Gibson Brands Forums

Trolling for a new SG

PickyPick

Hey All,

I'm currently on the market to buy a new SG and I am tied between the 2 choices right now. 2014 Gibson SG Standard (because i hate the Les Paul signature on the 2015 models) or an old 2007-2009 61 Reissue. I like the way these both look because of the half bat pick guard and i also have read about some things about the new 2014 Models that kinda steers me away from them. I like the fact it has a Mini Tune and mentioned in a previous post i am going to possibly put that on my 2008 SG Standard if I acquire the 2014 SG. Ive been reading reviews that the 61 Reissue during that time frame were also solid guitars and were nearly flawless. I don't know I'm just rambling now but i am tied between the two price difference doesn't really affect me much (2014 being about 1,400 and 61 Reissue going from 1,100 ~ 1,500)

Anyway if anyone can give me some inputs on both these guitars if you happen to own them both it would be greatly appreciated

Picky Pick

None of them two models you suggested here, albeit some other SGs.

When about the 2014 Standard in particular, it may also depend on if you like coil split options. They add nice tone colours, and I love them on several LPs and the FZ "Roxy" SGs of mine.

Either would be a good choice! But, if you have the opportunity, check out the SG "Original," as well.

It's an Awesome model, on it's own! [thumbup]

And...I too, don't care for the "Les Paul" scrawl signature, on the current 2015 SG's. It's ironic,

as Les Paul never rally warmed up to SG's even when they were introduced as his "New" signature model.

He actually had Gibson stop using his name, on those guitars. I'm not sure what HE didn't like about

the SG models, but to each his/her own. I LOVE SG's! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

well as i mentioned price does not matter but i do have a Cap, and that sits at about 1800 dollars. So that rules out Custom Shop SG's. I have 1 SG now and it became my beater guitar as upsetting as that is. I love my SG Standard a lot but i kinda just want a clean SG to keep and have my current standard to continue Gigging. How i came to those 2 guitars is simply the half bat wing. Not a lot of SG models that i looked at have this half bat pick guard and i guess its purely cosmetics im after at this point i already have a feel of how an SG plays and i absolutely love it.

I guess the main question is how is Gibsons Quality in 2014 vs a known good 2008? Ive been doing a lot of reading and have been reading about Gibson's steady decline in quality as well as them using more then 2 pieces of wood to make SG's now etc a lot of myths and i dont believe them all but they sit at the back of my head.

I don't think Gibson's quality has been in "Steady Decline?" They have done some "odd" things, feature wise...IMHO,

to some models, especially in the last 2 years, or so. But, if my own SG's are any indication, at all, the overall

quality it as good or better, than it's ever been. One may not care for the "direction" they're currently going, in

regards to spec's and features. But, the build quality and finishes are great! Sure, there will always be some issues

now and then...they ARE "mass produced," after all. And, that happens with all mass produced guitars, now and then.

But, again...IMHO, overall quality, and consistency is pretty amazing, all things considered. Plus, YOU/WE have the best

guarantee, going...and that is, the choice NOT to buy ANY guitar, or other consumer item, if it doesn't measure up![biggrin]

CB

CB,

I am actually really glad to hear that but i think im going to shoot for the 61 Reissue just because its been on my sights for a very long time and i want the real thing. SG Standard looks nice and has similar features as the 61 but its not the 61. I also like the minitune but it is by no means a deal breaker for me. Thanks for all the inputs :D

CB,

I am actually really glad to hear that but i think im going to shoot for the 61 Reissue just because its been on my sights for a very long time and i want the real thing. SG Standard looks nice and has similar features as the 61 but its not the 61. I also like the minitune but it is by no means a deal breaker for me. Thanks for all the inputs :D

Well, that's an excellent choice, no doubt! All my SG's are based on the '61, in fact the '61 Tribute SG/Les Paul,

is just that, only with an "improved" side vibrola, and chrome hardware as opposed to nickle plated.

Best Wishes, on your purchase, and playing!

CB

Archived