Gibson Brands Forums

buzz kill of the century

im frustrated guys

I am in a sticky situation, i have 3 days to decide weither or not to keep the new guitar (73 les paul custom), the neck sounded good @ first, but after playing it more and more, this guitar sounds VERY muddy, and the highs are very tin-y

I am tempted to go for a full pot and cap job, as i expect that would open up the tone and really let the guitar sing............ this is where the predictament is

if i do a job like that and still dont enjoy the guitar, i would void the return policy, and i would be stuck with a guitar that is an average player, and sounds pretty bad

i guess this would be a "landmine" as opposed to a "goldmine" when it comes to guitars sight unseen, im pretty sure that i am going to return it

the neck Pup has a nice woman tone, but it doesent clean up @ all

the bridge Pickup is really hot, but razor thin

do i bank on the fact that T-tops, transitional tendons, and kalamazoo made guitars are killer, or do i just pursue a different guitar?

buzz kill of the century

I know you dig this guitar because it's an old LP and all but not all old LPs were winners and, in fact, quality control was worse "back in the good ol' days." Besides, in your other thread, you said the fact that the pots and some stuff were changed bothered you; now you're looking to replace stuff in the hope of propping up a guitar you were turned off by because it wasn't all original in the first place.

Get rid of it, Jesse. You'll run across another old LP that you'll like eventually.

There are turds in every era of guitar manufacturing. Also one person's turd is... Well, you get the idea. Send it back.

The only way a guitar "grows on you" is if you convince yourself it's better than it is. It's called rationalization. You don't like playing this guitar - you like the idea of owning this guitar. Send it back.

thanks for the input guys, i really value your guy's thoughts

this weekend, (today actually) i am going to try and flip it for 3500, but as long as i can get more then 2100 (what i paid), i rather get the cash right now, then have to ship it back, and wait for a refund

but if i gotta ship it back, i wont trip over a dollar to save a dime

I know you dig this guitar because it's an old LP and all but not all old LPs were winners and' date=' in fact, quality control was worse "back in the good ol' days." Besides, in your other thread, you said the fact that the pots and some stuff were changed bothered you; now you're looking to replace stuff in the hope of propping up a guitar you were turned off by because it wasn't all original in the first place.

Get rid of it, Jesse. You'll run across another old LP that you'll like eventually.

[/quote']

Jesse, I'll echo what Rich just said; trust me I've been there. I have a really sweet sounding '73 LP Deluxe Gold Top that literally blew away all the other LPs that I tried when I bought it...and I mean a LOT of LPs. When I bought this baby I sat down in front of a wall of Les Pauls...Customs, Deluxes, etc. and played every one of them. Needless to say I loved the sound of this Deluxe...this is inspite of all the bad press that was made of the Deluxe's "mini-humbuckers". I get harmonics and tone to beat all on that guitar.

If you don't like the sound you're hearing now, it's highly unlikely you'll like it in 3 months or a year. Get your money back, ship it back and wait. I know waiting sucks...but believe me, the wait WILL be worth it to find THE guitar for you.

Archived