Gibson Brands Forums

What was/is your favorite musical time period?

charlie brown

Well, to me..."Pop/Rock" in the 60's was GREAT, compared to these days, with some exceptions, as always.

Pop and Country are too "Cookie cutter" now. In "Country" especially, I have a hard time telling

one band, or performer, from another. They all sound exactly the same, to me. But, maybe, that's

just Me? [tongue][unsure] <_<

CB

Well, to me..."Pop/Rock" in the 60's was GREAT, compared to these days, with some exceptions, as always.

Pop and Country are too "Cookie cutter" now. In "Country" especially, I have a hard time telling

one band, or performer, from another. They all sound exactly the same, to me. But, maybe, that's

just Me? [tongue][unsure] <_<

CB

I don't think it is just you..I agree

As much of an old fogey as I am, I can still appreciate people like Neon Trees, Kings of Leon, Mumford & Sons, et al, so it's all good and all evolving, isn't it?

My 'favorite' period coincides with the time I was in high school into the early 20s. (I wonder if that's common...) But you're right. Much later I had occasion to have a small part in the post-production of this Blues Travelers video. These guys are great. Love the harp. That was around 1995.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ousaiByU1ko

My 'favorite' period coincides with the time I was in high school into the early 20s. (I wonder if that's common...) But you're right. Much later I had occasion to have a small part in the post-production of this Blues Travelers video. These guys are great. Love the harp. That was around 1995.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ousaiByU1ko

It IS quite common, I think. And, I (for one) have a tendency to like "new bands/performers" who have a similar approach

and/or style, to what I loved at that time...among other's as well. One example: The Byrds (then), Tom Petty, later/still!

Similar in style, but also different enough to be unique themselves. If that makes any sense? [biggrin]

CB

It IS quite common, I think. And, I (for one) have a tendency to like "new bands/performers" who have a similar approach and/or style, to what I loved at that time...among other's as well. One example: The Byrds (then), Tom Petty, later/still!

Good point... another possible example...

Rolling Stones/Black Crowes

For me its the 80's. I graduated HS in 1988 so the music of that era I guess reminds me of my youth. Hair Nation is a regular on my XM radio! I listen to and enjoy just about all music. Genre and time. I think its rubbing off on my kids too. My 11 yo has everything from AC/DC to One Direction on his iPod. He told me the other day he needs some L.A. Guns on it! Love that kid!

This can include ALL your favorite music, or just Rock, if you prefer!

Mine, is definitely the '60's! 64, through '69! I love a lot

of music before, and since, but that's my overall favorite time period.

Just so much great Rock and Pop/Rock, Folk/Rock, Blues/Rock, made then!

What's your's? [biggrin]

CB

I'm pretty much right in there with you, but I'd expand that from at least '62 and possibly back as far as say '58 to incorporate some really awesome pioneering early original stuff from Albert Collins, The Ventures, The Shadows, Duane Eddy, BB King, and Lonnie Mack, Roy Buchanan, and I think some of Albert King and Freddy King's early stuff, that are mostly or at least somewhat unknown. I'll put some T-bone Walker. Eddie Taylor, and Lowell Fulson in there too...

On the other end I gotta expand to include to the end of his life for Duane Allman to at least '71 to get some Doors w/Morrison (mostly for guitarist Robby Krieger) and some of Jimi's work even though I'll agree his best stuff was '69 & before.

My expansion of your era will be '58-'71.

I have found that my favorite times are transitional. I like stuff from the years right arounf 1970 and 1980 and 1990. At each of these point it seems a tired old style of music was being replaced by a new style with a bit more roughness to it. I like that.

I'm pretty much right in there with you, but I'd expand that from at least '62 and possibly back as far as say '58 to incorporate some really awesome pioneering early original stuff from Albert Collins, The Ventures, The Shadows, Duane Eddy, BB King, and Lonnie Mack, Roy Buchanan, and I think some of Albert King and Freddy King's early stuff, that are mostly or at least somewhat unknown. I'll put some T-bone Walker. Eddie Taylor, and Lowell Fulson in there too...

On the other end I gotta expand to include to the end of his life for Duane Allman to at least '71 to get some Doors w/Morrison (mostly for guitarist Robby Krieger) and some of Jimi's work even though I'll agree his best stuff was '69 & before.

My expansion of your era will be '58-'71.

Yeah, I wouldn't argue with that "expansion," at all! [thumbup]

CB

I have found that my favorite times are transitional. I like stuff from the years right arounf 1970 and 1980 and 1990. At each of these point it seems a tired old style of music was being replaced by a new style with a bit more roughness to it. I like that.

Yea, music movements start pure, succeed commercially, get watered down, even the bands that started the movement join the watered down sound and then new bands replace them and a new movement starts and so does a new cycle.

You know, I've thought about it ever since I saw the topic, and to tell the truth, I just can't decide.

Every period from Beethoven to the present has had it's jewels and dogs (I don't care much for pre-Beethoven music, although a lot of it was sheer genius for its day).

If someone asked me what kind of band would be my dream band, it would be have to be variety.

Why?

Oh, I love psychedelic rock as it's challenging to play, but then what about cool school jazz which is also challenging, or blues where you get to emote your guts out, or salsa with those tricky rhythms and harmonies, or a symphony orchestra where you get to play Prokofiev, Dvorak, and Shostakovitch, or 50s rock with the polyrhythms and blues influence, or 40s swing music with those great chord progressions, or bop which is also extremely challenging or klezmer which I've never tried or zydeco with it's unbounded joy or ... ... ... I couldn't decide.

So for me there are two kinds of music, music that I like and music written for other people.

Notes

So, Bob...no actual "favorite" musical time period, overall? Interesting. While, as I've stated, I love

a lot of music, from a lot of different era's, I definitely do have a favorite era where everything seemed

to be a bit more "magical," as it were. I guess it's the music I keep coming back to, no matter how far

away I get, from time to time.

CB

"Around March 3 1974. I'm mean we had joy, we had fun. We had Benny and the jets..."

This particular period of music you enjoyed....was that the 10:38am period or the 2:43pm period? There was a big difference you know.

I tell folks all the time, the 60s through to the mid 70s. SO much innovation; Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Traffic, Beatles, Stones, JIMI HENDRIX, Allman Bros., Santana... Heck- even the pop on the radio wasn't too terrible [tongue] To me that period was like a who's who (The Who, too!)of Rock and Roll Bests. I liked the virtuosity of the bands I listened to- it was cool to have complex and layed songs, lyrics that provoked something. Yes, I grew up then and I miss that era. I was lucky- Mom was very into the folk movement of the early 60s and was a music major in college.

Love the 30s and 40s; jazz, big bands, blues- although admittedly I am not nearly as well versed in those time periods.

Brian

Archived