Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson les paul traditional 2014 ocean blue

hoross

First question, very low output? I would never have called these low output, rather perfect output. Compared to EMG, they provide the big picture, the amps behave properly whereby the volume can have an effect on gain. Roll back to reduce it and crank it up as desired.

Nothing like a strat. Nothing. Strats and Teles have their own ballpark and a semi-hollow Gibson has a better chance of getting close. 2014 LPTrad Ocean Blue w/59T's sounds like the iconic guitar recorded time and time again. It sounds like a killer LP.

The pickup output is more for controlling gain, the volume and tone knobs, the neck pickup are mixed in (middle position) and gives the players a wide variety of tonal options. It is bright on the bridge pickup, heavy gain when cranked. Back it off to 8 and it changes it completely, add in 10% of the neck and it cuts the gain back, 20% neck and its same gain, but slightly warmer, 50% neck is warmer still, 100% neck&bridge is very full sounding.

I say this having played all HSS guitars for 20+ years, never understanding how useful 2 humbuckers can be for carving tones. The LP Trad Ocean Blue w/59T's is an animal, born as a Les Paul and it won't let you forget it.

If Gibson ever read any comments, it was buyers who advised Gibson that the Traditional, in fact should BE traditional. The 50s neck, radical sounds, no weight relief. A 120th Ann inlay is on the 12th fret and this drove all those same people crazy, not to mention the Blue color. But 2015 was a massive departure from traditional, and who knows where 2016 will take us.

Yup, pretty much. [thumbup]

If I had any complaint about their Blue finishes, I like a natural back and neck better then a dark blue finish but thats a small thing. [biggrin]

First question, very low output? I would never have called these low output, rather perfect output. Compared to EMG, they provide the big picture, the amps behave properly whereby the volume can have an effect on gain. Roll back to reduce it and crank it up as desired.

Nothing like a strat. Nothing. Strats and Teles have their own ballpark and a semi-hollow Gibson has a better chance of getting close. 2014 LPTrad Ocean Blue w/59T's sounds like the iconic guitar recorded time and time again. It sounds like a killer LP.

The pickup output is more for controlling gain, the volume and tone knobs, the neck pickup are mixed in (middle position) and gives the players a wide variety of tonal options. It is bright on the bridge pickup, heavy gain when cranked. Back it off to 8 and it changes it completely, add in 10% of the neck and it cuts the gain back, 20% neck and its same gain, but slightly warmer, 50% neck is warmer still, 100% neck&bridge is very full sounding.

I say this having played all HSS guitars for 20+ years, never understanding how useful 2 humbuckers can be for carving tones. The LP Trad Ocean Blue w/59T's is an animal, born as a Les Paul and it won't let you forget it.

If Gibson ever read any comments, it was buyers who advised Gibson that the Traditional, in fact should BE traditional. The 50s neck, radical sounds, no weight relief. A 120th Ann inlay is on the 12th fret and this drove all those same people crazy, not to mention the Blue color. But 2015 was a massive departure from traditional, and who knows where 2016 will take us.

Excellent description man [thumbup]

Plus you can also get stuff like woman tone as demonstrated by Eric (2 mins in)

Denis, you would be interested in a Marshall amp. Marshall amps are fun to research. Not only does Marshall have 50 years of models to shop, must be a dozen boutique clone builders claiming to add features and tonal options, while improving reliability. I am having a hard time deciding!

I use Mesa Dual Rec, Fender Vibro Champ, Peavey Classic 50/50 w/ADA preamp and a wide variety of speakers, none of my amps know how to sound like a Marshall. If the Vox doesn't get you close enough, don't despair! The Marshall preamp stages are unique and their output stages are as well. These are major contributing factors to Randy tone. A bright amp, mids pushed, tons of gain, magic fingers.

If you love Randy Rhoads, Frankie Bonali explains ALOT in his new movie Well Now You're Here, There's No Going Back. It gives insight into young Randy and his influence on the band. He was THE MAN, highly educated, highly curious, impossibly talented. The band fell into place behind him.

Also a big fan, been trying to master Crazy Train solo for at least 25 years, obviously I never will. Remember George Lynch played Mr.Crowley and he changed it up... I always wondered what if he TRIED to play Randy. I try. I always try. I would never throw my own version in place... I would rather flub it.

• 1 month later...

thanks mate! i will check this movie...sorry for the late reply"

Denis, you would be interested in a Marshall amp. Marshall amps are fun to research. Not only does Marshall have 50 years of models to shop, must be a dozen boutique clone builders claiming to add features and tonal options, while improving reliability. I am having a hard time deciding!

I use Mesa Dual Rec, Fender Vibro Champ, Peavey Classic 50/50 w/ADA preamp and a wide variety of speakers, none of my amps know how to sound like a Marshall. If the Vox doesn't get you close enough, don't despair! The Marshall preamp stages are unique and their output stages are as well. These are major contributing factors to Randy tone. A bright amp, mids pushed, tons of gain, magic fingers.

If you love Randy Rhoads, Frankie Bonali explains ALOT in his new movie Well Now You're Here, There's No Going Back. It gives insight into young Randy and his influence on the band. He was THE MAN, highly educated, highly curious, impossibly talented. The band fell into place behind him.

Also a big fan, been trying to master Crazy Train solo for at least 25 years, obviously I never will. Remember George Lynch played Mr.Crowley and he changed it up... I always wondered what if he TRIED to play Randy. I try. I always try. I would never throw my own version in place... I would rather flub it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

well i own one gibson less paul 2014 120 aniversary ocean blue tribute model and i love it.  solid body, 57 pickups are loud enough, very very nice sound and very good to play. I played many different les pauls from other brands and also many other guitars with different settings and pickups, but this is the rockmachine you want to have and a fender strat USA, forget the rest

Bert Holland

• Haha 1

Quite an old thread.

The 59 Tribute pickups are IMO some of the best pickups that Gibson have produced in recent years, only fitted on the 2014 and the unpopular 2015 Trads. It was after hearing one that I searched for a new old stock 2014 & I wouldn't part with it, I would even go so far as too say the build quality and timbers on my Trad are at least as good and maybe better than my Custom shop R8 of similar vintage.

Edited by IanHenry

46 minutes ago, IanHenry said:

Quite an old thread.

The 59 Tribute pickups are IMO some of the best pickups that Gibson have produced in recent years, only fitted on the 2014 and the unpopular 2015 Trads. It was after hearing one that I searched for a new old stock 2014 & I wouldn't part with it, I would even go so far as too say the build quality and timbers on my Trad are at least as good and maybe better than my Custom shop R8 of similar vintage.

I can agree with all of that.  Thanks to the hysteria over the 2015s, I got a steal of a deal on one.  Top shelf quality.  It is absolutely great all the way around.  You have to be able to play a big neck. though.  It is probably one of the the most massive necks ever put on a LP.  But that just adds to mass of the non-weight relieved body giving it deep long resonance.  Add the '59s pups and you get LP heaven.

Worth another look:

fRogi7p4bctcJKDbA1XrrUEgbVoOLfeF4HLbkkuG

Edited by Wmachine

• 1 year later...