Archived