Gibson Brands Forums

What was/is your favorite musical time period?

charlie brown

This can include ALL your favorite music, or just Rock, if you prefer!

Mine, is definitely the '60's! 64, through '69! I love a lot

of music before, and since, but that's my overall favorite time period.

Just so much great Rock and Pop/Rock, Folk/Rock, Blues/Rock, made then!

What's your's? [biggrin]

CB

This is a great question.

Rock: '70s mainly due to the fact that, not only were there so may great bands, but so many great writers and technical players. R'n'R grew up. British rock, southern (blues) rock, new wave, punk, metal, disco (yuk!), etc.

Country: '50s Classic country is SO much better than anything since.

Jazz: Because this form has been around for so long, I'd have to pick two time periods: the '30s and the '50s. The '70s weren't bad either with the development of fusion.

Classical: 1790-1810 Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven

Blues: It's all good.

Yeah, "Classical" I love, as well as the "Blues!" And, the time frame is more "fluid" (for me) with them...

it's like there's great stuff, in all eras. "Country," I agree with Zig Zag...'50's Classics, for sure, or

at least the writers and artists that came into their own, during that time. And, to be honest, I probably

appreciate '50's Rock & Roll, more now, than I did at the time...I was a bit young, to fully appreciate it,

at that time. So, the '60's "British Invasion" era was (and still is) my favorite, as not only did they do

Great songs, on their own, but they brought our music, back to us, in a lot of ways.

CB

Mine, is definitely the '60's! 64, through '69!

Exactly the same here. There was a mostly peaceful revolution going on in those years, and the songwriters and musicians were right on top of it. So many great groups in that era... Muddy Waters, BB King, Clapton, Arlo, Donovan, Tim Buckley, Laura Nyro, Dave Van Ronk, Richard and Mimi, Sandy Bull, Jimmy Smith, Brian Auger, Gabor Szabo, Velvet Underground and Nico, Keith Jarrett and Charles Lloyd.... Of course the Beatles and Stones, Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon, Led Zep, the Dead, the Airplane, the Byrds, Peter Paul and Mary, Mamas and Papas, Dave Brubeck, Ramsey Lewis, Vince Guiraldi, Mose Allison, Taj Mahal, Buffalo Springfield..... I've probably missed more than I've remembered....

Late 1960's through the early 1980's. Basically from the Hard Rock period brought in my Hendrix, the Who and others to the MTV era. MTV was a huge disappointment for me. I had longed for something like it. Invisioning something like a "The Midnight Special" or "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" channel. With our favorite Rock bands playing LIVE. Especially of interest to me as a budding guitarist who wanted to watch them play and gain insights into neck positions etc on songs.

But most of the bands had little interest in making videos. And were replaced by a new genre of younger artists who usually acted out their video's. Instead of actually performing songs in them. Some of the Rock bands came around eventually. But the seeds of change had been sown and had begun to take root.

If I had to pick one decade, it would probably be the 70s.

I know there was some really cheesy pop stuff, but the good pop songs were great IMO. A lot of great rock and early metal too. The studio recordings had really reached their height, before everything went digital.

Yeah, lots of great songs in the other decades, but I'll take the 70s if that's all I have to listen to.

Late 1960's through the early 1980's. Basically from the Hard Rock period brought in my Hendrix, the Who and others to the MTV era. MTV was a huge disappointment for me. I had longed for something like it. Invisioning something like a "The Midnight Special" or "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" channel. With our favorite Rock bands playing LIVE. Especially of interest to me as a budding guitarist who wanted to watch them play and gain insights into neck positions etc on songs.

But most of the bands had little interest in making videos. And were replaced by a new genre of younger artists who usually acted out their video's. Instead of actually performing songs in them. Some of the Rock bands came around eventually. But the seeds of change had been sown and had begun to take root.

Total agreement. Well said. [thumbup] There was a period in the mid '90s that showed some promise. Alas, it didn't last.

There's good & bad music in each of those decades, but as a matter of personal preference, I liked the '70s. Loved the "golden era" of guitar. I like melodic hard rock and the two seemed to go hand in hand...Mick Ralphs & Bad Company, Jimmy Page & Zeppelin, Richie Blackmore & Deep Purple / Rainbow, Manny Charleton & Nazareth, the Youngs were on the way up with AC/DC, Eddie & Van Halen, Peter Frampton (pre-teen idol era), Rossington / Collins / King / Gaines with Skynyrd, Dave Hlubeck and Molly Hatchet...the list could go on quite a bit further, but you get the idea.

I enjoyed a lot of the music from the '60s (in fact, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Beatles fan), but the production vales were so primitive in most cases, it kept me from enjoying the recordings.

The '80s? Synths, "Boy Bands" & "Hair Metal" just never did it for me (though I'll freely admit to Madonna being a guilty pleasure). All in all, I think there's plenty of music of all genres out there to keep ALL of happier than the proverbial pig in poop.

I like this because it's one of those "no right answer" kind of things. As with CB, the 60's for me was it for a lot of reasons. I started playing in '61. Beatles, British invasion (the CNN series THE SIXTIES has a segment on the BI and one of the bands said it best - we were all trying to outdo each other). Also, several musical "genres" were, well, rockin and a rollin', and a lot of music came together. Today's country has no clue, blues is blues, and rockabilly is a great "tweener" for a lot of stuff. All that said, there's good stuff out there no matter the genre.

Like I said, it's a "no right answer" question.

Rock on.

Agree, they/ve all had their moments, and great music, so yeah...there is no right or wrong answers,

just some personal preferences. There have always been "sparks" here and there, and some fires,

too...but, from 1964 to say 1974...it wasn't on fire, it was EXPLODING, IMHO. Will we ever see

the likes of that kind of intensity, overall quality, and sheer numbers? I don't know.

But, I (try to) remain "open," and "hopeful," at the same time. [biggrin]

CB

But, I (try to) remain "open," and "hopeful," at the same time. [biggrin]

CB

As much of an old fogey as I am, I can still appreciate people like Neon Trees, Kings of Leon, Mumford & Sons, et al, so it's all good and all evolving, isn't it?

If I have to stick to the decades I would go with the 70's and then the 60's but if i could split them I would say from 1963 to 1978 my least favorite may be the 80's it was just disappointing after the 60's and 70's of course that is just my opinion...Some great insight and opinions here.

I definitely do not subscribe to the "there's no good music now" philosophy and I listen to a ton of newer bands.

However, my favorite albums often seem to come from the early 70's (though 1969 had a bunch of winners too). I'd say '69-'74 does it for me. Before '69 stuff was a little poppy, and after '74 it was just too slick. I realize there are tons of exceptions to those generalities, still... that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :rolleyes:

Archived