Gibson Brands Forums

What are good Pot and Cap values for a Bass

Rabs

Ive got an old bass to fix up for someone.. Just the wiring as it crackles from the input jack.. Its just a cheap no name P Bass copy...

So heres the pots.. all vey corroded... and typically the value seems to be right under the solder [rolleyes]

DSC_0930_zpsnsdbnodk.jpg

DSC_0929_zpsacfawtbt.jpg

So what is the usual pot value for them 250k?

I may just replace all of the wiring and the input jack... Also whats a typical cap value for a bass?

Any help, as always, is appreciated :)

250k pots and a .047uf cap will do.

-Ryan

Cheers man... Yeah I thought as much, just wanted to check in case I was missing something.

Actually I did this today.. Tried to replace the pots but the shaft of my regular CTS pots didn't fit in the holes for them.. SO I just changed the output jack and it seems ok.. I think it was just suffering from huge corrosion. The pots probably will need changing too but at least it works.

If in doubt, you could always measure them.

Fender P-Bass would be too-fiddy and too-fiddy. TYPICAL, vintage, original style.

If, however, there is ever a situation where it's just impossible to know what's in a thing, there is that 250k for single coil and 500k for humbucker rule. Save and give back the old parts- no harm, no foul.

If in doubt, you could always measure them.

Fender P-Bass would be too-fiddy and too-fiddy. TYPICAL, vintage, original style.

If, however, there is ever a situation where it's just impossible to know what's in a thing, there is that 250k for single coil and 500k for humbucker rule. Save and give back the old parts- no harm, no foul.

Yeah .. You know what, I really need a multimeter, maybe that should be the next thing on my list to get.. Its all well and good guessing but I reckon better to actually know [thumbup]

But yeah, as you say its not biggie im just doing a favour for an old friend.. it really is an old piece of crap :).. so anything I do will probably be an improvement anyway ;) The jack I put in today was a proper Fender one, so theres improvement number 1 :)

Archived