Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Tribute L2 ??? okay..

slimt

Gibson.. why would you call this a Tribute Guitar.. when its not even what its suppose to be?

at least you got the 14 fret and peghead ..what about the rest??? I seen this one for sale 2900.00..

th__57_zps0ebkgzdh.jpg

th__57_zpsnatahdzc.jpg

What happened?

Yeah, remember not liking this when it came out, too much of a mash up for my tastes. I'd love to see a reissue of either the later 14 fret Rosewood L-2 or the 12 fret Argentine Grey version and I think either would be a more successful seller than this oddball. Still, I doubt they made many and hopefully the people that bought them like them.

When I bought my '31 L0, a dead ringer for the one pictured on this Acoustic Music.org page, the owner referenced the L-2 but I didn't see the relationship. I'd be curious to hear the tone variation of the bulbous lower bout, but will certainly snoop out a little more history to see how close to the timeline my guitar is to the so-called transitional body shape.

http://www.acousticmusic.org/Gibson-L-0-1931-p-572.html

Generally I remain skeptical of any guitar with "Tribute" or "Inspired By" in their moniker. Not saying it may not be a great playing and sounding guitar but to me it signifies something that will not be even close to the instrument from a back catalog it is supposedly representing. Gibson seems to worry more about cosmetics than structure with "reissues."

I think it's a very cool guitar. Gibson doesn't make money by making exact reproductions- they make money by selling guitars. I think this one hits a untapped market at a great price point.

Of course, the 14 fret Rosewood L-2 size hole in my heart is already filled msp_smile.gifmsp_smile.gif

Archived