Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dennis G

What Made you Pick up a Guitar?

My first conscious memory of wanting a guitar was when I was 10 years old, in the barn at my grandparents farm. My uncle was letting me help him work on a motorcycle (handing him tools) and he put on the TNT tape and I was hooked from the go. Had to wait another two years until I got my first guitar, a used Sigma DR-28, which I still own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDCs7ijNUVM

THAT'S the song that made me want to pick up the bagpipes.

As a little kid seeing Ed Sullivan was my first inspiration. Then many 50's 60's Artist's. But I never really started playing until I was in the Army & always broke.

I had a friend named David T. Cupp from Pittsburgh area who played. I learned Bar Chords from him. We jammed all the time. I sang. We were doing a lot of early Stones & Yardbirds tunes that had Harp parts. So one day I picked a Harp & Neck Harp holder & started playing Guitar, Singing & playing the Harp.

It was so basic & real. I really dug those Jams!

I've lost touch with my old friend Dave unfortunately. I went to Vietnam & never knew where he ended up. If anyone here knows him tell him Glenn from the Army days would like to hear from him. Would be great to Play again.

Glenn

The Beatles, and the British invasion got me very interested, but it was Cream, and Blue Cheer that got me to get a guitar, then a bass. The Bass won out over the 6 stringer. Been with the bass since 1968.

JrORsjo.jpg

Looking through all the replies, it's interesting how many guitarists on the forum were inspired to play by the Beatles and Kiss. Maybe it's a generation thing or to do with where people come from, but I find it quite unusual. Growing up in my hometown during the 90's & early 2000's most guitarists were into grunge & alternative music - I guess mainly inspired by stuff like Smashing Pumpkins, Pixies, Pearl Jam & Dinosaur Jnr. There was a big metal scene too. Nobody I knew (myself included) were particularly into either the Beatles or Kiss.

In Leeds when I started studying music there were lots of Jazz guys and people into funk/soul and R&B. I then moved to London to do Jazz and obviously all the players were mainly into that, but outside of it there was all kinds of music going on - World, Pop, Hip Hop, Rock, Indie and so on. There were A LOT of indie bands both down there and up here in Yorkshire. I never did like Indie as it sucks IMO...

Anyway my main point is a lot of Americans seem to adore the Beatles and Kiss, whereas over here I don't think they are quite as influential to younger players from the 80's, 90's and 00's.

Just an observation.

Well, "The Beatles" made me get "serious" about playing. But, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, The Kingsmen, and The Beach Boys, were my first influences=reason to get a guitar, etc.

CB

Seeing Elvis on Milton Berle. The sound of Scotty Moore's guitar kept me awake all night long. That was the summer of 1956 I believe. I started taking lessons in August of that year. Been pretty much a blast since.

Nice first album as an introduction mate. Couldn't have done any better!

It's gotcha now eh!

KISS and Ace were definitely the first influence on my desire to play the guitar. Especially the Live versions of "God of Thunder" and "Shock Me".

Another was when I heard the song "Sultans of Swing" on the radio. I distinctly remember thinking to myself that I had to learn to play guitar, if for no other reason than to someday play that song.

Man that sounds real good through headphones right now! So can you play it?

The opening notes to Up Around the Bend........... oh and The Beatles and girls.

They instantly converted me from classic and sob stuff to rock at the age of twelve, causing lots of distress to my Mother's ears for many years [biggrin]

For me it was Eric Clapton. I remember spending hours sitting listening to my dads records, picking up each LP and praying it wasn't scratched, and it was always the Eric Clapton albums I gravitated towards. Standing almost in silhouette with his Strat, I was mesmerised. Took a few years for me to get one mind :D

I was born in '83. My parents listened to classic rock...the beatles, the rolling stones, the who, etc. When I was young i got into the grunge movement, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soungdarden and when i was about 13-14 I heard Green Day's Dookie and Blink 182's Dude ranch and realized I could play along! I learned all their songs, then learned a bunch of Nirvana songs, then Pearl Jam and Soundgarden and Silverchair and Alice and Chains, then onto classic rock with some beatles and rolling stones and Etc....I was hooked.

Man that sounds real good through headphones right now! So can you play it?

Yep. When I started taking lessons around age 14 or 15, I eventually got proficient enough to ask my teacher to teach me that song and the solos. He didn't bother with all the fills.

I was playing sax in a rock band. Unfortunately, every record that we covered didn't have a sax part or a place to force a sax part. So the guitar player in the band showed me some chords and let me play his 'other guitar' on those songs. I enjoyed the guitar. I already played drums (my first instrument) and I went on to learn bass, keys, wind synth, flute and computer.

When I was in my early 20's, over 30 years ago, I found a guitar in the attic of a house I bought. A crappy old Japanese Teisco piece of junk, a crappy 10 watt Crown SS amp and a coiled cord.

As far as influences go, I couldn't even tell what instrument was making what sound in a recorded song. I couldn't pick out the guitar from the keyboard, or electric guitar from acoustic, but a friend of mine told me that the tone I liked was overdriven electric guitar.

So I rushed out and bought a second hand Boss Super OD and another cord to be able to hook it up. Even with that crappy guitar and amp, it just sounded like the tone I liked. I was hooked. I didn't care to sound just like any one player, and nobody influenced me at the time, just the guitar and amp and that OD pedal.

Besides girls. A weird hodgpodge of bands. Cinderella (very under rated blus rock band), which led to 80's metal. Then I heard No Rest for the Wicked by Ozzy (Zakk Wylde) That's when all hell broke loose and I found Sabbath, Priest, Dio, Randy Rhoads, then after randy I listened to classical and found Blackmore and Rainbow, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Via, Joe satcriani, Joe Bonamassa, bb king, buddy guy, clapton, I know I left a bunch out but The list goes on and on. So Cinderella was the start then ozzy and zakk drove it home.

The Beatles got me interested in music in general. Love 'em to this day.

What actually got me interested in playing though, was Deep Purple, Trower, Zeppelin, Bad Company...and surprisingly, America. Loved their harmonies and the acoustic work. Given that George Martin also produced them, guess it all comes full-circle back to the Beatles.

Other than girls - I started on the folkie side - Pete Seger, Woody Guthrie, Weavers, early Bob Dylan ... I started doing rock more with the Beach Boys influence than the Beatles at least early on.

So it was weed?

yeah, strictly a listener/spectator til i started smokin the ganja. i don't even play my favorite music genres (doo-wop, easy listening, r&b, classic rock, new wave). just whatever's come easiest (hardcore, thrash, grind)....