Gibson Brands Forums

What to buy: mid-range Epiphone or low end Gibson?

Kenan

If I ever decide to buy a new guitar, I was wondering, should I go for a mid-range (quality/price) Epiphone OR for that same money by the cheapest possible / low end Gibson?

What's the real difference in quality? What would you do? :)

Thanks.

If I ever decide to buy a new guitar, I was wondering, should I go for a mid-range (quality/price) Epiphone OR for that same money by the cheapest possible / low end Gibson?

What's the real difference in quality? What would you do? :)

Thanks.

I dig Epiphone guitars... does that make me a bad personmsp_unsure.gifmsp_confused.gifmsp_sleep.gif

Difference in "quality"...I'll let others speak to that...but to me, not much...really. Maybe the electronics are better in a Gibson, maybe not. Play as many as you are able, then decide. I believe Epiphone guitars are the best value for your hard earned $$$, again, that's just me.msp_smile.gif

I'd play as many guitars in the price range you have in mind, various brands...then, most likely, obtain the one I liked the best...but, that's just me. msp_smile.gif

I agree with Crust. most Epiphones in the price range of the lower end Gibsons have Gibson pickups and come with a case so the one to buy is the one that feels right in your hands. Happy Hunting!!

I think a lot depends on what you consider a lower-end Gibby and a high-end Epi.

You can get a decent Epi for 400 to 600 bucks. And you could also pay a lot more than that.

You could get a lower-end Gibby for 1100 bucks. You could also get some for a lot less than that. What is "lower-end"?

Either way, if you are going to spend actual money, PLAY THE GUITAR FIRST. Value for money doesn't matter unless you like it, and if you are going to play it rather than just have it, the value comes from thinks pictures and descriptions do NOT tell you.

If you want better resale value then Gibsons hold price a little better. If you're planning to keep the guitar then it's not such a clear choice. If you are confident to tweak and modify then Epiphones have few real limitations. The newer pickups are pretty good (and a simple soldering job to swap if you choose to).

I recently went to buy a Gibson SGJ from a local store. the other guitarist in my band has just got an LPJ and I was impressed with the quality for the price. I wanted a lighter axe so I went to get the SGJ. While the shop guy was getting one from stock, as they hadn't got a new one on display yet, I picked up a worn brown Epi G400 and played that for a while. When the Gibson came out I was kind of disappointed by how little I personally found in it to make it preferable to the G400. In fact, I liked the neck on the Epiphone better so I bought that, a hard case and some pedals. I spent the same money, but opted for the Epi. I'm a veteran modder and repairer so any parts that don't suit me can be easily swapped out. At the moment all I feel the need to change is the pup selector switch. Pots are fine, frets are fine, neck is great and the pickups sound good through my amps.

So, play both. See which feels and sounds best to you.

If you want better resale value then Gibsons hold price a little better.

You know, I HEAR that, and it's the thing everyone says, but I am not sure this really holds up in real life.

Of corse Gibby's hold more value because there is more value to begin with. But if you look at resale value as a percentage of new, I think they come out about the same.

Any "good" guitar that cost a fair amount of money will be worth something when selling, so naturally, having a guitar that sells for good money new and say "Gibson" on it is like having a certain amount of money in the bank. But you WILL take a loss, just like anything else used vs new. Same thing with Fender, Martin, or any other QUALITY guitar.

I think the reputation may have something to do with the fact that many of the guitar manufacturers put the same name on foreign/cheaper guitars as they do the higher-end ones, thus, if someone says "Gibson", it's more of a guarantee.

However, you pay 600 bucks or less for an EPI, how much can you loose? You won't get a lot in resale, but you didn't PAY a lot to buy it in the first place. But I bet it's going to sell for the same 60 percent or so of the new price as a used guitar that the expensive ones will.

I just wrestled with this myself. Price was the biggest deciding point for me. $500 for a really nice Epiphone LP or $1200 for a really nice Gibson LP. In essence the same guitar one made overseas and one made in the states. Other then that I can't tell the difference.

Most midrange priced Epis are not even close to the price of most lower end Gibsons.

One exception is the SGJ. I have a 2006 G400 that I like very much. Recently I purchased a Gibson SGJ14.

The Gibson only cost $89 more. But IMO it is a MUCH better guitar.

The pups alone make the Gibby so much better. Next I would say the bridge is terrific. Supposedly the same kind as on the Epis. But it is much better. Also came with Graphtech nut and went thru the PLEK treatment.

I own 4 Epis and love all of them. But if you can get a Gibson, I say get it. [thumbup]

Oh the heck with it...get a used Manufactured in Mexico Fender Stratocaster... they are pretty cheap (relatively inexpensive) second hand, at most guitar shops, online, Craigslist, Guitar Center... and, they are pretty nice electric guitars too, certainly iconic as well. Parts and modification "kits", pickup upgrades, electronics and controls and other interchangeable pieces and parts are available at 90% of the same places the guitars themselves are... works for me...msp_mellow.gifmsp_unsure.gifmsp_glare.gifeusa_shifty.gifsmile.gif

ca06027b-2f2b-44f8-bd14-27f0922c666c_zpsbf3a8ade.jpg

Also, with a Stratocaster, unlike most Les Paul or Electro-Spanish style electric guitars, you'll get a whang bar vibrato/tremolo apparatus to add more dynamics to your guitar's performance capabilities. mellow.gif

I once went down to my local guitar shop with my heart set on a pre-owned Gibby SG they had, it didn't quite inspire. So I set about trying every guitar in the shop that was fixed bridge and in my price range. I ended bringing home a beautiful Ibanez instead. Let your fingers guide your wallet not the other way round.

As for quality difference between Gibby and Epi, regardless of wood quality and electronics, one of the differences is the ergonomics I.e. Gibby lp has a more pronounced violin shape of the carved top and more of an angle on the neck and a slightly wider nut. also, one of the main reasons that Gibbys cost more is the amount of time they put into the nitro finish.

Archived